Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Roles in Australia for Graduates (sponsored employment from Ireland)

Options
  • 31-05-2013 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

I am considering the possibility of emigrating to Australia, I am completing an MSc Conversion in Computer Science at the moment.

However, when I was in my early twenties I used the 1 year visa which I used to work casually so this is not an option. I am now 27 and would need to get sponsored employment.

Looking at the consolidated sponsored occupation list, I may fit the bill for a variety of roles if Australian Employers are taking on graduates from overseas.

Has anybody secured employment in this manner, whilst still in Ireland? I would imagine it is quite difficult.

Thanks for any tips

Note: I would most likely be pursuing non-programming only roles such as ICT Support, networking, business analyst etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

What's your CV/experience like?

The MSc will be of little use really, there are thousands of local and Asian graduates competing for grad work so experience is really key to setting you apart...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You will find it difficult to get sponsored with no experience, or a grad role.
    Grad jobs usually pay under the minimum wage for IT sponsorship, and the point of sponsorship is to plug a skills gap, which grad roles don't really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

You usually need 4+ years of relevant experience in a role on the list to obtain a sponsored visa. And with the current political mess going on with a focus on rorting etc... any leeway that may have been afforded in the past will reduce.
    The idea behind visas like the 457 is to bring experienced people into Australia to fill gaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

ArseBurger wrote: »
    You usually need 4+ years of relevant experience in a role on the list to obtain a sponsored visa. And with the current political mess going on with a focus on rorting etc... any leeway that may have been afforded in the past will reduce.
    The idea behind visas like the 457 is to bring experienced people into Australia to fill gaps.

I was thinking that this would be the case, Ill hopefully get a few years experience in Ireland or the UK, and maybe then make a move down under:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yep, you'll find it very hard get an IT support or networking job in any country without doing a few years on helpdesk, in desktop support or building servers etc to get some experience. Degrees and Masters etc look great on paper but you've got to do the grind at some entry-level roles first before your options for BA or other roles improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

As much bad press as job bridge gets its worth it in the long run provided its a role in your field. If i had known that before I came to oz I would of tried to convince a company to create a job bridge position for me and i would of done it in a heart beat.

Advertisement