Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Tourist Train

Options
  • 31-05-2013 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭

It launched today, had been alluded to in the 'Rickshaw' thread. Looks nice, not sure of it as a business venture but fair play to all involved. The Discover Galway FB page has more details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

It launched today, had been alluded to in the 'Rickshaw' thread. Looks nice, not sure of it as a business venture but fair play to all involved. The Discover Galway FB page has more details.
    Saw it over the weekend..was actually behind it for a while, it goes on a good spin of the city. I'd say it would be well worth getting if you were a tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Www.galwayTouristTrain.com

To me it looks more like a bus than a train ... no tracks, to start with.

Im not sure of its license status, i looked up the NTA's list yesterday, and couldn't see it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Www.galwayTouristTrain.com

To me it looks more like a bus than a train ... no tracks, to start with.

Im not sure of its license status, i looked up the NTA's list yesterday, and couldn't see it there.

Categorised in the same way the city sightseeing tours are if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

So he gets free parking any time in the clearway outside the Foster Court hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

slider5.jpg

Probably will go down well with the kids and tourists.

• Advertisement

dilallio wrote: »
    So he gets free parking any time in the clearway outside the Foster Court hotel.

No he has a designated bay up near Richardsons which the City council have given him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I go to Albuferia, Portugal twice a year and they've had one of these for years, I use it vertually every day when I'm there. I must say though that it's a lot cheaper than this one and runs much later into the night.

Very useful. It means you can get to areas without long walks or costly taxis and pick an area that suits you to eat or drink in.

Best of luck to them, let's hope it's a success.

It makes perfect sense: the tourist bus operators who run scheduled, public-access services (ie not charters) all have licenses for their services.

But I couldn't see an entry of the list of licences for this venture.

And I wonder if the vehicle really meets the safety standard for a bus operating on public roads? (seat belts? windows? the commercial vehicle version of an NCT?). Maybe there's some exemption for low speed vehicles ...

Not trying to be a kill joy, just asking the logical questions. We want all our tourists to be leaving Galway uninjured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Tourist Train has a nice alliteration and the novelty factor is there with the design.

Anyone know the cost of it, if you can hop on/off across town etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

inisboffin wrote: »
    Tourist Train has a nice alliteration and the novelty factor is there with the design.

Anyone know the cost of it, if you can hop on/off across town etc?

€8 for an adult!

That is outrageous.

• Advertisement

It makes perfect sense: the tourist bus operators who run scheduled, public-access services (ie not charters) all have licenses for their services.

But I couldn't see an entry of the list of licences for this venture.

And I wonder if the vehicle really meets the safety standard for a bus operating on public roads? (seat belts? windows? the commercial vehicle version of an NCT?). Maybe there's some exemption for low speed vehicles ...

Not trying to be a kill joy, just asking the logical questions. We want all our tourists to be leaving Galway uninjured.

Neither city buses nor sightseeing buses have seat belts so there is obviously a way around that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Neither city buses nor sightseeing buses have seat belts so there is obviously a way around that?

either do trains

Fares from their website:

Adult €8.00
    Senior/Student/Backpacker €6.00
    Children over 5 years €5.00
    Children up to 5 years €2.00
    Family Ticket = 2 adults + 1/2 children €20.00
    Family Ticket = 2 adults + 3/4 children €25.00

... not that outrageous when you consider that it's a hop-on-hop-off one day ticket with 11 services each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Gambas wrote: »
    €8 for an adult!

That is outrageous.

I'd call that reasonable if it's hop on hop off? Isn't the Dublin one nearly double that? Student/backpacker is 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I have this strange urge to fill it with boisterous Oompa Loompas and drive around at dawn early on a Saturday/Sunday morning to freak out the last revelers walking home.....:pac:

I can't explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I have this strange urge to fill it with boisterous Oompa Loompas and drive around at dawn early on a Saturday/Sunday morning to freak out the last revelers walking home.....:pac:

I can't explain it.

I've got the feeling that you need some treatment.:)

If you don't get any however, let me know when you're going to give in to this strange urge and I'll join you. You can drive and I'll collect the money:D.

Hold on though, do Oompa Loompas have pockets to keep money in?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Count me in as well.

I'm sure we can get little bum bags for the Oompa Loompas to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'd call that reasonable if it's hop on hop off? Isn't the Dublin one nearly double that?
    And don't get me started on the London ones :mad: For the novelty I think 8 euro isn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

When I checked on Sunday it was €10 per adult, €8 not bad, nearly did it at €10. I would pay €10 with the Oompa Loompas!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I can't explain it.

I'd pay €8 to be on board for that.

• Advertisement

01902 wrote: »
    When I checked on Sunday it was €10 per adult, €8 not bad, nearly did it at €10. I would pay €10 with the Oompa Loompas!

Yeah - I had a quick look on Sunday too, and thought that was what I saw.

Wouldn't surprise me if they adjust the prices / schedule over the next few weeks. Market responsiveness and all. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Will be interesting to see what happens if they get busy. The 'terminus' outside Gala has only space for two carriages. According to an earlier post somewhere it can pull four or five.

Advertisement