Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused hiking pole !!!!

Options
  • 31-05-2013 2:40pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking for a hiking pole but not for hiking.

It will be used as a hand held sports camera support - where the camera fits on the end and records oneself or items from a different angle.
    Ideal as light weight and extendable. Have been using a painting roller handle but it's too heavy.

So, does anyone have an unused or damaged pole (top ground/support piece not needed of course) - still extenable would be great.

Can collect (leinster) or pay for postage,

Thx

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'll have a look, but I'm sure I have the remnants of 2 or 3 disused walking poles in my shed. Not sure if they'll still slide in and out or if they've corroded together in the meantime, but you're welcome to them if you want. I'll report back in a while ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Good news, you're in luck ... I've actually got 4 fully functioning, but slightly shabby, poles, so you're welcome to one if you want. I'm in Bray and you can collect any time. PM me for address details.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am looking for a hiking pole but not for hiking.

It will be used as a hand held sports camera support - where the camera fits on the end and records oneself or items from a different angle.
    Ideal as light weight and extendable. Have been using a painting roller handle but it's too heavy.

So, does anyone have an unused or damaged pole (top ground/support piece not needed of course) - still extenable would be great.

Can collect (leinster) or pay for postage,

Thx

K.

Why don't you get a monopod???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I've always been puzzled by benefits of these - have an extendable monopod, like a trekking pole with camera mount on top. But gave up carrying it as could never see how to use effectively - much simpler and quicker to brace your arm or body against a tree or pole or whatever solid object is handy. How do you steady a monopod? Always seemed barely better than straight hand held shot? Curious :)

Maybe you ram it into the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

BarryD wrote: »
    I've always been puzzled by benefits of these - have an extendable monopod, like a trekking pole with camera mount on top. But gave up carrying it as could never see how to use effectively - much simpler and quicker to brace your arm or body against a tree or pole or whatever solid object is handy. How do you steady a monopod? Always seemed barely better than straight hand held shot? Curious :)

Maybe you ram it into the ground?

Hi Barry,

They're mainly used by sports and wildlife photographers and usually in conjunction with big, heavy cameras and lenses, say a 300mm f/2.8 or bigger, where they do give noticeably extra stability (at long focal lengths even the slightest hand tremor is amplified when you look through the viewfinder because the angle of view is so small) and take the strain off your arms and back if you're lugging one of these awkward beasts around all day.

Their utility for smaller camera/lens combinations is more dubious - as you say, it's just as easy and effective to brace yourself against a tree or a wall or something. The one exception is the sort of use the OP is talking about; I've gotten some good pictures with a fisheye lens on my camera mounted on a monopod so I can hoist it up above my subjects (or myself).

Usage: well the most stable structure you can have is a tripod, so stand with your legs apart and centre the monopod between your legs so the foot of the monopod and your two feet form an even triangle and, hey presto!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Alun,
    thanks - appreciate that indeed. Om on way.

Monopod - as stated, used for folks with large lenses etc but this is what I'll be using the pole for --- cool vid too. Using a Contour Roam.
    On a mountainbike, motorcycle, hiking etc etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85VErvTqgWc

Family hols last year with a sports cam in pool/waterpark/evenings - all merged to a 8min vid - just super.

thanks

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Ah I see, thanks - I get the idea now. I suppose I normally use a compact type which is why I never saw much benefit. If you're raising above a crowd etc., I suppose you put it on 'auto' and use the timer to expose the shot.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Barry
    not even to do that. A monopod with a proper attachement for a dslr would be needed for that.

I'll be using it for one of these - sports cam.
    http://store.contour.com/ae/international/page/home

You can attach them to anywhere - mountain bike/m-cycle forks, helmets etc
    waterproof and fairly sturdy.

all fun :D

k

Advertisement