Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H Dip Psychology Advice/Recommended Reading

Options
  • 31-05-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

I have recently been accepted into the Higher Diploma in Psychology in UCD (delighted) and I was just wondering if anyone has experience of the course and could offer advice as to what I can do in preparation for September? And what to expect from the course?

Are there books on the subject that would be of use being familiar with? I am really excited about getting started and would appreciate any direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Congrats on getting in to the course. You could start by reading Putting Psychology in Its Place by Michael Richards on the history of Psychology (I believe the first five chapters of part one, part three and part five are applicable to the UCD module). It's not an academic textbook so it works for everyday reading.

Other than that, I would recommend getting a book on writing Psychology papers. You'll be writing plenty of lab reports and essays and I think having an idea of how to write would be great help before the start of the course. I haven't read this book but it seems to do the job going by its contents:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Write-Psychology-Student-Guide/dp/1405156945/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370039108&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+write+in+psychology

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sunnies

Hi OP,

Congratulations on getting onto the course. I have just completed it, so if you would like to ask any questions feel free to message me.
    Honru is correct that there is a history module within the course, but there is a specific book attached to it (available online). Definitely worth familiarising yourself with writing style and APA referencing. Also any stats if possible.

Advertisement