Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird issue with USB stick

Options
  • 31-05-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

A customer where I work was using one of public computers and had two USB sticks inserted. Both were accessible but then he said when he tried to access one of the sticks later all the files were different. See screen shot below.
    None of the files can be opened or even moved from the USB stick. Luckily it was a backup so a format can be done but I was wondering in anyone had come across something like this before. A virus scan came up with nothing.

256304.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'd say he didn't eject the USB disks properly before removing them.
    Caused some disk corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'd say he didn't eject the USB disks properly before removing them.
    Caused some disk corruption.

That was my first thought as well. Oddly enough one of the files is over 2gb in size, even though he never put anything other than word documents on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

the filenames are being shown as unicode, that's odd. The modified dates are from 73 years in the future.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    the filenames are being shown as unicode, that's odd. The modified dates are from 73 years in the future.

I hadn't even noticed the dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,317 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you still have a copy of this rogue data?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

It's Jerry Garcia! In 2085 he'll be Dead for 90 years, Dead but Grateful, sprinkling notes of gratitude on USB sticks.

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you still have a copy of this rogue data?

not sure. I'll check with the guy who owns it next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

This happened to me on a Chinese usb stick that read as 8gb on the computer but any more than 2gb messed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

these guys might be able to help

7158.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Check the USB key with this, could be a fake USB key

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement