Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Senior Ladies

Options
  • 31-05-2013 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Just thought that they deserve a separate thread. If not, then delete!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Next ECB match on 23rd June.

Then 3 matches against Pakistan in UK and t20 qualifiers start 23rd July.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Yay to a thread for our Test side. Pity they can't find any opposition. They did play Pakistan once 13 years ago (and crushed them in two days) but nothing since. Isobel Joyce and Clare Shillington are both still going for Ireland but the rest are gone (Ciara Metcalfe seems to be out of favour and could yet reappear) but I wonder if they'll get a chance at a second test before they retire. At this rate it isn't looking likely. Hell at this rate it looks like the men could yet get to two tests before the women. Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

minitrue wrote: »
    Yay to a thread for our Test side. Pity they can't find any opposition. They did play Pakistan once 13 years ago (and crushed them in two days) but nothing since. Isobel Joyce and Clare Shillington are both still going for Ireland but the rest are gone (Ciara Metcalfe seems to be out of favour and could yet reappear) but I wonder if they'll get a chance at a second test before they retire. At this rate it isn't looking likely. Hell at this rate it looks like the men could yet get to two tests before the women. Sad.

I wouldn't give up hope, and I'm male! They have had some good results so far in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

The Ireland women's are playing a trial match today. Please see link

http://www.crichq.com/matches/50562

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

13 Year old Lucy O'Reilly picked in senior squad.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ireland/content/story/646827.html

• Advertisement

I realise interest in the Women's game here is obviously very low* as I drag this thread back to life from the depths and didn't spot anything about the other Ashes but ...

Tomorrow (Wednesday) see the first of 3 T20Is in YMCA/Claremont Road against the reigning World T20 champions Australia. Tomorrow and Friday's games start at 16:30 while Saturdays starts at 12:00. All 3 games will be streamed live in HD with full commentary but entrance is free so why not go down to see the action live and support the girls in green instead if you can. I know I wouldn't miss the chance to see Perry Vs Shillington in the flesh for anything!

Irish skipper Isobel Joyce is also returning from injury and gets a chance, against the toughest of opponents, to show how she has risen to #2 in the All-Round T20 rankings up from the #3 ranking which saw her honoured with her own congratulatory boards thread (she's now #14 on both the batting and bowling lists, Shillington is #18 on the batting list).

The full squad for the 3 games is:
    Isobel Joyce (capt) (Merrion), Laura Delany (Leinster), Kim Garth (Pembroke), Cecelia Joyce (Merrion), Shauna Kavanagh (Pembroke), Amy Kenealy (Leinster), Gaby Lewis (YMCA), Robyn Lewis (YMCA), Louise McCarthy (Pembroke), Ciara Metcalfe (Pembroke), Lucy O’Reilly (YMCA), Clare Shillington (YMCA), Elena Tice (Merrion), Mary Waldron (Malahide).

As I drag this thread back up from the depths I can't help but comment that:

Lucy O'Reilly has since played 14 T20Is since the last post here when she was first picked in the squad as a 13 year old showing it wasn't a crazy decision
    and
    Ciara Metcalfe has returned as I half-predicted leaving us with 3 Test players still active for Ireland and keeping the dream alive of a second slog at that cherry.

So COYGIG, it's a fearsome challenge but also a fabulous opportunity to test yourselves against the toughest of opponents, don't die wondering and back your talent, dedication and hard work.

* To be fair there seems also to be little interest in any Irish cricket unless the men are on TV and everyone has a chance to complain about them as they destroy their nerves again.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

I'm far from a big fan of the womans game but like any Irishman/woman I'll lend them my support and I'll follow their international progress.

Thought they did fairly well today vs much stronger opposition, put up a respectable performance. Saw some of the stream, batting definitely the weak link for me but who knows, in t20 any result is possible.

Was a superb effort to keep the Aussies down to that total but Shillington and Isobel going early was a huge blow to our chase. It was still great to see them all keep plugging away and not letting it go completely beyond the realms of possibility despite the loss of wickets until the last few overs (2 of the last 3 coming from Perry was never going to help though). Personally I'd question the batting order a little, probably one of the selections (but there's plenty of good reasons why I'm not the coach) and some bowling changes/choices, but given the all round performance there's no way you could coax me into naming any names, they all stood up to be counted superbly and gave it their all! Saying that some of the bowlers gave a way a few easy runs and there were a bunch of relatively unlucky little misfields that each gave another run away (along with a fine catch from Shillington on the rope and some other great bits of fielding), so we might have managed to keep them to even less! I think Kim was probably trying too hard to produce magic in that first over instead of backing herself to "just do what you do", but maybe it was just the conditions and the left/right hand opening combination rather then the adrenaline fuelled inspiration of taking on the best on home soil.

Absolutely correct Cricket fan that Australia are much stronger then us and no shame in admitting that (they are Pros afaiu apart from anything else). Ellyse Perry in particular really stood out to me with the ball (and her arm firing them in flat from the boundary was also pretty special). Going to be interesting to see what happens in the next two games (weather permitting), will we see a backlash from the Aussies or will the Irish have taken more confidence from this to go out and express themselves and push them even closer or maybe nick one? Have to remember that the Aussies are going back to finish the Ashes series with 3 T20s against E&W after this, so it's not only some ranking points on the line, but their team preparation to win the Ashes and individual chance to make sure they secure a place in the T20 side that should lift the Ashes.

Highlight of the day for me was Perry banging one in at the diminutive Lucy O'Reilly and giving away a wide for sticking it over her head ... and then Lucy practicising a vaguely AB style clip over the keeper she wished she'd played ;)

So damn right they put up an extremely respectable performance, in fact some experienced doyens of Irish Women's cricket were heard to suggest it was probably the greatest ever display by the Irish Women. If they can keep up those standards they'll be banging down the door of the ICC for inclusion in the ICC Women's Championship (another exclusive little club they've squeezed us out of).

Next stop Friday and the challenge to do it all again ... only better!

COYGIG

Advertisement