Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mysterious Tree

• 31-05-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi Boards
    In my garden there is a tree relatively close to my house, My da is worried that the roots will damage the foundation. I am trying to find out what it is and if it is necessary to remove it and what is the way to go about it, I attached a photo of the tree, any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Mountain ash, dont think there is any problems with that tree for now. Exactly how far is it from your foundations?

read this:

In spite of what you may read in newspapers or be told by insurance companies, there are no fixed minimum recommended distances that you should plant trees of certain species from buildings.

When choosing a tree or trees to plant, you should give careful consideration to design, in particular how they will fit with their surroundings when they have reached their mature size. Young trees are frequently planted in spaces which are too small to allow them to grow to maturity, and a consequence of this is that they may be disliked as they develop, frequently resulting in heavy pruning or removal. Consequently, it is important to consider the ultimate size of the tree when choosing what and where to plant.

If you live in an area where there is heavy clay soil it is possible that trees in close proximity to buildings may cause structural damage to them by causing soil shrinkage which can lead to downward movement called subsidence. This is rare and cannot easily be predicted and there are many factors which affect it including the nature of the soil, tree characteristics, foundation design and climate. In areas of heavy clay soil where building foundations are known to be shallow this issue should be considered when deciding where to plant trees and how to manage existing trees – further advice should be sought as necessary.

http://www.trees.org.uk/faqs/Distance-trees-to-building

the opposing view: see here for insurance guidelines ():

http://www.subsidencebureau.com/subsidence_trees.htm

The 7 meters suggested by the insurance viewpoint for a mountain ash is rediculous. Now if it were a poplar then that would be another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Thanks The tree is 4 meters away from the house so what would you suggest in that situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Sorbus tend to have a deep root profile so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the foundations being damaged, however each situation is different. It looks like a relatively young tree and could possibly be moved in the dormant season for peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Rowan (Mountain ash)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Thanks The tree is 4 meters away from the house so what would you suggest in that situation

The current size of the tree and the distance to foundations would not overly worry me.
    You can mitigate any root issues you are concerned about by putting in a root barrier adjactent to the foundations, or at about 2 meters from the tree.
    I think this tree is a bit large to replant elsewhere for it to do well, without a lot of husbandry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement