Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you able to do ordinary level but pick higher level paper for L.C.?

• 31-05-2013 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was just told that I would be doing ordinary level French in 5th year (which really ticked me off, I wished they would have consulted me before instead of leaving it till the last day). I've been doing higher level for the past 4 years and I really don't want to move down. Am I able to choose to do the higher level paper on the day of the L.C.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

millgate1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was just told that I would be doing ordinary level French in 5th year (which really ticked me off, I wished they would have consulted me before instead of leaving it till the last day). I've been doing higher level for the past 4 years and I really don't want to move down. Am I able to choose to do the higher level paper on the day of the L.C.?

What? You have a right to choose your levels! Ask to be put in an honours class if you want to do honours! I don't see how the school would think it's alright to choose a level for you without consulting you first (esp since you'd been doing honours up until now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You are the one who is sitting the paper in 2 years and the one who will have to study and work for the next 2 years and not the teacher. If you really want to do higher get your parents to go in to the school and complain or do it yourself.

But you cant sit in an ordinary class for 2 years and work at an ordinary level and then one day expect to do well in the higher paper. In my old school the teacher couldnt tell us to do ord. its was suggested. Tell your teacher you dont want to do ord. You are prepared to work hard and do your best. If it doesnt work out say by easter you will happily go to ord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭millgate1

What? You have a right to choose your levels! Ask to be put in an honours class if you want to do honours! I don't see how the school would think it's alright to choose a level for you without consulting you first (esp since you'd been doing honours up until now).

Would it make a difference if I didn't do too well in the J.C. exam? I went up to my French teacher and asked why, and she just told me that I didn't do well in the J.C. French exam and she thinks it was the right choice. I told her I really think I have improved since then and she just said to give ordinary a shot and we'll see what happens then. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

your teacher can't force you to drop down, they can only advise you. If your teacher keeps pushing this then you should go to principal. Junior cert results mean nothing, if you feel able for higher than keep on higher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭BQQ

Talk to the headmaster.
    If you want to do honours, you should be in an honours class and they should accomodate you.

I was repeatedly told by my teachers to do pass Irish. I just kept saying "no".
    They can't force you to drop down.

I did perfectly well in the Honours exam and got more points than i would have got in Ordinary level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 taraforest

I don't think your teacher should have said that, it was really rude especially since you've had another year of French since your JC.

I believe it should be the other way around, give Higher Level a shot and see if you can keep up. Forcing you into Ordinary Level won't show if you're capable of Higher Level.

I agree with the above posts, it seems you might need to get your parents involved since your teacher doesn't seem to understand that you really want to give Higher Level a try since you've been doing it all along.

Best of luck, I hope you get moved to the Higher Level class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,215 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can change the paper but you could easily be horribly adrift if you've not studied to that level with appropriate supports, tell the school in no uncertain terms that you want to do Higher if you intend to do the Higher paper.

Teacher tried to force me to do Ordinary Geography, got my only Higher A in it in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP - Is there a HL class being offered in your school, or is it that due to the cuts, they are offering what the majority will avail of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭millgate1

spurious wrote: »
    OP - Is there a HL class being offered in your school, or is it that due to the cuts, they are offering what the majority will avail of?

Well from what I know, there is only 1 ordinary class on one higher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

millgate1 wrote: »
    Well from what I know, there is only 1 ordinary class on one higher.

OK, so it's not a both levels in one class situation.

You should be able to make a arrangement with your teacher that if you go into the OL class in August, but score over x% in your October and/or Christmas tests, you can move to the HL class. There will certainly be people dropping the other way and making room in the HL class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement