Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pup setting off car alarm

• 31-05-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all, I have a small pup and if I leave him in the car alone (only for short stints, to run into shop, bank etc), within minutes the alarm goes off. Is it possible to disable the alarm internally?
    Its a Toyota Avensis, Valeo alarm.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

lock the car with the key in the door

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Soodle

Hi,

I would recommend that you get a seatbelt for your pup, this will restrict his movement and stop him setting off the alarm, and it’s also now the law for all dogs to have seatbelts while in the car. I wouldn’t recommend turning off your alarm. As far as I know Argos sell the seatbelts (or used to anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 maxtiny

Hi Pa990, I will try that, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Soodle wrote: »
    Hi,

I would recommend that you get a seatbelt for your pup, this will restrict his movement and stop him setting off the alarm, and it’s also now the law for all dogs to have seatbelts while in the car. I wouldn’t recommend turning off your alarm. As far as I know Argos sell the seatbelts (or used to anyway)

Can you please provide a link to this new law you refer to.

Hi Soodle, I bought him a seatbelt already (Clix), he is very restricted with this and can't move off the seat but the alarm still goes off, I will try locking it with the key and see if this works, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Hi,

My mistake it seems they are trying to bring in this law, I went o animal care college last year and the tutor taught us in one of our modules that this was now the law, but it’s clear it’s till in the pipelines, still might be worth considering for many dog owners though
    http://www.newstalk.ie/reader/47.301.341/7599/0/

Hope you find a way, pups can be a lot of hassle but it's worth it in the end:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

don't leave the pup in the car, on a warm day 10 mins in the car could kill him. no alarm going off, no chance of him destroying the interior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

*trying to picture a puppy strapped in a seatbelt*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

biko wrote: »

Puppy will get penalty points on his dog licence otherwise, allegedly.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

funny-cute-puppy-seatbelt-car.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7Hm_Fqx2o05IMRCfXjr6vRFQ5dc5pcfeJ2JWsfdX1ZShwNkbqeQ

:pac:

Actually I've seen people put black insulation tape over internal sensors to disable them.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Mikros

Soodle wrote: »
    Hi,

My mistake it seems they are trying to bring in this law, I went o animal care college last year and the tutor taught us in one of our modules that this was now the law, but it’s clear it’s till in the pipelines, still might be worth considering for many dog owners though
    http://www.newstalk.ie/reader/47.301.341/7599/0/

It is not even in the pipeline actually.
    The Department says the issue was raised after it sent a query from a member of the public to the Road Safety Authority on the issue. However in a statement this morning, Minister Leo Varadkar's department said there are no plans to legislate for dog seatbelts at this stage.

Here

My mistake then (and my tutors), I aplogise. It was just a reccomendation and as Maxtiny stated she actually bought one and other dog owners use them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Harcrid

The last few cars I have had with alarms have had buttons which you can press to disable the internal sensors for this exact scenario. You can then lock the car as normal and internal movement will not set it off.

My current Octavia has this button on the B pillar by the seatbelt. Other cars have had it on the dash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Put the mutt in the boot.

Hi all, thanks for all your help! The seat belt is a brilliant idea, it restricts his movement and is so simple, all I have to do is click it into the seatbelt in the car and then I can attach his lead on to it and it doubles up as a harness for walks. Check out "Clix, Car Safe"
    P.S. never heard of it until I got my puppy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

Actually I've seen people put black insulation tape over internal sensors to disable them.

I used to keep a small fluffy toy in the car for times when i needed to reduce the sensitivity, i would just place him in front of the sensor.

One day a friends dog was left in the car, so i placed the toy, and set the alarm. 2mins later the alarm (and the dog) started howling. We went back to find the toy had vanished!
    Back home, the toy reappeared in the garden, suitably slimy, after the dog coughed it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

To lock the car without arming the alarm, try pressing the unlock button immediately before the lock button, this works on some cars/alarms.

Advertisement