Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it seen as acceptable for women to hit men?

• 31-05-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭

I've been following a thread elsewhere on the site about groping and some of the women who have been victims of this were saying they would hit the guy that did it.

Now over here looking at it from a male point of view I have been groped in a nightclub but I have to say that there is no way would I hit the woman that did it, and if I did I would be up on assault charges.

I just get the feeling that it is not taken as seriously when a woman slaps a man in public compared to vice versa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I've been following a thread elsewhere on the site about groping and some of the women who have been victims of this were saying they would hit the guy that did it.

Now over here looking at it from a male point of view I have been groped in a nightclub but I have to say that there is no way would I hit the woman that did it, and if I did I would be up on assault charges.

I just get the feeling that it is not taken as seriously when a woman slaps a man in public compared to vice versa.

This is true. Women want equality and they go and think they can whack who they want and think its acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭leewarden

Neeson wrote: »
    This is true. Women want equality and they go and think they can whack who they want and think its acceptable.

Fair point. Maybe the woman should just put up with the groping. That would make us all equal.

leewarden wrote: »
    Fair point. Maybe the woman should just put up with the groping. That would make us all equal.

There's a right way to go about sorting it out. Don't fight back with violence and think you're not responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have seen women full on punch men for no particular reason and say Im a women so dont you dare hit me back. I have seen women beating their boyfriends and gardas staring and choosing to do nothing about it. But im pretty sure they would be quick to act if it was the other way around.

http://www.amen.ie/articles/corry.pdf

This hypothesis( educated guess based on observations)
    Say 25-30% of domestic violence is women on man and women are than 3 times likely to use a weapon on a man. Than a man on a women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

If a woman hit me I'd be fairly livid but I wouldn't be able to hit her back. I was brought up never to hit a girl. Still though, I despise women who think they can do what they want to lads because, more often than not they'll get away with it. They're scumbags.

• Advertisement

There's a right way to go about sorting it out. Don't fight back with violence and think you're not responsible.

I have seen women ask men to stop the groping and the men laughin about it. Groping is assault and women are more vulnérable to this and threatened by it.

I have seen women ask men to stop the groping and the men laughin about it. Groping is assault and women are more vulnérable to this and threatened by it.

Yes. But you can't go about battering each other either. There must be another way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

You're spot on OP.

If a woman smacks a bloke it's seen as a great laugh and entertainment for those watching on.But if a bloke were to do this he'd be arrested and charged with assault and possibly do time in prison and not to mention labeled every name under the sun.

It's called double standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Also, when I was in school (2 years ago), there were regular fights at lunch/after school. I'd say 80% were girl fights and they were as vicious as you'd ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Festy wrote: »
    It's called double standards.
    Actually, I believe it's called Positive Discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The topic reminded me of this video.

hefferboi wrote: »
    If a woman hit me I'd be fairly livid but I wouldn't be able to hit her back. I was brought up never to hit a girl. Still though, I despise women who think they can do what they want to lads because, more often than not they'll get away with it. They're scumbags.

I'd never touch a hair on a woman's head not unless she gave me some belt.

If a woman is well able to throw a slap she's well able to take one,that's how I see it anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's never okay for ANYONE to hit someone. Some women are just as vicious if not more so than men when it comes to fighting and then how dare the male stand up for himself. I am not a fighter, never been one for throwing slaps but if some girl hit my brother/male friend/boyfriend I would be dug out of her.

The op asked about women giving a groper a slap. That is not the same thing as women abusing men

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It's not ok for anyone to hit anyone unless, for example, a life is threatened.

I'm amazed how many people don't seem to get that.

Tend to be the "all men are bastards/women can't drive" crowd who do in general, I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I wouldn't hit a bloke never mind a woman.

Having said that, I don't put myself in the position to have to make that decision ie I don't get involved with argy bargy when Im out and I dont grope women with the exception of my girlfriend, but she is usually ok with that.

:pac:

For the most part though, there is an acceptability for women to strike men in "self defence" than if the genders were reversed, its just the way things are and tbh I dont think it will change in my lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

It's not ok for anyone to hit anyone unless, for example, a life is threatened.

I'm amazed how many people don't seem to get that.

Tend to be the "all men are bastards/women can't drive" crowd who do in general, I find.

How would you react if a bigger, stronger man aggressively groped your junk?

fits wrote: »

So if a woman went up and pinched your bum or grabbed your crotch, a man is well within his rights to turn around and lamp her in the chops? Double standards!

So if a woman went up and pinched your bum or grabbed your crotch, a man is well within his rights to turn around and lamp her in the chops? Double standards!

I never said that. I asked a question.

What would YOU do, if a bigger stronger strange man grabbed your junk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lads, if we quit the groping and hitting, and the ladies quit the groping and hitting, everybody would be happier. I really don't think you can equate the two. Nice people don't do either. Ar5eholes will always find a way to be ar5eholes though...

• Advertisement

I would tell them to stop.

In fact, it's happened and I did. Resolved without violence but a very embarrassed dickhead.

I would and have, told them to eff off and keep their hands to themselves. Now if they kept it up, I could see why they'd get a slap, as once you've told them to stop and they keep assaulting you, you should be able to defend yourself. This crack of turning around and upending someone is out of line, in my opinion of course.

In fact, it's happened and I did. Resolved without violence but a very embarrassed dickhead.

Thats good. I have never hit out at anyone either and I have been groped countless times. I didn't challenge the gropers when I was younger though, and I am not proud of that.

I am just a bit concerned that some posters here don't see groping for what it is. It is assault. Some times are more serious than others but it is assault. And when people are assaulted and threatened, sometimes they don't know how they will react to it. Some times, reaction in a physical manner could be seen as self defence.

Thats good. I have never hit out at anyone either and I have been groped countless times. I didn't challenge the gropers when I was younger though, and I am not proud of that.

I am just a bit concerned that some posters here don't see groping for what it is. It is assault. Some times are more serious than others but it is assault. And when people are assaulted, sometimes they don't know how they will react to it.

Yes, I completely agree. However, you don't get carte blanche in our society when you are wronged to do what you please.

If someone reacts badly and smacks the person, do I judge them? No, I don't think I would. Do I think that is the same thing as it being ok? No, I don't. Our rule of law is not eye for an eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Genuine question :
    what would you do if they didn't stop/did it again straight away ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

gctest50 wrote: »
    Genuine question :
    Wedgie.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Genuine question :

I'm not sure, although you're really into sexual assault as opposed to a groping there.

The original post is what has happened to me, in that you're in a pub or club and someone has a quick grope.

In my case it was someone who was a bisexual man, a good few years ago. I'm straight and the attention was 100% unwelcome.

In my case it was someone who was a bisexual man, a good few years ago. I'm straight and the attention was 100% unwelcome.

your orientation shouldn't make a difference.

your orientation shouldn't make a difference.

Was just pointing out that he knew damn well I wouldn't reciprocate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

That's a very good question and I know the poster replied saying they would resolve the problem without violence. And that's great.

But it's a good question because posters on here should admit, that if a MAN groped another MAN a lot of guys would have no problem with the victim turning around and punching him in the face. This would be seen as 'normal' almost. Yet if it was a woman who groped him, he wouldn't resort to violence. That in itself is a double standard.

But that's slightly off topic - I do think unfortunately it's seen as more acceptable for women to hit men than vice versa. But I also think it's more acceptable for men to hit men.

Some, but very far from all women, might think hitting is acceptable. I don't, for example. I have never hit anyone, but I have pushed someone away in self-defence.

Hitting someone for fun, laughs and with no reason is wrong for either gender.

In the context of the thread the OP is alluding to, some women have been asssaulted by a groper and feel fighting back in that circumstance is acceptable self-defence. In my opinion, it depends on the circumstances. If I was cornered and being subjected to groping, I might slap in self defence.

Generalisations never work, and a sweeping statment that 'women think they can whack who they want' is offensive to the vast majority.

Candie wrote: »
    Generalisations never work, and a sweeping statment that 'women think they can whack who they want' is offensive to the vast majority.

Yeah. It was harsh. I suppose I was saying it because of the amount of women who were trying to defend being violent toward men in their lounge.

That's a very good question and I know the poster replied saying they would resolve the problem without violence. And that's great.

But it's a good question because posters on here should admit, that if a MAN groped another MAN a lot of guys would have no problem with the victim turning around and punching him in the face. This would be seen as 'normal' almost. Yet if it was a woman who groped him, he wouldn't resort to violence. That in itself is a double standard.

But that's slightly off topic - I do think unfortunately it's seen as more acceptable for women to hit men than vice versa. But I also think it's more acceptable for men to hit men.

I actually don't think it'd be acceptable. As I said, perhaps it would be understandable, but I don't think 2 wrongs make a right. That goes for everyone, whether they have a penis or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tsiehta

Even though two wrongs don't make a right, I don't really have a huge amount of sympathy for guys getting hit (assuming reasonably low force) by women they've groped. I'd feel the same way with the genders reversed. At the same time, I don't exactly think it's positive or some sort of great privilege to be able to do so. Maybe due to hangovers from the past, it might be viewed unacceptable for a man to hit a woman in this situation, and not the other way round, but tbh, we should be working towards not groping or hitting each other at all, not bickering about double standards in the social acceptability of net negative behaviours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've been slapped full force across the face by a girl in a bar when I was in college.

We were in a group having a bit of banter and I made a joke about a guy she liked and who was a good mate of mine being off with some other women which he was and was actually a well known fact.

She was sleeping with him but he was sleeping all around him, she knew it as did everyone else in the group as it was common knowledge and he openly admitted it.

Anyway she for some reason took offence even though the comment was not aimed at her and decided to walk over to me and hit me full force across the face with her open hand.. Needless to say I was completely shocked as was everyone else in the group. After a second of two it took me to regain my senses, I calmly picked up a full pint of beer I was drinking and dumped it straight over her head, put down the glass and walked out of the place.

Apparently, everyone in the group turned on her and gave her unbelievable abuse for what she done as she was 100% wrong as nothing I said was aimed at her and the guy I aimed the joke at laughed at it the next day when it was said to him. He thought it was very funny up until I told him what the girl did to me..

Even after she slapped me, the thought of hitting her back never even popped into my head.

Do I think its ok for a girl to hit a guy? No..

The only reason is if she is defending herself, apart from that, there is absolutely no excuse..

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Was groped once by a guy, returned compliment with a Glasgow kiss :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

that's true but men can be groped too. i have been groped at least half a dozen occasions by awl ones mostly. they get some sort of thrill out of groping young lads i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

General belief I suppose is women cant defend themselves against a stronger bloke. Bloke can defend himself against a woman. But guaranteed if a weedy small guy was being attacked by his bigger girlfriend and he fought back....who would look bad and be seen as the abuser? End of the day, nobody should hit their partner anyway. The video on the first page was quite interesting. Most of the women who passed by and some even celebrated the girl hitting the bloke said they just presumed he had cheated on her. So if a girl cheats on a bloke its ok for him to hit her also?? Tis a crazy world! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭EireGreg

il properly get ripped for this but anyone that hits me can expect a slap back end of, this argument about not hitting a women is all well and good but any women/lady would not be throwing digs or punches or what ever you want to call it, them women you see pulling out of fellas on a Saturday night or any night properly need a good slap might knock some sense into them. I remember one night years ago when i was around 18 out with my g/f who i am still with today having a wonderful evening got approached by a couple of sewer rats long story short they all jumped on my g/f and i went through them all as if they were men and to be honest i am not ashamed or anything about that story told my parents friends workmates and not one person disagreed with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

A friend of mine was with a girl for years and during a party they had a small arguement,it turned very nasty very quickly but we all stayed out of it cos it was over something small and stupid and we thought it would blow over.
    anyway my friend got up to walk away,she got up and followed him into the hall,stopped him in his tracks,started punching him and raked her nails across his face before she was pulled away from him.leaving him with a nasty gash across his cheek,he never lifted a finger to defend himself.
    how he kept calm during this and didnt hit back i'll never know,i guess its all down to the individual and the way you were brought up.
    ps.
    he left her soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Even in film and television we see it as well, e.g a scenario where a woman finds out her partner has cheated or something and she gives him a slap across the face.

No way that would be included in the storyline if the sexes were reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Even in film and television we see it as well, e.g a scenario where a woman finds out her partner has cheated or something and she gives him a slap across the face.

No way that would be included in the storyline if the sexes were reversed.

If it were we would have those womens rights groups out on the streets causing havoc and trying to take away our mens mags because they portray women as objects!

off topic: however, i would never hit a woman OR man unless it was self defense or in protection of loved ones.
    I once worked in a bar in town where a bloke hit his missus, i vaulted over the bar and dragged him off her....i had him pinned on the ground waiting for security, and she decided in all her wisdom to attack me while i had him pinned down.

Women can be strange aul beings NOT all of them are but if a domestic occurs never get involved thats what i say. Anyone that finds it acceptable to strike another human (outside of sports and what i mentioned before) be it a man or a woman should be ashamed of themselves. I find some women use the "Im a woman he wont hit me mentality to their advantage"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

as per the charter, leave out the lazy generalisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

A woman done this to me a few weeks ago in copper face jacks. I was walking towards the bar it was a bit well packed and she grabbed my crotch and winked while slipping her tongue around, so i said feck this and asked her what she was at and she said i like big balled men, but i told her i have small balls not worthy of her hand and she slapped me in the face which left a nail scrape on my left cheek.

I just told her that she was a Neanderthal and a dirty bitch and then she boxed me in the balls, pulled my hair and grabbed my ass with a pinch like a shark bite, she must have had big finger-nails.

So off i went to the bar hiding from said nutball woman and ordered a double JD with a pinch of coke and lemon and there she was again on the far side of the bar licking her fingers and looking at me as if she wanted to rip me to bits, so i had no choice but to seek professional help from the security bouncers but as i got them involved one of the bouncers said to me that he would kick my balls in if i talked to that nutball woman again as it turns out she was the security guys girlfriend.

There i was scratching my balls in pain after all this and not only did i have this lunatic woman that grabbed my balls looking at me licking her fingers, i had her big Neanderthal boyfriend security guard piking me out of it as well so off i went to the cigarette machine and bought a pack and left while i was being stalked by both space-cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

True, violence against men is seen as more acceptable.

zenno wrote: »
    A woman done this to me a few weeks ago in copper face jacks. I was walking towards the bar it was a bit well packed and she grabbed my crotch and winked while slipping her tongue around, so i said feck this and asked her what she was at and she said i like big balled men, but i told her i have small balls not worthy of her hand and she slapped me in the face which left a nail scrape on my left cheek.

I just told her that she was a Neanderthal and a dirty bitch and then she boxed me in the balls, pulled my hair and grabbed my ass with a pinch like a shark bite, she must have had big finger-nails.

So off i went to the bar hiding from said nutball woman and ordered a double JD with a pinch of coke and lemon and there she was again on the far side of the bar licking her fingers and looking at me as if she wanted to rip me to bits, so i had no choice but to seek professional help from the security bouncers but as i got them involved one of the bouncers said to me that he would kick my balls in if i talked to that nutball woman again as it turns out she was the security guys girlfriend.

There i was scratching my balls in pain after all this and not only did i have this lunatic woman that grabbed my balls looking at me licking her fingers, i had her big Neanderthal boyfriend security guard piking me out of it as well so off i went to the cigarette machine and bought a pack and left while i was being stalked by both space-cakes.

They're made for each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    True, violence against men is seen as more acceptable.

Violence from men is also seen as more acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

No matter what happens with women or vice versa men, there is always enough space to walk away. But if you are in a relationship and a woman/man hits you, then just leave and never go back. (sorry is only a timesave)

It is not acceptable for either to hit each other, the day this happens then just disconnect and move on with your life.

Real women of intelligence would only hit a man if it is absolutely necessary, a man should leave immediately and take a few breaths and focus then come back later if all is cool and re-bond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Violence from men is also seen as more acceptable.

As long as its towards other men. Tbh, I was being a little bit snarky in my first reply:P

It's one of those examples of sexism towards both men and women being tied up together. On the one hand you have the sexist part that says women cannot defend themselves, on the other you have the backhand that says men cannot defend themselves, as women are supposedly not a threat. There's also chivalry/chauvinism, stereotypes, so on so forth.
    Real women of intelligence would only hit a man if it is absolutely necessary, a man should leave immediately and take a few breaths and focus then come back later if all is cool and re-bond.

In my opinion, the only times necessary for a woman to hit a man would be a situation where the woman would not want the man to come back and re-bond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Here, let me get you a bigger brush.

On topic, it seems to be more common with the assertion that when a woman gropes a man he should feel honoured somehow. I've be groped a couple times and did nothing except express my displeasure and walk off.
    But I'm sure that if it happened every time I went to a club I'd start slapping the women after a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement