Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer and The Other Realm

Options
  • 31-05-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. I'm Sasha. I'm 18. Today I was in town and I discovered the Other Realm. I rarely visit Paul Street, hence why I didn't know of the place until now. Anyways, my curiosity has been piqued.

1. I'd like to start playing Warhammer. How much does a set cost?

2. Are there any events held by the Other Realm?

3. I asked the shopkeeper about the opening hours. He said that it's kept open until particularly late on Thursdays or Fridays. Why is it kept open later than usual on this day?

4. Is there anyone here who'd be willing to teach me the basics of Warhammer/who'd be up for a game/who'd be willing to let me watch a game?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

SashaM wrote: »
    Hi. I'm Sasha. I'm 18. Today I was in town and I discovered the Other Realm. I rarely visit Paul Street, hence why I didn't know of the place until now. Anyways, my curiosity has been piqued.

3. I asked the shopkeeper about the opening hours. He said that it's kept open until particularly late on Thursdays or Fridays. Why is it kept open later than usual on this day?

4. Is there anyone here who'd be willing to teach me the basics of Warhammer/who'd be up for a game/who'd be willing to let me watch a game?

Cheers.

Hi Sasha,

I'm not sure how old this site is,,,but check it out..

http://w-ired.org/wordpress/clubs/wargames-association-cork/

Also,I haven't read through this properly,,and it's about Waterford,,but,,there might be someone there you can contact to find out more.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84122705

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

SashaM wrote: »

Cheers.

Hi Sasha, I'm a member of Wargamers Association Cork (WAC) and generally we play Warhammer Fantasy, 40K and Warmachine/Hordes. We regularly play up in UCC on a Thursday night from around 7-10. At the moment we are down in the Western Gateway Building o the Western Road.

To answer your questions:

1: I'm not going to lie to you, Warhammer is a very expensive game however there is a starter set that you can buy for around 90 euro that pretty much comes with 2 small armies and the rulebook. To put the cost into perspective, to buy a typical 40K army of around 1850pts (the size most commonly played) will cost you around 300 - 500 euro and a Warhammer Fantasy army of around 2500pts would cost you 500+euro excluding your paints, brushes etc. This is going by a few shop prices but obviously stuff can be gotten cheaper by buying off the likes of Ebay/DoneDeal/Adverts.

2: Most of the events for Warhammer occur up the country in counties such as Dublin, Galway and Limerick. WAC also has a few events on during the year with an upcoming team tournament on in June. There is also a doubles tournament on in Skibbereen next weekend which I and many others from WAC will be attending. Most of the events run in Other Realms are Warmachine/Hordes events which is a different game entirely (I play both Warmachine and 40K) but a bit cheaper than the equivalent 40k/Warhammer army.

3: It is kept open late on Thursdays and Fridays to cater for gamers who come in off of work or college. You'll find a lot of people from Blizzard Entertainment there.

4: If you come up to UCC on a Thursday myself or one of the other lads can show you how to play or leave you watch a game first.

I'll be in Other Realms this coming Sunday playing Warmachine if you want to pop in for a chat about Warhammer.

Also, sign up to this forum if you are interested in wargaming:

http://w-ired.org/forum/

This is the number one forum to meet other players and to check out the gaming scene. It also hosts WAC's home so if you register there you can show you interest and get talking to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SashaM

Cool. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I might save up for Warhammer but it seems super-expensive! Unfortunately, I won't be able to pop into UCC on Thursday due to Leaving Cert. Oh and I asked the man in the Other Realm shop today: it's open late on Fridays for the Magic cardgame. And Blizzard people frequent the place? Cool. I'm doing games design in September so it would be cool to bash into one of them sometime!

I wish I could pop into Other Realm tomorrow but my mother's dragging me to some steam rally or other, which kinda sucks :P

Thanks again for the info guys.

Advertisement