Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating leaving cert

• 31-05-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi i'm repeating leaving cert in september and i want to know if i need to do all the same subjects as i did for last year (2012).
    i did biology, geography and french last year and got A3 in each and i'm happy with the results, i heard that i don't need to study these subjects any longer?
    also, i would like to know if it is possible to swap some subjects? (i.e. i would like to swap art for home economics because i always had trouble with art).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Firstly A3? It's A1, A2 then B1, B2, B3 and so on, the grade A3 doesn't exist.

You don't need to study those subjects if you don't want BUT there's a catch, you can't count the exams you did the last time for points, your points have to be gotten all in the one sitting, if you're good at these subjects you should probably do those subjects again for the points.

Say you want to get into Nursing (which you need biology for) you don't have to do biology again as you have already done a biology exam so you've met the required subjects, but you can't use your biology result from the last time for points, you have to get the minimum points from your second leaving cert result as it has to be one sitting.

On swapping subjects, yes you can choose whatever subjects you want to do, you can do home ec if you want, in fact if you really hate Maths for example and passed it the last time you can decide not to do it again and do another subject instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thecrazyninja

Last time i failed maths. Supposedly if i were to do maths only next year only to meet specific requirements, how would i go about doing this? i.e. would i repeat leaving cert maths in my old school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Last time i failed maths. Supposedly if i were to do maths only next year only to meet specific requirements, how would i go about doing this? i.e. would i repeat leaving cert maths in my old school?

You are really sort of free to do what you want, you can repeat maths in your old school (you'd obviously have to ask for permission from the school) or you could get grinds for the year or you could go to a grinds school like the Institute of Education or you could even decide to try and teach it to yourself (though I definitely wouldn't recommend that for a subject like maths.) I think you generally have to apply to do the exam through the SEC website, and then you'd have to ask your principal for permission to sit it in your old school, for if you're doing it in a grind school they might allow you do it there, TBH I'm not very familiar with the while repeating process myself you really need to just start picking up phones and asking questions!

Advertisement