Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albanian lessons needed in Dublin

Options
  • 31-05-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm moving to Kosovo in January and was hoping to get some Albanian lessons before I leave. Has anyone any idea where I might find such a thing??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I lived in Kosovo from 2010 - 2011. Are you teaching over there? I used Pimsleur to get up to speed. There are only 10 lessons available but at least it got me started. I put at ad on gumtree but ddn't find anyone. I could ask on Facebook if anyone would give you Skype lessons if you're interested.

I've often heard Albanian spoken in Dublin, but when I was looking for lessons I couldn't find anyone. I studied Albanian a lot during my time there and could speak away fine by the end of my year. The people there were shocked. Foreigners generally don't bother learning it. So don't feel too bad if you're still only learning when you get there. They speak a lot of English.

Btw, the food is AMAZING!! Except if you're a vegetarian...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lyndamayb

Hi,

No I'm not teaching, I will be working as a project working with the Roma Community there. That's great to know about the Pimsleur, even to have a few words will help a lot I feel. So, overall you enjoyed it over there? I'm looking forward to it but in many ways still don't really know what to expect. It's always good to know the food is good though :)
    dory wrote: »
    I lived in Kosovo from 2010 - 2011. Are you teaching over there? I used Pimsleur to get up to speed. There are only 10 lessons available but at least it got me started. I put at ad on gumtree but ddn't find anyone. I could ask on Facebook if anyone would give you Skype lessons if you're interested.

I've often heard Albanian spoken in Dublin, but when I was looking for lessons I couldn't find anyone. I studied Albanian a lot during my time there and could speak away fine by the end of my year. The people there were shocked. Foreigners generally don't bother learning it. So don't feel too bad if you're still only learning when you get there. They speak a lot of English.

Btw, the food is AMAZING!! Except if you're a vegetarian...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Lyndamayb wrote: »
    Hi,

No I'm not teaching, I will be working as a project working with the Roma Community there. That's great to know about the Pimsleur, even to have a few words will help a lot I feel. So, overall you enjoyed it over there? I'm looking forward to it but in many ways still don't really know what to expect. It's always good to know the food is good though :)

I loved the country. I think I may know the project you're speaking of if it's run by a an Englishwoman who writes books. Great project if it is. Did you email them and ask what language they speak? A lot of the Roma people we met lived in the Serbian enclaves and so spoke more Serbian than Albanian. They could also have their own Romani language.

The only downside to Kosovo is the smoking. Pretty much everyone smokes and the smoking ban is not enforced. Maybe things have chenged. Also, find the swimming pools before they close for winter. It's great to sit out and have a drink after work.

If you find Network Prishtina on Facebook you'll find lots of people to do stuff with, sometimes they organize movie nights. Also they advertise apartment shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Albanian

Hi, I am an Albanian of Kosovo living in Dublin. I am a registered interpreter in Ireland, target language albanian and french from english and I also give albanian lessons in person, over the skype and viber now.

If interested please leave a comment below and will leave you my contact details.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michael francis

Hi - I have a professional interest in learning Albanian - especially the Kosovo variety! where in Dublin are you based - face to face might be better than Skype - although I'd consider that too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement