Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Game Mods

• 31-05-2013 8:41pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's been quite a large announcement for PC owners of Fallout: New Vegas; a new mod has been released, that's pretty much an entirely new Fallout game, new storyline, new map, professional actor lines etc..

Off the heels to this... what are people's favourite mods? What sticks out over the years that was a revelation to your vanilla game?

For me:
    Black Mesa
    Can't really complain about a HL remake in new boots.

Day Z
    Probably the most popular mod out there at the moment. Great mod.

Project Reality
    Personally loved this mod from BF2

Multi Theft Auto
    The multiplayer mod for San Andreas is awesome.

And for anime fans..
    Highschool of the Dead
    A really fun mod based on the manga modded on Mount & Blade.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

The Nameless Mod

A total conversion Deus Ex mod complete with voice acting. If you liked the original Deus Ex game, you'll love this.

Nehrim: At Fate's Edge

Hated the leveling up system and the general lack of difficulty in TES: Oblivion? This total conversion mod is for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Mr E & RetroGamer

misleading title :D

Probably the Trololol mod for Skyrim. It changes the Ragnar the Red song into well, the trololol song

you can see it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Back in the day

BF1942 : Desert Combat !! Was amazing, surely an inspiration for BF2, POE was good for BF2 aswell.

Honorable mentions have to go to Counter Strike, Team Fortress and of course WC3 : Defense of the Ancients ...which of course started off the whole MOBA genre really and inspired LoL and DOTA2 (obviously :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Coh Blitzkrieg & eastern front: Simply amazing mods for multiplayer, especially 4v4 cpu games. If you haven't played either grab them both and spend the time between now and Coh2 playing em.

Jagged Alliance 1.13: Inventory management and weapon customization options blew me away.

Minecraft Technic classic: Despite the controversy, and the Feed the Beast pack being superior, I would never have known of the existence of any of these mods if not for the technic pack. Thaumcraft 2 is one of my favourite mods of all time.

Stalker Complete: Fixed all of the issues I had with Stalker, and made me go back to do an entire playthrough.

They hunger - Half life 1: Got it on a disc that came with pc gamer. Brilliant single player zombie gameplay at the time.

Freespace 2 open: Cannot recommend this one highly enough. If you've never played it, go download it now. The game came out in 1999 but the open source project makes it look like a modern title.

Oh also Lazy newb pack for Dwarf Fortress: The game really isn't as difficult or complicated as people make it out to be. It just has a terrible user interface. LNP takes some of the sting out of it (tile sets instead of ascii, so ore looks like ore instead of a pound sign).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Freespace 2 Open - definitely one of the best mods that has ever been made. Absolutely amazing work done to an already amazing game, and really give the graphics a modern day shine. Regularly updated, and has allowed the creation of some fantastic missions/campaigns (Blue Planet for one is amazing).

Freelancer: Crossfire - recently started playing this, and it makes the game so much better. A huge amount of ships, weapons and systems added to the game, as well as another campaign after the original. Really opens it up.

DayZ - not much else needs to be said about DayZ at this stage. Fantastic mod, and one of the highlights of 2012 for me (if not the last 5 years).

Fakefactory Cinematic mod - a great graphical update for Half Life 2. Unfortunately, makes Alex look like a hooker, but if you leave her with the default model it's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Id agree with pretty much everything mentioned sof ar, dayz, stalker complete, a few ive played recentlyt hat are great:

Mission Improbable for HL2
    So good it shouldve just been released by valve as a mini episode for HL2

Black Snow for HL2
    A horror themed first person point and click adventure set in an abandoned arctic research base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

For anyone who likes their space planes in KSP, B9 Aerospace pack has just been updated. It's fantastic for more advanced plane/shuttle designs without getting too science-fictiony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Medival 2 Total War: Third Era mod.
    Great little Lord of the Rings mod for Medieval 2, adds all the expected factions with units etc. Sometimes you get funky things happen, like Mordor allies itself with Elrond, but still. Fun for its quirks as well.

Oblivion - Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.
    Easily the best Oblivion mod I installed, added so much to the game, including some bitch hard Elvish dungeons with their own questline and items/enemies. Had a decent plot to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Brutal Doom
    The gameplay as a whole receives a huge overhaul. New weapons replace older ones and any old ones left over have been given extensive tweaking, with stuff like alt fire on the rocket launcher and super shotgun. Certain enemies also attack differently, with the imp capable of making a jump attack and the spectre even less visible. And the gore...you can truly RIP AND TEAR! RIP AND TEAR! RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS! YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS! RIP AND TEAR!

Sorry, got a little sidetracked. I'll just leave you with this.

Advertisement