Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes stores and gangs.

Options
  • 31-05-2013 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Is it true that dunes in ongar have closed one of their entrances due to teenage gangs hanging around outside.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Was there last week and the side door was still open...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Yes but the front is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

No thats not true. Those doors have been shut due to the store been robbed at least once a month. On occasions thieves coming up behind staff at tills.

Jesus that's bad.

If dunes ever pulled the plug on the place, ongar village would really suffer.

It's bad enough as it is but that would make it a no go zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Only seeing this thread now. I asked the checkout girl today why the main door was closed and she said it was due to the recent spate of robberies. Apart from that reason, it's a shame as the closed main entrance deadens the streetscape and hustle'n'bustle of the main street. I'm sure it indirectly affects the other businesses on the main street as you might have made occasional impulse visits to those places on the way to Dunnes in the past (bakery, butchers etc). Xtravision also recently gone doesn't help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Totally agree. The street is so much quieter and the black backing for the 'Main entrance to the right' sign isn't exactly cheerful! The path down to Dunnes when you're walking from Main St is quite narrow and I've seen a few ladies struggle with buggies while also trying to manage other toddlers - someone has to walk on the road if they want their other children beside them, which isn't ideal when there are cars coming in, or else the kids have to walk behind or in front so the parent isn't in full control if the kids run off and there's a car coming. Pity that a small minority have to make things difficult for everyone.
    ongarboy wrote: »
    Only seeing this thread now. I asked the checkout girl today why the main door was closed and she said it was due to the recent spate of robberies. Apart from that reason, it's a shame as the closed main entrance deadens the streetscape and hustle'n'bustle of the main street. I'm sure it indirectly affects the other businesses on the main street as you might have made occasional impulse visits to those places on the way to Dunnes in the past (bakery, butchers etc). Xtravision also recently gone doesn't help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I've seen the odd teenage group hang about but they are quite young teenagers and not intimidating. I made one pick up a glass bottle they dropped and put it in the bin and they went along with it.
    Yes the footpath through the archway is tiny, barely big enough for one person so they'll need to find a better solution in the long term I think.
    I'd say they make a fortune in that shop, it's always very busy, I'd be very surprised (and inconvenienced) if it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Mary28 wrote: »
    I've seen the odd teenage group hang about but they are quite young teenagers and not intimidating.

I haven't had a problem with them, but there's often a few dozen of them hanging around on Friday/Saturday evenings - the village isn't all that nice around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Polar101 wrote: »
    I haven't had a problem with them, but there's often a few dozen of them hanging around on Friday/Saturday evenings - the village isn't all that nice around that time.

I've never noticed any "hassle" from them, they can be a bit loud sometimes but nothing verging on antisocial. TBH Dunnes is constantly doing a great trade I've be very surprised if they did move out of there. The black vinyl on the doors looked crap, even a poster with various offers would be a vast improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hmmmm ..... lived around here nearly 12 years and never seen any of the "problems" with "gangs" referred to on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its just kids as you would get anywhere, the nature of the area means theres just a lot of them around the same age with not much to do in the evening but I dont think they cause too many issues.

The Dunnes revamp is clearly to do with the raids, the shop has been oriented to make it both difficult and obvious for a raider to escape as theres now only one way out through a gauntlet of cameras. I hope it works for the staff, must be very nasty encountering that at your work place on a regular basis. The shop is looking much tidier and spacious now as a result, hopefully it wont be going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Twizzler wrote: »
    The path down to Dunnes when you're walking from Main St is quite narrow and I've seen a few ladies struggle with buggies while also trying to manage other toddlers.

Yep that's been me recently, the wee path is so narrow and there are points where there is a pillar and its just not possible to pass it with a buggy. Makes me so nervous. I don't tend to visit Dunnes anymore (not impressed with the cleanliness of the shop), but sometimes I park in behind it when I drop into the Cafe with my little ones after collecting one from the naoinra in Lily's Way. Is there any other way to safely access the car park area from the Main St aside from that narrow tunnel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

KGLady wrote: »
    Is there any other way to safely access the car park area from the Main St aside from that narrow tunnel?

That's probably the safest way for having less traffic. If you go the long way around by the chipper/auctioneers you end up at the covered carpark exit/junction where the right of way goes to whoever is the stupidest/most ignorant/most dangerous driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Trademark wrote: »
    That's probably the safest way for having less traffic. If you go the long way around by the chipper/auctioneers you end up at the covered carpark exit/junction where the right of way goes to whoever is the stupidest/most ignorant/most dangerous driver.

That alternative entrance from the auctioneers is also dodgy as you often have articulated lorries reversing into Dunnes goods entrance and have to navigate around them hoping they see you. I also find if you walk under the covered carpark, it's quite dark and fear that reversing drivers will not always see you. I understand the need for better protection of staff and customers from criminals but hopefully they can find some proper solution for the main entrance. It must be the only supermarket in Ireland where the main entrance is sealed shut like that!

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The shop is looking much tidier and spacious now as a result, hopefully it wont be going anywhere.

I can't even get a buggy down through check out. I have to load stuff on the belt and walk around past security and back to the other end of check out to pack the bags.

Once and once only!

Advertisement