Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine Wimax Broadband Acting Strange

• 31-05-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is anyone one else having trouble around the Coolock area the past week with imagine. Haven't had a change to phone them yet can't seem to find a designated forum on here dealing with Imagine. The speeds differ from each speed test am on a 7mb package but varys from around 2-5mb. Its not the speed I'm having trouble with its the fact that pages won't load or won't load fully or keep timing out. Is there anything I'm missing out him here 2-5mb should be enough to pull up a google search or a page on boards fairly rapidly considering there is no processes in the background consuming bandwidth. Would it be the modem is at fault here or something to do with Imagine itself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Why the bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is anyone one else having trouble around the Coolock area the past week with imagine. Haven't had a change to phone them yet can't seem to find a designated forum on here dealing with Imagine. The speeds differ from each speed test am on a 7mb package but varys from around 2-5mb. Its not the speed I'm having trouble with its the fact that pages won't load or won't load fully or keep timing out. Is there anything I'm missing out him here 2-5mb should be enough to pull up a google search or a page on boards fairly rapidly considering there is no processes in the background consuming bandwidth. Would it be the modem is at fault here or something to do with Imagine itself?

I live in Blackrock and I'm having exactly the same problem. I have an Internet radio and even it keeps stopping to buffer the signal. When I'm on the web it frequently stops altogether.

I've rung Wimax (Imagine) a few times and each time I get the same old guff. We'll try this and that and then we'll change the port and invariably the speed improves for a while and then goes back. I am convinced that when a customer complains, they switch him/her onto a different server for a while just to shut them up and then back to the slow one after a few hours.

It can't be a coincidence that each time I ring, my speeds improve for a while before reverting to the slow slow slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gumkeyrock

Exact same problem for me. Also in the blackrock area.
    When it decides it doesn't want to work, this is what a ping test looks like: http://oi40.tinypic.com/n2mnwi.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

That's some ping. I'm really annoyed that I actually upgraded to the 7mps plan and my speeds are actually lower than when I was on the 3mps plan. And what's more annoying is when you say you are using WiFi, you immediately get the comment "ah well that will take a huge chunk off your speed" - even though by market their product as a WiFi system

Might think about switching to UPC. They offer 50 MPs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 gumkeyrock

I have no problem with the speed (when the service decides it wants to work) the problem is with the ping. The quality of service it horrible, to the point that it's unusable at certain random points.

I don't know why people use a WiMax service in an urban area like Dublin. I thought that WiMax was designed to cater for areas where there's no physical cable infrastructure. I'm renting and unfortunately don't have a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

bimlico wrote: »
    That's some ping. I'm really annoyed that I actually upgraded to the 7mps plan and my speeds are actually lower than when I was on the 3mps plan. And what's more annoying is when you say you are using WiFi, you immediately get the comment "ah well that will take a huge chunk off your speed" - even though by market their product as a WiFi system

Might think about switching to UPC. They offer 50 MPs.

UPC is in your area and you're with Wimax??!!??! Jesus Christ, man, you should be with UPC since day one. I wish it was in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

bimlico wrote: »
    And what's more annoying is when you say you are using WiFi, you immediately get the comment "ah well that will take a huge chunk off your speed" - even though by market their product as a WiFi system

WiFi and WiMAX are two different technologies with completely different properties.

Imagine sell a WiMAX product. There shouldn't be any real degradation of speed or quality from their advertised service.

You can experience a loss of speed on WiFi (the wireless technology you use at home between your router and computer), based on the distance between the two objects other barriers such as walls.

I'd agree with gumkeyrock that a WiMAX product isn't designed for places like Dublin where regular cable/fibre products such as those offered by UPC, Eircom, etc... are available. WiMAX would be more suitable for those who like in remote parts of the country where they don't have access to other regular broadband services.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Imagine Wimax speed is terrible, see screenshot here
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiqtkilw7eo26o8/imagine.png

Advertisement