Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Green Has/Propane In our climate

• 31-05-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Ok, so I was looking at the KWA MP9, and I know that our weather means green gas isn't effective, but would it be a good idea to use a Green Gas gun? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

I own 3 GBB pistols and soon to be 2, all green gas ones. None of them do full auto and although in the sunnier weather as of late they are working better, I would not advise them. I cannot fire too fast or I mightn't make it through a full mag.

In winter, nearly no green gas gun is properly skirmishable, I've noticed a huge jump in performance in the past few days because of the warmer temperatures, but you certainly cannot count on Irish weather to be good.

So to sum up, green gas, usable in the (rare) hot/warm weather. But overall not a great buy as you won't get a lot of use out f it throughout the year here so it would be more of an impulse buy.

I really like my pistols, but I was able to get spare mags for 2 of them for cheap, it is more expensive to run a smg and buy the mags.

Why were you looking at it if I may ask? I might be able to mention a few alternatives that'll work better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

On average, it's not that bad having a green gas pistol in Ireland. They're not the high performers they're usually advertised as (especially anything with a heavy metal slide), but they're grand for what most people use them for; a back up.
    Green gas SMG's like the MP9 however, are a pain in the arse. As soon as you go auto with them, between decompression, cool-down, and a dozen other factors, you're pretty much venting the whole gas tank in 1/2 a mag in spring/autumn weather. In winter it may not even get that. In the current weather, you'll probably get most of the mag off before it vents.

CO2 for any auto gas guns is the only way forward. Though I think KWA released CO2 mags for the MP9 a while back? Probably needs an NPAS kit to do it, but it's worth checking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭d.one

Ra tech do co2 mags for kwa glocks you can get on airsoftguns.ie

d.one wrote: »
    Ra tech do co2 mags for kwa glocks you can get on airsoftguns.ie

They've been sold out for a while. I'm planning on getting one sometime so I've been keeping an eye on their website to see if I can just buy it here rather than import it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭*DOBBY*

PodgeD1997 wrote: »
    Ok, so I was looking at the KWA MP9, and I know that our weather means green gas isn't effective, but would it be a good idea to use a Green Gas gun? Thanks

The KWA MP9 (from my experience) is a fantastic green gas SMG. I don't own one but have had the pleasure of gaming with them on more than one ocassion. Of the 4 gamers that I know that have them, they have never had a bother with them.
    While I agree with the view of green gas pistols are usually lacking, the MP9 is most certainly not. It suffers from no noticable 'cool down' effect. I would reccommend you getting to test fire one to convince yourself. They are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Now for the alternate viewpoint.......

I have five pistols, 1 CO2 and 4 Green Gas. All my Green gas pistols easily outperform my CO2 pistol in range and power. Perhaps it's because my green gas pistols are Tokyo Marui and Maruzen, I.e. good high quality guns. Anyways, I shot them in my back garden while target shooting and skirmished with them all through last winter in temps as low as 3 degrees and there was no issue with performance. I usually get two mags worth of bbs out of one gas fill so that's 50 rounds from a single shot of gas.

Each to their own but I wouldn't be bothered buying another CO2 pistol as my green gas guns have never let me down, no matter what the temperature is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭d.one

CpcRc wrote: »
    They've been sold out for a while. I'm planning on getting one sometime so I've been keeping an eye on their website to see if I can just buy it here rather than import it.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Magazines_RA_Tech_Gas_Magazines_RA_Tech_CO2_Magazine_for_KSC_KWA_Model_17_18.htm , from redwolf in stock

d.one wrote: »

Like I said, I'd rather buy it in Ireland than buy it in from abroad if I can.

I knew redwolf had it but I didn't bother calculating VAT and everything that the courier does.

I'm not in a huge rush for it. My green gas mags have been preforming better recently.

And TM make very good GBBs, best one to work throughout the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Does the green gas system 7 usp not work well?

I haven't been able to test mine thoroughly, the slide isn't cycling as smooth as I like. But my kwa glock works really well and that should be pre-system 7 which should be about the same or slightly better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WOCM4

I use propylene in my WOC M4. All year round. Semi only.

6.01 / light bolt/NPAS / propylene = GBB fun in Ireland.

Surprised so few people use it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

The magic number is 11. Below 11 degrees Centigrade most green gas pistols won't work properly, if at all. There are exceptions, but 11C is a good rule of thumb for most of us.

On full auto fire, the expansion and venting of gas will cool the mag down below 11, even if it was warmer to start with. That's one of the reasons they stop working.

BTW, regardless of the colour used for marketing purposes, Green/Red/Black gas is propane with the odourant washed out and a little silicone oil added. Reputable suppliers will have the ingredients listed on the bottle (I think that should be mandatory).

If you decide to use propane on it's own, make sure to either use green gas every couple of games, or put a drop of silicone oil in the fill valve before you gas the mag. I never got that to work, BTW, always ended up with oil droplets sprayed all over the place :)

NB: Propane, not Butane or anything else like the mixtures sold to jewellers etc.

Advertisement