Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park 5 Mile Run

Options
  • 31-05-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of entering my first race this year just for fitness and fun. I was wondering if anybody knows do you get a medal for competing in the Phoenix Park 5 mile run?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

KJ wrote: »
    Hi, I'm thinking of entering my first race this year just for fitness and fun. I was wondering if anybody knows do you get a medal for competing in the Phoenix Park 5 mile run?

No medal. You get a nice t-shirt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Thanks. A nice t-shirt will have to do. I'm going to register over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Thanks. A nice t-shirt will have to do. I'm going to register over the weekend.

Not sure if its going ahead this year but if you want a medal from a race I got one from the Slane 10mile run last year. There was also a 5k run. Cheap enough to enter €20/€15. Got a bag and nice tshirt too. Then there was a family day after it. Medal was very nice but like the others hasn't been taken out the drawer since last year. Tshirt on the other hand much more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Anybody know what time of day this is on? I have something on at 10:30am which I suspect will clash with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

hardCopy wrote: »
    Anybody know what time of day this is on? I have something on at 10:30am which I suspect will clash with this.

It's at 10am.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/race_series.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

hollypink wrote: »

i was staring at that page for ages and couldn't see where it said the time:o
    Only spotted it now. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

I think the Dockland 10km gives a medal, ive never done it but i'd suspect it does and its on 20th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Any idea if they're looking for volunteers for the 5 miler? I can't see anything on their facebook or website pages.

anyone any pacing tips for racing this? Taking into account the hills, what's the best strategy for tackling it? I've ran it lots of times in training but never attacked those hills. Do the downhills make up for the uphills?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Wonder are numbers down for this? They extended the registration period which I've never seen for the race series.

They have also been pushing it on twitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

chinguetti wrote: »
    Any idea if they're looking for volunteers for the 5 miler? I can't see anything on their facebook or website pages.

The link below from the BHAA website is looking for volunteers, email info@bhaa.ie to register

http://bhaa.ie/volunteers/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

Can't wait for this. This race and the rest of the series got the ball rolling for me running wise three years ago. Have done dozens of races now and this is one of the best in my opinion. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Anybody know what the wave times are for this? And are there any pacers?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

good luck to all running tomorrow. First race I've done since I started running 1.5 years ago where I haven't felt sick with nerves the night before:confused: I think it's cause I haven't done this race distance before so no particular time to beat except Macmillan's of course:D
    Best of luck everyone:)

Ososlo wrote: »
    good luck to all running tomorrow. First race I've done since I started running 1.5 years ago where I haven't felt sick with nerves the night before:confused: I think it's cause I haven't done this race distance before so no particular time to beat except Macmillan's of course:D
    Best of luck everyone:)

Bet him by 28 seconds. Happy days :D See, he's not always right;)

Great race. Really really enjoyed this despite nearly getting sick during the last mile. Weather perfect. Very well organised. Lovely atmosphere. Fantastic stewards. Wave starts seemed to go smoothly in 40-50 min bracket. Started about 8 rows from top and felt I was well placed but did spend most of the race passing rather than being passed but plenty of space to run around people.
    I'll definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Yes very well run race. Well done to all involved and volunteers.

Challenging enough course with a few small hills.

Can anybody with a good GPS confirm was the distance accurate? Chatting to a few people afterwards who thought it was a little over the 5 mile/ 8k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tommy Max wrote: »

Can anybody with a good GPS confirm was the distance accurate? Chatting to a few people afterwards who thought it was a little over the 5 mile/ 8k?

GPS devices should always read a little over the distance simply because the course is measured at the shortest route possible. When people are racing there will be some deviation due to the race line run and bobbing and weaving through competitors.

Great day out there today. Didn't get to watch to much of the race myself however with working pre and post race but still seems to have been a good atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Tommy Max wrote: »
    Yes very well run race. Well done to all involved and volunteers.

Challenging enough course with a few small hills.

My first race since I was about 11, 37 years thoroughly enjoyed it finished with a time of 42.08 was aiming for under 50mins havent really trained so happy enough.
    Strava gave me a distance of 8.5 klms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

That was a pretty flawlessly organised race - well done to all the volunteers and organizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

8.15 km on mine. Great race well run and very much enjoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Started near the front of Wave 2 (40-50) and went out fast early on to try and get myself a bit of space. Having adopted this (for me) novel approach (based on another poster's idea in the same race last year) I really enjoyed spending most of the race passing people rather than being passed!! Hit traffic about Mile 1, but even so it was great to run down the Kyber Pass for a change :D I managed the hills fairly comfortably, but got a bit stuck on the narrow section at the back of the hospital. Finished ok but much to my disappointment missed out on my target time by 4 seconds (although I did beat my 5 mile PB)

To go back to the first wave in Swords or stay in Wave 2? Decisions, decisions!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

8.13km by my Garmin.
    As per other comments, flawlessly run race. First impressions were that there seemed to be a lot less participants/supporters than the previous time I ran the race (in 2010)? 2010 was the first year I did a marathon and my first time running this race so maybe I look back on that year with rose tinted glasses. I started out slow holding back all the time as I knew what to expect for the second half. The CEO of an ex employer was running just ahead of me, who historically was much faster than me. I kept him in sight all the way down to Kyber and as we rounded the hill, I reeled him in and passed him with ease...delighted :) Lovely bright nice fitting t-shirt too. Just over 31 mins which I think is a PB
    Looking forward to the 10k, 10miler and half and Marathon

Edit: Just checked, 4884 finishers in 2010, 2778 in 2013...wow big fall in numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A well organised event. I found it pretty tough today. Here's my report: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85310789&postcount=4598

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Love the race series. Great race today. Very well organised..... BUT I was so disappointed (well actually my kids were) with the goody bag. Last year lots of sweets and chocolate....three little sad faces when mammy returned with just a bottle of lucozade and a cereal bar!!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

I thought todays race was one of the best organised I've been to in a good while and, needless to say, couldn't find any fault with it!

That said my bag did get robbed! Put it down to tie my shoelace just before the park gates and next thing you know some knacker has pushed me over and is sprinting with my bag! That's no reflection on the race as it had nothing to do with it or nothing the race organisers could have done to prevent it, just the only bad part of todays race day for me!

Will deffo be back next year again regardless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

BenMicheal wrote: »
    I thought todays race was one of the best organised I've been to in a good while and, needless to say, couldn't find any fault with it!

That said my bag did get robbed! Put it down to tie my shoelace just before the park gates and next thing you know some knacker has pushed me over and is sprinting with my bag! That's no reflection on the race as it had nothing to do with it or nothing the race organisers could have done to prevent it, just the only bad part of todays race day for me!

yeah i hid my bag but it only had a wind breaker jacket and odd stufff in it. When I got back it had been ransacked but nothing gone and i had been half thinking of putting my bank card and phone in it and money that i brought with me accidently. Someone must've seen me stashing it before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Fletch...I would have been disappointed if you hadn't beaten him. You are clearly running very well these days. Ever thought of joining us up in bros Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

BenMicheal wrote: »

You're right - nothing to do with the race and its organizers. Can I ask - can you see the irony here, and did you consider running after the "knacker"? You are the athlete, after all, and he was probably only good for 300m, half a k tops.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

Really enjoyed the race yesterday, I think the number of runners helped - it wasn't overcrowded like previous years. I started in wave 1 and there was plenty of room. Lovely downhill drag for the first few miles and the hills weren't as bad as I'd anticipated. Finished in 38:50 which was a PB of over 20 seconds which I didn't think I'd ever get in the park. And that's with stopping to have a little puke with half a mile to go (dodgy tummy). Nice tshirt but they needn't have bothered with the goody bag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Really enjoyed yesterdays race, great atmosphere and pretty much perfect conditions. Numbers were well down on previous years, walking down the quays and through the park it was very quiet. I wonder how the rest of the series will perform?

Started towards the back of wave 1, and got into my running pretty much straight away, it was hard to hold back as a lot of people were shooting past but I knew it was a tough second half. Done the first 3mls at 6.30 pace and then the hard work started, found the stretch on the upper glen road tough but just focused on my own race. Tried to pick things up for the final stretch and managed to dip under 33mins. Happy with the time, looking forward to the 10k now.

Advertisement