Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park 5 Mile Run

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Has anyone any idea on why the numbers are down this year?
    Lack of advertisement/sponsorship at start/prices going up???
    In all fairness 90 quid for a marathon is very steep if you don't get the early bird and a lot of people won't if they're being cautious about entering early in case they get injured or don't train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Decrease in numbers could be due to loads of things but imo, its due to loads of races on nowadays such as Parkrun, the lack of advertising and the fact that its was mobbed and overcrowded the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

chinguetti wrote: »
    Decrease in numbers could be due to loads of things but imo, its due to loads of races on nowadays such as Parkrun, the lack of advertising and the fact that its was mobbed and overcrowded the last few years.

I arrived late yesterday and I have to say I thought one of the waves had already started, it was so sparse

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wow, 2768 -v- 4049 last year. :eek:

These might actually be worth doing again if this is the case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

Wow, 2768 -v- 4049 last year. :eek:

These might actually be worth doing again if this is the case :)
    Might be something to do with a charity race taking place at the very same venue a day later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

These might actually be worth doing again if this is the case
    Yea, not a single problem with it being too full on the course, and did not have any issues with folks at front of wave 1 who should not have been there, or anything like that...

The 5 mile gets a bad rap on here as being some kind of huge mess, and I have done it two years in a row now and its been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭barrymac20

This was my first proper run ever. Was an amazing experience as part of tem of over 140 people. Looking forward to the Fingal 10km now with the Dunleer 4 mile the week before that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Anyone else think that www.marathon-photos.com is an awful racket?

Seriously, there's no way you'll get me paying a tenner for the smallest (and cheapest) single photo of me strutting my stuff, athletic and fit as I looked at the start :D Maybe if I was ever going to win a prize I might feel differently? but somehow I doubt it....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Anyone else think that www.marathon-photos.com is an awful racket?

Seriously, there's no way you'll get me paying a tenner for the smallest (and cheapest) single photo of me strutting my stuff, athletic and fit as I looked at the start :D Maybe if I was ever going to win a prize I might feel differently? but somehow I doubt it....
    It's a terrible business model. If there was an option to pay €2/3 for a digital download, they'd get loads of takers. Instead they rely on a tiny percentage of customers willing to pay exorbitant prices

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement