Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of advice needed - rent relief

Options
  • 31-05-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine asked would myself and my girlfriend be interested in co renting a house with him and his girlfriend..

They found a lovely house, ideal location.

They are already liviing out at the moment and looking for a bigger place.

Now is where the fun starts. According to him the landlady said rent allowance isn't on the table. Now I'm not sure if she or him got confused with rent relief. Edit just found this----http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html

On top of this she has told the other couple that we would be responsible for maintaining the garden etc..... just so you know this house is out of the city and quite a big garden front and back

Is this normal practice and what would ye advise? rent is listed as 1100 i think, Large 4 bed house

The other couple are anxious for us to move in and need us so as to rent this house.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Your post isn't very clear. Are you looking to move in and claim rent allowance? Or are you looking to move in, pay your own rent and claim tax relief on it?
    It's my understanding that the landlady is perfectly entitled to tell you she won't accept rent allowance.
    If she's telling you that you can't claim tax relief on the rent, it means she's not registered, and doesn't want to get caught out.

And I think the garden will be the tenants responsibility, so long as you're provided with the tools... Though I'm sure someone will clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Now is where the fun starts. According to him the landlady said rent allowance isn't on the table. Now I'm not sure if she or him got confused with rent relief. Edit just found this----http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html
    Rent supplement (often referred to as rent supplement) is a poverty level payment made to people renting private residential property.

It is completely unrelated to the tax relief. You can only avail of the tax relief if you were renting before 2010(?).
    On top of this she has told the other couple that we would be responsible for maintaining the garden etc..... just so you know this house is out of the city and quite a big garden front and back
    It's not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Cheers lads.

Before my op I was told by a friend who is renting out his house that he couldn't understand why she was not supplying her details for tax relief. I then as you can see edited my post as I found the pre 2010 rule

All four of us are working so we would not be applying for rent allowance as is my understanding. It's just the maintenance question that remains

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It's just the maintenance question that remains
    Of course you need to maintain the garden. It is part of the property you are renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is this normal practice and what would ye advise? rent is listed as 1100 i think, Large 4 bed house

The landlady is being perfectly reasonable in expecting her tenants to keep the exterior green space of the property looking respectable during your tenancy. It is part of the rental property after all. If this means that you have to cut the grass, and trim the odd bush or every now and then, it is not crazy that you should be expected to do so. As long as it is basic stuff, such as cutting grass and trimming bushes, she is not being unreasonable in her request imo.

When you lot move out, she shouldn't have to hire some one to come in and restore an over grown jungle back to what it was when you moved in. If she is talking about hard core gardening work such as cleaning out garden ponds, or planting flower beds, or painting garden sheds, and generally doing stuff that is over and above basic up keep, then yeah she is being out of order. She needs to get someone else in to that if you are not willing to. But the basic day to day stuff...that's on you I'm afraid.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Barracuda1

A mate of mine asked would myself and my girlfriend be interested in co renting a house with him and his girlfriend..

They found a lovely house, ideal location.

They are already liviing out at the moment and looking for a bigger place.

The other couple are anxious for us to move in and need us so as to rent this house.

Its not up to you to maintain the outside of the property. I rent a house and have never cut the lawn or done any outside maintenance. On the other hand if you intend to stay in the property and you don't mind completing any maintenance the landlady is lucky to have you. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Barracuda1 wrote: »
    Its not up to you to maintain the outside of the property.
    Their contract may say otherwise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Barracuda1 wrote: »
    Its not up to you to maintain the outside of the property. I rent a house and have never cut the lawn or done any outside maintenance. On the other hand if you intend to stay in the property and you don't mind completing any maintenance the landlady is lucky to have you. best of luck

Legally the owner of the property is legally responsible for maintaining the exterior and grounds of the property. He or she is perfectly within their rights to transfer this obligation onwards to tenants or third parties- providing it gets done. In an urban situation such as this- what traditionally happened is the person living in the property either took care of the maintenance themselves- or got a third party in to do it on a periodic basis- there are loads of such adds in the notice boards of local shops of people offering to do these type jobs.

Its not a matter of luck- its a legal obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Cheers lads........

Few mixed opinions.

Thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Victor wrote: »
    Their contract may say otherwise.

Contracts don't overrule the law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

testicle wrote: »
    Contracts don't overrule the law

true but the law says that the garden must be maintained not that it must be maintained by the landlord meaning that its a perfectly legitimate clause to add to any lease and doesn't overrule any legislation.

there was a huge thread on this a few years ago if you want to search for it.

Advertisement