Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you (want to) own a cargo bike?

• 31-05-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I have the pleasure of being one of the organisers of the first Irish Cargobike Championships held in the Phoenix Park on the 16th of June an official part of bike week. It starts at 12.30

This is going to be a great event for everything Cargo Bike related.
    On the day there will be:

-small businesses who use cargo bikes displaying their wares/bikes
    -Bike demo's, if you are in the market for one, don't miss this event as we will have a full range of reputable brands available for test rides, as well as some documentation on the several brands, where they are from, what they cost and lots of other information to enable you to make a well informed choice
    - Colouring competitions for the littlies
    - As the name suggest there will be races with cargo bikes as well covering, load capacity, manoeuvrability, balance and speed, Danish vs Dutch;) etc etc

If you would like to participate in the championship or just want to be kept informed, register by going on to our FB page www.facebook.com/IrishCargoBikeChampionships
    or go tohttp://http://irishcargobikechampionships-efbevent.eventbrite.ie/
    Or email me <snip> (Mod note - no e-mails - contact via PM)

If you want to participate would like to know
    - your name
    - The number of people on your team (adults and kiddies)
    - Make and model of your cargo bike

There are a limited number of cargo bikes available to use in the tournament on a first come first served basis.
    We need
    Your name
    What type you prefer (2 wheeled or a trike)

This is a free event and promises to be a great day out for young and old!
    See you on the 16th in Phoenix park

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrsFitz

Just to add, if there are people out there with extra cycles or other longtails, we could be persuaded to make a special category for these bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sounds cool, will try to come by and see the fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Aaaaaw Yeah!

Thanks for organising this. I'd hope to be there with my own bike, just need to look into what else is on that day.

When you say kids on the teams, I'm guessing they count as part of the load? :)

Yes kids will be part of the load but are an optional accessory:D
    Every activity organised is mainly intended to be fun although the guys from Greenaer did challenge yours truly for a bit of a race, we'll call it the organiser sprint hahaha
    Great to see there is a bit of interest in this, spread the word!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

So what counts as a cargo bike? Regular two wheelers with trailers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Wishing I had known about this sooner! I have a Workcycles Fr8 and my brother has both a Larryvsharry Bullitt Clockwork and a Nihola Dog.. Would have been a fun outing but neither of us can make it :(

rp wrote: »
    So what counts as a cargo bike? Regular two wheelers with trailers?
    I suppose that would work, might put these in the category with any long tails we might have attending. Story short = everybody welcome the more the merrier

zinzan wrote: »
    Wishing I had known about this sooner! I have a Workcycles Fr8 and my brother has both a Larryvsharry Bullitt Clockwork and a Nihola Dog.. Would have been a fun outing but neither of us can make it :(

You both have fantastic bikes, I am a big fan of workcycles bikes, what a shame you can't be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Well I see it's a Sunday so I will try my best to make it down, sounds like a lot of fun, I don't actually need a cargo bike at the moment but I still want one or even two :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Brilliant, I've the offer of an Xtracycle for the day, maybe not a "real" cargo bike in some peoples minds but still great for me, so does anyone want to offer up their kids as ballast for me on the day?

• Advertisement

mrsFitz wrote: »
    You both have fantastic bikes, I am a big fan of workcycles bikes, what a shame you can't be there

Thanks!

I'll keep an eye out for future events!

zinzan wrote: »
    Thanks!

I'll keep an eye out for future events!
    We are hoping to make this an annual event so might see you next year

what is your verdict on our hot of the press logo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anyone fancy forming a boards team? Reckon it'd be fun to borrow one of the trikes for the day - I'll go in the box!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭biketard

what is your verdict on our hot of the press logo?

I like it (a lot).

Can you give us an idea of what shape the races will take? Sorry, just never seen teams involved in these races.

Hopefully it'll be similar to this, yeah?

If you need car tyres, I have a few sitting out front of the house I'm sure my neighbours would love to see disappear :P

@Buffalo If there are teams sorted I already have the Bullitt so that'd be step one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I've cycled a Bullitt a good deal over one weekend a few years ago, and I'm just putting it out there that it should be in a category of it's own in any race. :)

monument wrote: »
    I've cycled a Bullitt a good deal over one weekend a few years ago, and I'm just putting it out there that it should be in a category of it's own in any race. :)

Splitter!

http://youtu.be/2cy0UmakZck is where we got some inspiration from as well as the Copenhaganize report on the 2012 cargo bike championships.

that video looks great I don't know would we have enough room to do a parcours that long

Oh and I'll take them tyres if you want to bring them along! :D

I am very keen to get in contact with Nihola and Christiania bike owners if anyone knows of any.

So far we have Babboe, Bakfiets and Bullits well covered (still room for many more!) but it is quiet on the christiania front (and they don't have a supplier here in Ireland which makes it harder)

• Advertisement

If you are coming along to the championship, you can get your FREE ticket through this link
    http://irishcargobikechampionships.eventbrite.ie/
    Hope to see you there!

And here is our poster
    let me know what you think

And here is our poster
    let me know what you think

Sorry, but it needs proofing. Looks great otherwise.

2 more sleeps, the final preparations are being done, So far we have over 1 dozen bikes registered (that is excluding some demo models!) and about 20 teams. Praying every night that the weather will hold up on Sunday!
    See you in phoenix park even if it is just for cheering us on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

For those who couldn't make it to the Park:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

beazee wrote: »
    For those who couldn't make it to the Park:

And a memento for those who could! :)

I didn't see any Boards jerseys, but I did see monument and - I'm guessing, based on the trike - DualFrontDiscs. Was anyone else there? CramCycle, apparently, based on another post- were you taking part or just an interested observer like me? (There were too many beards present for that to be your unique identifier. ;))

Saw these too a few days ago: https://www.facebook.com/IrishCargoBikeChampionships/photos_stream

Hats off to the organisers.

I made a funny appearance there - with helmet but no bike :)
    Jesus, those cargo bikes are not easy to start and steer for a noob like me.

BTW: Bike helmets seemed to be not so popular among cargo bike owners. Is there a reason for this?
    Other than this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

BTW: Bike helmets seemed to be not so popular among cargo bike owners. Is there a reason for this?

Usually you would have a mattress in the bucket so when you go over the handlebars you have a soft landing.

I often don't wear a helmet when I'm on the cargo. Probably feel a bit safer on it, braking is safer, bike is bigger. Cars stay well clear though peds have stepped in front. I know they'll come off worse when hit by about 120kg moving at 20-30km/h.

• Advertisement

The Third Policeman theory of cyclists and bicycles mixing comes into play -- sooner or later our Dutch or Danish cargo bikes start to effect the way we think!

Had to google out to find the meaning:
    The gross and net result of it is that people who spent most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycle.
    --- Sergeant Pluck, expounding on The Atomic Theory, in "The Third Policeman," by Flann O'Brien.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    I didn't see any Boards jerseys, but I did see monument and - I'm guessing, based on the trike - DualFrontDiscs. Was anyone else there? CramCycle, apparently,

I was there, I even made it into the video.

Great day out, thanks to MrsFitz and both her shop and Greenaer.

I arrived not knowing what to expect, I had mailed a few mates to come along. When I arrived, I was a bit worried as it was 10 minutes before the start and there were very few people there.

I was chatting to a guy with a white bullitt, and while this was happening, apparently everyone else turned up. Started with introductory speeches from the two ambassadors. The racing started off soon after this.

The potato/egg and spoon race started well. I got to the finish line dropping the potato as I crossed. I made such an over exaggerated reach for the stars that I didn't go back thinking I was bet.

Next was the passenger on an obstacle course, went well until we tried to U-turn at the same time as our competitor who over steered and nearly went over. Big thanks from the passengers though as it was commented how comfortable it was in the box. Couldn't feel any bumps on the road at all.

After this we had the sprints, where we decide to put two passangers in. We severely underestimated our competition. I was busy looking across the course at the father and son team who I thought were our competition when the lady with her son beside us tore off without breaking a sweat and beat us by easily 5 or 10 meters.

Then for our favourite race, myself in the 3 wheeler (cycled by a friend) versus a courier carrying one of my other friends. Started off well, we were in the lead when the steering went and you can see us in the video swerving wildly across the course nearly taking out our competition. Despite the loss of control, it felt solid and safe, I was never in any danger.

The lancing was humiliating, the less said about that the better.

Came 5th overall, winning a fancy water filter bottle, a kick ass giant bell, saddle cover, a t-shirt each. The top three prizes were quite cool, involving various balance bikes and equipment.

One of the click a courier (I think they are just a side branch of Cyclone couriers) crowd let me steal his ride for a while and take it for a spin. While all of the bikes were comfy, the Bullitts were a class of there own, the braking, control etc. was phenomenal. It was just like riding a really comfy hybrid, clipped along at a decent pace and the hydraulic brakes meant you could stop on a penny.

Definitely saving up for one of those bad boys, it will be my school delivery run transport of choice.

A good crowd, great atmosphere, friendly people, families and friends having a great day out. Well done again to the organisers.

Thanks for all the positive messages, I am delighted you enjoyed yourselves.
    It was all in all a very sucsesful event, even if the handlebars in the cargo bike went:eek:, they have been fixed at this stage.
    We even have provisionally booked the dates for next year :D

Just saw this today, hoping to make it this year!

10170944_150584881794454_8822148945044744034_n.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 djs64

Hi,

I hope this is right forum for this post - I am currently looking to buy an FR8 from WorkCycles in Amsterdam but unfortunately at the moment there is no WorkCycles dealer in Dublin so I can't get a test ride of the bike from a shop here. I was wondering it any FR8 owners in Dublin would be willing to let me (and the kids!) have a test ride of their bike to make sure its right for me before placing my order. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

djs64 wrote: »
    Hi,

I hope this is right forum for this post - I am currently looking to buy an FR8 from WorkCycles in Amsterdam but unfortunately at the moment there is no WorkCycles dealer in Dublin so I can't get a test ride of the bike from a shop here. I was wondering it any FR8 owners in Dublin would be willing to let me (and the kids!) have a test ride of their bike to make sure its right for me before placing my order. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

It looks like they soon may have a Dublin dealer:

https://www.facebook.com/dutch.bike.shop/posts/655958751138891

• Registered Users Posts: 2 djs64

Hi Monument,

Thanks for your reply. I was in contact with dutchbikeshop.ie a few weeks ago and while its great news they are soon to be a dealer for WorkCycles unfortunately they don't have bikes for testing at the moment - they suggested I post on boards to try contact existing owners, hence my original post. So if any FR8 owner could help I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

djs64 wrote: »
    I was in contact with dutchbikeshop.ie a few weeks ago

From their FB profile:
    The Dutch Bike Shop
    19 hours ago
    Our first WorkCycles order was done today, 4 FR8's will be on display in Dublin very soon, call in for a test ride on these beautiful machines
    https://www.facebook.com/dutch.bike.shop?fref=ts

Just seen on the Larry vs Harry site that their stockists in Ireland are now ThinkBike in Rathmines.

• Advertisement

Hah! Didn't noticed earlier.

And found a reason for this:
    8 August
    Thinkbike are proud to announce we are now stocking Bullitt bikes. The possibilities with these bikes are endless. Watch this space

Some may have met John, the owner, on Irish Cargo Bike Championships on a black Bullitt with canopy.

Picked up a Bullitt from ThinkBike last night for a test ride. Bit nervous on the way home last night but it handled well. Came into work on it this morning and have to say it was a dream. Oddly I felt slower due to the size and weight but I learned quickly to treat it like a car when planning to overtake or pull off from a set of lights and drop a gear or two. Looked at my Strava, over a 7k commute down the N11 and into town there was only a minute in the difference commute wise. Will put up a full review later on today. I imagine if I had cleats there would have been little or no difference in the commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

CramCycle wrote: »
    Picked up a Bullitt from ThinkBike last night for a test ride. Bit nervous on the way home last night but it handled well. Came into work on it this morning and have to say it was a dream. Oddly I felt slower due to the size and weight but I learned quickly to treat it like a car when planning to overtake or pull off from a set of lights and drop a gear or two. Looked at my Strava, over a 7k commute down the N11 and into town there was only a minute in the difference commute wise. Will put up a full review later on today. I imagine if I had cleats there would have been little or no difference in the commute.

That sounds savage, I got the go ahead from head office to buy a Bullitt if I pass my exams in September. Must pop out to Thinkbike at the weekend!

Hmm, reviews, turns out they are difficult to write. So here is a brief synopsis of my experience and perceived pros and cons, if anyone has any questions it might be easier than me trying to guess what people want to know about.

Left ThinkBike and initially felt slightly wobbily. The owner (John) had warned me about this, that you feel wobbily or you try and over correct the steering. It had disappeared by the time I got through Rathmines. I think its because you can't see the front wheel and your mind doesn't trust your hands initially so normally you don't correct for every slight bump in the road but because you can't see the wheel your mind tells you too.

Came round by the trinity apartments and down the hill towards the Dropping well, handles nice and steady and very comfortable. Despite the size I found I didn't take up any more size on the road at all. The first thing I had to change was my take off style. Riding single speed all the time, I am used to taking off in a high gear, took a few traffic lights to realise I should drop down a few gears, almost like driving a car. Makes your take off smoother and a hell of a lot quicker. Climbed the few short hills with relevant ease. Obviously slower than usual (not by much though) but there was no great effort much to my surprise and it felt quite like a comfortable spin.

So I got home, locked her up and was overall quite pleased. John had given me a version with the luxury pod for carrying kids, leather seats and fully enclosed with space for your necessities in behind their seat. Have to say the comfort riding around the local estate was great, no fear with the little guy in front. He was probably to small for the seat in it so I put a car seat into the seating area. He loved it, if a little confused as to what was going on.

The next morning I set off for work, down the hill on Fosters Avenue, again surprisingly solid on such a fast descent. I had planned to take the cycle path at the bottom (I usually use the bus lane as its more flat and quicker and no interactions with bus stops) but as I approached the lights I got a green, forgot my plan and carried on as normal. Despite my upright position I was clipping along quite nicely and I ended up staying in the bus lane and seemed to be no hindrance to other traffic. Once passing through Donnybrook, I held the lane more than usual but I think this was because it was not my bike and I was a tad defensive but I still ended up like I do on my regular bike getting held up by other road traffic.

Flew down to work from there on. Once in work the bike was met with alot of questions from co workers and trial spins at lunch time, one of whom has no went into ThinkBike over the weekend to order herself a Baboe bike (prefers the style). On the way back upto ThinkBike after work, the only negative I encountered was that people presumed you to be slow and swarmed around you on the Canal cycle path. Not a huge bother, just rude and nothing really to do with the bike.

Pros: Faster than expected, comfortable, Disc brakes are sharp to react, carries a huge amount in comfort, nice not to have a bag on my back and not have to play tetris to carry all my gear to work. Great if carrying kids as you can see them, maybe not a huge issue but it's something that sells the cargo bike to me.

Cons: Should have tried it with SPDs or similar, think it would have made it better for me, saddle is to wide for me so would be putting on my own, none of them the bikes fault. My wife won't let me get one until the little guy is three.

Overall, highly recommended, just wish my wife was more open to the idea, she freely admits her dislike is based on some irrational fear that she cannot justify, she has also ruled out child seats and trailers.

Any questions?

CramCycle wrote: »
    and initially felt slightly wobbily. The owner (John) had warned me about this, that you feel wobbily or you try and over correct the steering.
    It gets even funnier when you get on the regular bike after riding Bullitt for some time. In my case it takes around 15 minutes to get used to HOW responsive the steering is on the regular bike, too responsive! Like I was only learning how to cycle. Bullitt's steering is much of sailing a boat (noble!) than turning on the spot.
    I think its because you can't see the front wheel and your mind doesn't trust your hands initially
    Don't look for the front wheel. Look ahead and let your hands on the handlebar get you there. Otherwise you won't be able to start, constantly correcting for the front wheel turns.
    Great if carrying kids as you can see them, maybe not a huge issue but it's something that sells the cargo bike to me.
    That's why I moved from the trailer to cargo bike. We can now have a conversation at least.
    My wife won't let me get one until the little guy is three.

Overall, highly recommended, just wish my wife was more open to the idea, she freely admits her dislike is based on some irrational fear that she cannot justify, she has also ruled out child seats and trailers.
    The young fella started cycling in the trailer being 7 months, and done 11 km return 2 days a week (2,200 kms total). Then on his 4th birthday he moved onto bullitt, doing 11km, 5 days a week (2,700 kms so far). But it's not Dublin if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My wife's amenable to cargo bikes too. Not happy with trailer outside park (my trailer only holds one child anyway and I have two) and very unhappy with standard bicycle child seats.

I've even been measuring the side alley to see what bike I can't possibly afford to buy will fit into my back garden. Must find more work!

It gets even funnier when you get on the regular bike after riding Bullitt for some time. In my case it takes around 15 minutes to get used to HOW responsive the steering is on the regular bike, too responsive! Like I was only learning how to cycle. Bullitt's steering is much of sailing a boat (noble!) than turning on the spot
    Even after one day, I felt really high up on my regular bike and super fast eventhough there was no difference in speed.
    Don't look for the front wheel. Look ahead and let your hands on the handlebar get you there. Otherwise you won't be able to start, constantly correcting for the front wheel turns.
    Indeed, just takes a few minutes to get your head around it as you don't think it will be an issue.
    The young fella started cycling in the trailer being 7 months, and done 11 km return 2 days a week (2,200 kms total). Then on his 4th birthday he moved onto bullitt, doing 11km, 5 days a week (2,700 kms so far). But it's not Dublin if you ask me.
    Ours is just 11 months, perfectly fine to sit and move on his own. My OH freely admits her concerns are unfounded but as a Mother she does not need reason or logic when it comes to her child. I decided at this point any further discussion was just pointless.

Another thing I forgot was how steady it was, once the kickstand was down its solid in place, another reason the cargo bike appealed to me over the childseat.

I was talking to Adrian in the shop after I returned it and he was telling me that it is common that one parent is really eager and the other often isn't. It really is a pity as my other daughter had an aversion to cycling after my wife and mother in law kept going on about the dangers and is only starting to go out in Dublin on the Roads now (at the age of 18). Looks like they are going to be more and more common place though as there was another few just in the door asking about a trial as well which to me is great as it will normalise it in the general publics eyes.

Save the date!

21st June 2015

Irish Cargobike Championships are back!

ZHrwuux.jpg?1

Advertisement