Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy cd's?

Options
  • 31-05-2013 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Now that HMV and xtravision are gone where's the best place if there is one in dublin15?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've the same question but for DVD's ha! Heatons I suppose has stuff but I wouldn't know what genres or how recent the merchandise would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Golden Discs is opening in the centre soon, where Game used to be I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Heatons
    Dunes
    Tesco

Limited stock in all 3 store

I thought Xtra vision in the centre was still open. When did it close??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

January wrote: »
    Golden Discs is opening in the centre soon, where Game used to be I think.

I was just thinking that would be a great business move for them. I think they will really clean up there, as since play.com and HMV have gone I haven't bought a cd.

Maybe Id be pushing the boat in wanting tower records in blanch!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

robertxxx wrote: »
    Maybe I pushing the boat in wanting tower records in blanch!

Tower are excellent but I stopped buying there because their prices are completely unrealistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Justask wrote: »
    Heatons
    Dunes
    Tesco

Limited stock in all 3 store

I thought Xtra vision in the centre was still open. When did it close??

half 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 qaswww

why would you buy cds
    download your music
    any charity shop has them,

Cd's have a higher bit rate that iTunes downloaded music which in turn sounds better.

Not sure about illegal downloads, don't know the bit rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Cd's have a higher bit rate that iTunes downloaded music which in turn sounds better.
    And with a CD you get the liner notes, some are an interesting or amusing read and often have lyrics printed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The unit where Golden Discs is going in is fairly small so I wouldn't get excited about what selection they'll have. Recent releases, top 30 chart maybe. Same as Dunnes/Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

Where abouts in the centre is Golden Disc going to be?

I miss browsing through the DVD and CD collections... its just not the same as shopping online for them

Beside Aldo I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Wow, just passed Golden Discs today not knowing it was opening and thought it was a Gamestop store or something until I saw the Dexter covers and stopped! Great to have somewhere in the centre again even if it is small. It's still nice to buy physical product every now and again even in 2013! :)

Xtravision is still there ? In the blanch Centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The unit where Golden Discs is going in is fairly small so I wouldn't get excited about what selection they'll have. Recent releases, top 30 chart maybe. Same as Dunnes/Tesco.

That's all they tended to have usually as far as I can remember. Other than some cheap compilations of 50's/60's/ country music.
    Xtravision is still there ? In the blanch Centre.

Yeah, it's still open. Went by yesterday. They've posters in the window for a sale.

Xtravision are now having a closing down sale :(

I thought they'd been bought out by the same people that bought HMV? Maybe they're only closing certain stores?

Which one, Blanch centre?

Zaph wrote: »
    Which one, Blanch centre?

Yes, closing on Saturday I think.

• Advertisement

Not wasting any time, are they?

It'll be interesting to see if Hilco re-open HMV if Xtravision is closing. It wasn't mentioned in the first group of re-openings, but they did say more would follow later. It would be surprising for them not to have at least one outlet in one of the county's biggest shopping centres.

I wonder would Golden Discs have bothered opening if they had any inkling of HMV coming back?

At this stage I doubt if even HMV's new owners know for certain which stores will be re-opening. I suppose a lot depends on whether they can do a deal on rent with Green Property. Given that there are a few vacant units, I'd be amazed if Green weren't prepared to do a deal to get such a high profile name back, but there might be a bit of negotiation to get through first.

^ Well as far as I know all the newer businesses that have opened have gotten a % of profits kind of deal on their rent, rather than the set figure that used to be in place.
    It had to be done because they were charging extortionate amounts for rent in a very challenging time for a lot of businesses.

I wonder would Golden Discs have bothered opening if they had any inkling of HMV coming back?

HMV are only open a few stores and blanch isn't one of them.

Henry st, dundrum, and two other.

HMV are only open a few stores and blanch isn't one of them.

Henry st, dundrum, and two other.

I know that. My comment was in reply to the one above wondering if they'd reopen now that Xtra Vision was closing. I was pointing out that it would be unlikely that Golden Discs would have opened a store in Blanch if there were any rumours at all of HMV reopening.

Advertisement