Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato waffles in the US!!

Options
  • 31-05-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, as we all know the way to a woman's Heart is via her stomach!
    This particular woman loves potato waffles!

Is there anyone selling them online for delivery within the US? I was guessing that as they are frozen this could be tricky!!

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If you mean a particular brand that you get in ireland then the answer is probably no. But waffle fries are available in a lot of supermarkets and are't a million miles from what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Do you mean potato farls?

silja wrote: »
    Do you mean potato farls?

No, I don't think so.

tumblr_lthpyt3nWu1qiqdluo1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Yeah that's them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No way you'd be able to get them in the US. There is no way to ship them, and keep them frozen.

Websites such as http://www.foodireland.com/ have a wide variety of Irish food products that you can order on line, including some meat/dairy products. You order them as long as you agree to their policy on shipping perishable items that need to be kept chilled. But frozen items are impossible to ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No way you'd be able to get them in the US. There is no way to ship them, and keep them frozen.

birds eye is owned by an american company called pinnacle foods so i think you might be sorted

Websites such as http://www.foodireland.com/ have a wide variety of Irish food products that you can order on line, including some meat/dairy products. You order them as long as you agree to their policy on shipping perishable items that need to be kept chilled. But frozen items are impossible to ship.
    frozen items are impossible to ship???????? where ie the logic for that. birds eye an irish product. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

gowley wrote: »
    birds eye is owned by an american company called pinnacle foods so i think you might be sorted

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. Several companies have rights to the BirdsEye trademark and they're not all related.

Nor is BirdsEye an Irish product by any means. It's British / multi-national. Their HQ was in Grimsby for many, many years.

In Europe it was owned by Unilever from the 1930s until 2006 and was sold to a private equity group called Permira when Unilever was culling various parts of its huge empire.

In the USA it's owned by Pinnacle foods.

There are a few situations like that e.g. Persil is owned by Unilever in the UK, Ireland, France and NZ and it's owned by Henkel of Germany everywhere else.

You could always just make some mash and put it into a waffle iron?

Solair wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. Several companies have rights to the BirdsEye trademark and they're not all related.

In Europe it was owned by Unilever from the 1930s until 2006 and was sold to a private equity group called Permira when Unilever was culling various parts of its huge empire.

In the USA it's owned by Pinnacle foods.

There are a few situations like that e.g. Persil is owned by Unilever in the UK, Ireland, France and NZ and it's owned by Henkel of Germany everywhere else.

where is your logig for frozen not being able to be shipped. there are hundreds of food products that come from thailand being sold in the freezers of irish supermarkets.

where is your logig for frozen not being able to be shipped. there are hundreds of food products that come from thailand being sold in the freezers of irish supermarkets.

I'm not sure why you're addressing that question to me, I never mentioned it anything about frozen food not being shippable.

It's quite easy to ship, provide you've got an adequate economy of scale. For an individual shipping a couple of boxes of potato waffles, it would be very difficult to do as you can't just ship a frozen parcel by DHL / UPS etc too easily.

Then you've got the issue that BirdsEye is a trademark in the US, owned by another company so you wouldn't be able to market BirdsEye products there from someone else.

--- Your best bet would be to find another similar product, or make your own.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you're addressing that question to me, I never mentioned it anything about frozen food not being shippable.

It's quite easy to ship, provide you've got an adequate economy of scale. For an individual shipping a couple of boxes of potato waffles, it would be very difficult to do as you can't just ship a frozen parcel by DHL / UPS etc too easily.

Then you've got the issue that BirdsEye is a trademark in the US, owned by another company so you wouldn't be able to market BirdsEye products there from someone else.

--- Your best bet would be to find another similar product, or make your own.

apologies solair that was meant to be a reply to someone who stated earlier that you cant ship frozen food

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

Ponster wrote: »
    No, I don't think so.

tumblr_lthpyt3nWu1qiqdluo1_400.jpg

Birds eye waffles and fried eggs.The shizzle

They do have waffle fries in the USA.

http://www.alexiafoods.com/products/potatoes/waffle-fries

Not quite the same, but you might be able to do something with them ..

I am not saying that frozen foods can not be shipped ever. Of course they can if you have your own fleet of refrigerated containers/boats/planes/trucks etc etc. The product that the OP is looking for is not sold in the US. So it would have to be imported from Ireland by a company such as foodireland.com. The item would then be purchased by the OP from their website & shipped to the OP's home.

This is done via the US postal service and the likes of UPS & FedEx. Companies such as those do not offer a method to ship frozen foods safely & securely, as there would be all kinds of health and safety permutations involved. That is what I meant by their not being able to ship frozen goods. I was speaking in the context of a ordering from a company such as foodireland. Of course large companies can move frozen food products from A to B, but a small company such as foodireland couldn't ship frozen foods to their customers. It wouldn't be cost effective.

OP the only frozen Irish food that I've seen here is Brennen's Bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

You need Waffle House.

WH will crave your potato waffle cravings.

MenuBack_13.jpg

MenuFront_13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just buy a waffle maker, vintage ones available here....

http://www.toastercentral.com/waffles.htm

New models here....

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=289942

Comparing a Waffle House waffle with a yummy Birds Eye waffle, is like comparing Barcelona FC with the lads having a kick about down the local park. There is no comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I am currently in the Midwest and got them from Food Ireland a while back (they were Green Isle brand), they pack them in a freezer box type thing and ship it 2 day UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They're waffley versatile :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If you are in NY there is numerous places to get them.
    Butcher Block in Sunnyside for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Hang on is making potato waffles as easy as putting mashed potatoes in a waffle iron? News to me... tasty delicious news if true!

Butcher Block in Sunnyside for one.

I was there a couple of weeks back but don't remember seeing them but then again I wasn't looking out for them either I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You know, I forgot all about potato waffles until this thread.... yeah, used to love them with Heinz Baked Beans (baked beans are different here too... sweeter, I think?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Comparing a Waffle House waffle with a yummy Birds Eye waffle, is like comparing Barcelona FC with the lads having a kick about down the local park. There is no comparison.

ProudDUB, you better take that back!

You know it's not true :confused:

Capital punishment has been administered for less grievous utterings.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

silja wrote: »
    You know, I forgot all about potato waffles until this thread.... yeah, used to love them with Heinz Baked Beans (baked beans are different here too... sweeter, I think?).

Heinz are still Heinz when you can get them although much more expensive. Thank god for Fresh N Easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Ponster wrote: »
    I was there a couple of weeks back but don't remember seeing them but then again I wasn't looking out for them either I suppose.

In the freezers in the back left corner of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Advertisement

I am not saying that frozen foods can not be shipped ever. Of course they can if you have your own fleet of refrigerated containers/boats/planes/trucks etc etc. The product that the OP is looking for is not sold in the US. So it would have to be imported from Ireland by a company such as foodireland.com. The item would then be purchased by the OP from their website & shipped to the OP's home.

This is done via the US postal service and the likes of UPS & FedEx. Companies such as those do not offer a method to ship frozen foods safely & securely, as there would be all kinds of health and safety permutations involved. That is what I meant by their not being able to ship frozen goods. I was speaking in the context of a ordering from a company such as foodireland. Of course large companies can move frozen food products from A to B, but a small company such as foodireland couldn't ship frozen foods to their customers. It wouldn't be cost effective.

well according to ruubot who is out there foofireland can ship them

Advertisement