Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato waffles in the US!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

dave2pvd wrote: »
    ProudDUB, you better take that back!

You know it's not true :confused:

Capital punishment has been administered for less grievous utterings.

I'd sooner eat dog food ! :D

Can someone throw up the link to the FoodIreland page where you can order them? I just clicked on several of the tabs on their website (breakfast, other items, new items and a few others) but I couldn't find them. Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I am not saying that frozen foods can not be shipped ever. Of course they can if you have your own fleet of refrigerated containers/boats/planes/trucks etc etc. The product that the OP is looking for is not sold in the US. So it would have to be imported from Ireland by a company such as foodireland.com. The item would then be purchased by the OP from their website & shipped to the OP's home.

This is done via the US postal service and the likes of UPS & FedEx. Companies such as those do not offer a method to ship frozen foods safely & securely, as there would be all kinds of health and safety permutations involved. That is what I meant by their not being able to ship frozen goods. I was speaking in the context of a ordering from a company such as foodireland. Of course large companies can move frozen food products from A to B, but a small company such as foodireland couldn't ship frozen foods to their customers. It wouldn't be cost effective.
    just look at the website you quoted and they ship plenty of frozen foods. why do people state stuff that is completely untrue

This is from FoodIreland's own website
    As the temperatures heat up across the country during the summer months, we strongly advise our customers, who live outside of the two-day shipping area*, to select Next Day or Second Day air when shipping candy or chocolate covered cookies.

The reason for this is that we do not have any control over the handling of your order once it is handed over to UPS. UPS do NOT have any kind of refrigerated methods of transportation that we know of.

We will pack all chocolate orders in an insulated container and we will include ice packs. Orders containing chocolate will only ship Monday through Wednesday so that they do not sit in a hot warehouse over the weekend.

http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SHIPPING&Store_Code=FI

Food Ireland will ship perishable food items, such as sausages and rashers that are ok going from A to B as long as they are kept cool with appropriate packing. I never said that they didn't. What they do not do (as far as I am aware) is ship frozen items that are shipped out frozen, and are still frozen when they arrive at their final destination, the customers home. They don't do this as they don't use a shipping company that has the refrigerated warehouses and trucks that you need to keep the items fully frozen.

I am totally open to being corrected on this, as I have family in the States who would love to be able to order these items. So if someone can show me link on the FoodIreland website where you can order items that are still frozen when they arrive, I'd be more than happy to munch on some humble pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I ordered black pudding, rashers and waffles in one order. Ichose 2nd day air and got them two days from the order date. They were still frozen in the container and box, obviously if you are concerned that they will be in transit too long, choose a faster shipping method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    I ordered black pudding, rashers and waffles in one order. Ichose 2nd day air and got them two days from the order date. They were still frozen in the container and box, obviously if you are concerned that they will be in transit too long, choose a faster shipping method.

A faster method than delivery by plane?
    I cant see NASA sending the Challenger over to Ireland to pick up a dozen boxes of frozen waffles no matter how good they taste!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Hilarious stuff, food Ireland are based in New York.

I cant see NASA sending the Challenger over to Ireland to pick up a dozen boxes of frozen waffles no matter how good they taste!

No, neither can I, seeing as it was one of the Space Shuttles that blew up ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I can't find the waffles on the site. Where are they?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yeah I have ordered frozen stuff from websites before, they are usually very careful with the way they package. I still wouldn't order June- August when it gets super hot here in Arkansas, but other than that you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I am not saying that frozen foods can not be shipped ever. Of course they can if you have your own fleet of refrigerated containers/boats/planes/trucks etc etc. The product that the OP is looking for is not sold in the US. So it would have to be imported from Ireland by a company such as foodireland.com. The item would then be purchased by the OP from their website & shipped to the OP's home.

This is done via the US postal service and the likes of UPS & FedEx. Companies such as those do not offer a method to ship frozen foods safely & securely, as there would be all kinds of health and safety permutations involved. That is what I meant by their not being able to ship frozen goods. I was speaking in the context of a ordering from a company such as foodireland. Of course large companies can move frozen food products from A to B, but a small company such as foodireland couldn't ship frozen foods to their customers. It wouldn't be cost effective.

they clearly state on their website that they can ship frozen food. donegal catch is just one example. all you do is select next day air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I could be wrong here but aren't there zero potatoes in American waffles, i.e. the ones in every breakfast diner or Waffle House. They are 2 different things, just both happen to be waffle shaped and called waffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I could be wrong here but aren't there zero potatoes in American waffles, i.e. the ones in every breakfast diner or Waffle House. They are 2 different things, just both happen to be waffle shaped and called waffles.

Correct.

Potato waffles are mostly a UK/IRL phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

thanks for all the feedback folks, I'm so close yet so far!

not seeing them listed on the food Ireland site!
    [-0-] wrote: »
    I can't find the waffles on the site. Where are they?!?

likewise! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's possible that they are not available during the summer months. I know a German online business I occasionally buy from, and their frozen/ chilled section is severely restricted during the summer due to issues shipping in the heat, even with 2nd day air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

silja wrote: »
    It's possible that they are not available during the summer months. I know a German online business I occasionally buy from, and their frozen/ chilled section is severely restricted during the summer due to issues shipping in the heat, even with 2nd day air.

you could be right! I've emailed them anyway so I'll see what they say!

I'm flying over in august, I wonder couldI find a method of shipping some stuff in my suitcase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Unlike most frozen things potato waffles don't quickly go bad once they thaw. When I was in college we used to keep waffles in the fridge if we ran out room in the freezer, although it's harder to cook them in the toaster if they're not frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Saw this over on lifehacker

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Or stop adding expense and unnecessary food miles to your crappy frozen food, and make fresh delicious real food.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/potato-waffles/

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GradGirl27

Been in the states now 9 months and haven't seen any american equivalent to these :( but those pictures are making me crave them now!!! I mean they eat sweet waffles here for breakfast its gross but hey what we like and what they like are always going to differ. Theres a lot of similar kind of products and those waffle fries are kind of similar but they arent the exact same :( just have to do without im afraid. It's America though and they have EVERYTHING else you could ever want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Was in the Butcher Block in Sunnyside today and there are loads of Green Isle potato waffles in the freezer.They taste pretty much the same as birdseyes ones.

edit:just realised i mentioned this place itt already.Im not connected to it just helping with cravings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

MadsL wrote: »
    Or stop adding expense and unnecessary food miles to your crappy frozen food, and make fresh delicious real food.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/potato-waffles/

Exactly.

Frozen Birds Eye whatever is basically junk food.

Make your own. Seriously? is it that hard to make a waffle???

She'll appreciate it even more too if you learned how to cook them yourself than if you just figured out how to transfer frozen (junk) food across the atlantic.

:)

Advertisement