Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Supermarkets

Options
  • 31-05-2013 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭

Currently a bit bored with the local supermarket and was wondering if anyone has one they can recommend, say within 5 Km of the city center ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

ror_74 wrote: »
    Currently a bit bored with the local supermarket and was wondering if anyone has one they can recommend, say within 5 Km of the city center ?
    what city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

gowley wrote: »
    what city centre

Take a look at the forum name ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Nolans in Clontarf is great imo. Lots of local suppliers and good value offers. Are you Northside or Southside?

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Take a look at the forum name ;)

lol. cheers simpson.

donnybrook fair have a few outlets around but are a bit expensive. you would also have a dunnes , tesco , aldi , lidl and probably a supervalu within a 5km radius. as a matter of interest what is tour local supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There's a new Tesco on the Navan Road (open less than a year). I live in Blanch but do almost all my shopping in the Navan Road branch , it's a way more pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Currently a bit bored with the local supermarket
    Does this imply that you were once interested in a supermarket? :eek: That's like saying that you were once interested in the inside of your wheelie bin! :eek:

Get a grip on yourself man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Was just about to suggest Nolan's in Clontarf. Always pick up something new and unusual and they stock lots of Irish food products (breads, sausages, sauces, cheeses etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

gowley wrote: »
    lol. cheers simpson.
    That's Mr Simpson to you. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

+1 on Nolan's in Clontarf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

+1 on Nolan's and I find Supervalu in Killester to far outdo other Supervalu shops in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Nolans in Clontarf is great imo. Lots of local suppliers and good value offers. Are you Northside or Southside?

The means streets of the North Inner city :cool:
    Does this imply that you were once interested in a supermarket? :eek: That's like saying that you were once interested in the inside of your wheelie bin! :eek:

Get a grip on yourself man!

I should rephrase that as, my local supermarket is offering fare in which my interest has been steadily diminishing. As for wheelie bins, the only good one is an empty one. Grip restored ;)

Nolans looks good. Might check out Superquinn in Ranelagh too. My sister swears by Superquinn. The local is Tescos, and selection of food aside, am not sure if they are worth supporting or not.

They are a good local employer though. But I hear they squeeze their suppliers and routinely cancel contracts for the sake of product rotation - bit annoying when you find something you like and then it just vanishes for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Superquinn blanch is very good at times. If you can ignore the fact its like something out of 1980s American film. Their prices has gotten very competitive in recent years and their meat is fair better and cheaper than anywhere else( they apparently have the same meat supplier as aldi). Plus their silian or yellow chickens are amazing.

Lidls own brand is better than most branded stuff through. Plus most of Aldis own brand things that are fresh are Irish sourced

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Mortons on Dunville Avenue in Ranelagh is a change from the usual, mind you your pocket will notice the difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not a supermarket, but very good fruit and veg shop on North Strand - she will order in all sorts of things on request, but already stocks quite an array of the less common fruits and vegetables.

Nolans looks good. Might check out Superquinn in Ranelagh too. My sister swears by Superquinn.

Ranelagh is a smaller store. Superquinn in Balinteer is much better.

Advertisement