Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AvantCard: putting in credit for travel abroad.

Options
  • 31-05-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭

Question, If i put my card in credit for travel. Do i get hit with advance cash charges and are transactions covered for fraud ?

I heard historically it was best to credit the card when travelling as it was easiest way to minimise transaction costs that you would have with a debit card while abroad. Second advantage is fraud protection.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Credit for travel is good, as it does cut charges.

However, your credit is not covered by fraud protection. Major disadvantage.

Personally, I put some credit there when I travel, but I also use online banking to top up the card while away, so there are no major surprises when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It may not nessecarily cut the charges. Many cards now charge the same fees for cash withdrawals/purchases even when in credit.

The credit balance will not be covered against fraud, as pointed out.

Advertisement