Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal accident litigation - UK

• 01-06-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

About 3 weeks ago I had an accident in Newcastle. I was walking down the street and tripped over a rubbish bag someone had left out in the middle of the path. I lost my three front teeth, broke my nose and cut my face up pretty badly. I went straight to an emergency dentist so there is a record of my injuries, but I got on my scheduled flight the next day and since sought treatment at home.

Everyone Ive spoken to in the UK since says to "sue the council". I hadnt considered it at first, but now Im looking at 6k plus in medical bills I would look at it should it be a possibility.

I think I have no possibility whatsoever as i) I wouldnt have thought the council could be responsible for individuals throwing rubbish on a street, and ii) I was too worried about my teeth to take photographic evidence, and Im sure the rubbish has since been removed!

I will do other research, but if anyone has any thoughts / prior experiences I would welcome them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timfy

Alternatively, watch where you're walking and take a bit of personal responsibility...

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Very helpful, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Blackrockcomet

If you are in Ireland, talk to a Solicitor here and they can refer you to an English colleague and may be able to manage the case on your behalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

About 3 weeks ago I had an accident in Newcastle. I was walking down the street and tripped over a rubbish bag someone had left out in the middle of the path.
    Lets just talk in hypotheticals to satisfy the charter, I don't know that the council would have any responsibility in such a case.

Cases like this in the UK come under the Highways Act 1980. In British case law, one of the elements required in a personal injury claim of this nature is the establishment of a dangerous condition being created by the failure to maintain or repair the highway, and the council may raise a defence that the council had taken such care as was reasonably required to safeguard pedestrians.

In this hypothetical case, the danger seems to have arisen from the behaviour of a resident; the council were scheduled to collect the rubbish bag in the normal course of their maintenance of the highway, but had not yet done so.

In such a hypothetical case, a plaintiff would surely take a case against the resident or owner of the property in question. I'd suggest anyone in these circumstances takes the appropriate legal advice.

Advertisement