Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Defy 3 specs confusion

Options
  • 01-06-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Hi, guys

I got two bicycles today from a bike shop /will not say where... yet/.
    One Giant Defy 3 for myself and a Giant Avail 3 for my wife. They were not available in store so I waited for about a week for mine and 3 weeks for my wife's bike arrive in the shop. We went yesterday to get them set up and ready for us. In the work place the light was not great, I didn't really have time to look at the bikes so we just got them prepared. I went back today to pay for and collect them.
    When I got back home I noticed that mine did not come with the "Giant" handbook in a bag with a bell and wheel reflectors and the front and rear reflectors were already mounted on it. At the same time my wife's bike had yellow protectors that I removed from the gear levers, protective wrapper on 3 places, as well as sealed orange sticker on the front wheel release clamp and it came with sealed "Giant" bag with all reflectors and bell in. Had a look at mine again and noticed that there were very small mud stains all over the underbody of the frame and the tyres did not look as brand new. OK, I said to myself, that might have been a display model and some one had tried it in a wet weather.
    I expected to get and paid for a bike that is to be brand new, out of the box. Am I right to think like that?
    I have not been told I'd be given a display model at any stage...

I would have moved on if I hadn't noticed something else though.
    The cranks on Defy 3 should be Sora, as well as the levers and deraillors, is that correct?!? I checked the cpecs here:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.3/9014/48855/#specifications

I don't know if this is standard set up for all Defy 3 all over the world, so please enlighten me.
    The cranks that my bike came up with are Tempo FSA. I find it odd.
    As well as that on my bike I got sticker with my name on and when I removed it, there was a name of someone else and his phone number... Well that could be just a coincidence.
    So, generally I feel that there's something I have not been told by the seller.
    Hopefully you guys, who are far more experienced would advise me. I spend a good bit of money on two bikes and I shouldn't really be getting the feeling I have been... fooled.

Just to add that the cranks the Avail 3 came with are Sora.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

peposhi wrote: »
    Hi, guys

I got two bicycles today from a bike shop /will not say where... yet/.
    One Giant Defy 3 for myself and a Giant Avail 3 for my wife. They were not available in store so I waited for about a week for mine and 3 weeks for my wife's bike arrive in the shop. We went yesterday to get them set up and ready for us. In the work place the light was not great, I didn't really have time to look at the bikes so we just got them prepared. I went back today to pay for and collect them.
    When I got back home I noticed that mine did not come with the "Giant" handbook in a bag with a bell and wheel reflectors and the front and rear reflectors were already mounted on it. At the same time my wife's bike had yellow protectors that I removed from the gear levers, protective wrapper on 3 places, as well as sealed orange sticker on the front wheel release clamp and it came with sealed "Giant" bag with all reflectors and bell in. Had a look at mine again and noticed that there were very small mud stains all over the underbody of the frame and the tyres did not look as brand new. OK, I said to myself, that might have been a display model and some one had tried it in a wet weather.
    I expected to get and paid for a bike that is to be brand new, out of the box. Am I right to think like that?
    I have not been told I'd be given a display model at any stage...

I would have moved on if I hadn't noticed something else though.
    The cranks on Defy 3 should be Sora, as well as the levers and deraillors, is that correct?!? I checked the cpecs here:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.3/9014/48855/#specifications

I don't know if this is standard set up for all Defy 3 all over the world, so please enlighten me.
    The cranks that my bike came up with are Tempo FSA. I find it odd.
    As well as that on my bike I got sticker with my name on and when I removed it, there was a name of someone else and his phone number... Well that could be just a coincidence.
    So, generally I feel that there's something I have not been told by the seller.
    Hopefully you guys, who are far more experienced would advise me. I spend a good bit of money on two bikes and I shouldn't really be getting the feeling I have been... fooled.

Just to add that the cranks the Avail 3 came with are Sora.

European bikes have a different spec - have a look here: www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.3.red.black.white/11833/56803/#specifications

I'd say your bike is grand - one tiny cycle will make a road bike dirty. Maybe it's just sloppy prep by the shop? As long as there is no actual problem, the best thing for you to do is to just go out and enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Ok you have linked to the usa 2012 spec, if you got a euro 2013 bike the crankset is not the same and is FSA tempo compact and not a shimano sora.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.3.white.blue.black/11833/56804/#specifications
    I don't understand why you wouldn't go straight back to the Shop and sort out getting your handbook and address your other questions with them, I'd imagine they would be happy to help you.
    I know you said you didn't have time to look properly at the bikes in the shop, but go talk to them now is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

route66 wrote: »
    European bikes have a different spec - have a look here: www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.3.red.black.white/11833/56803/#specifications

I'd say your bike is grand - one tiny cycle will make a road bike dirty. Maybe it's just sloppy prep by the shop? As long as there is no actual problem, the best thing for you to do is to just go out and enjoy it :)

The link says it all...
    At the end of the day the bike runs well so I'd just enjoy it. It's really nice, very fast compared to my previous hybrid Raleigh.
    Thanks for your help.

Ok you have linked to the usa 2012 spec, if you got a euro 2013 bike the crankset is not the same and is FSA tempo compact and not a shimano sora.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.3.white.blue.black/11833/56804/#specifications
    I don't understand why you wouldn't go straight back to the Shop and sort out getting your handbook and address your other questions with them, I'd imagine they would be happy to help you.
    I know you said you didn't have time to look properly at the bikes in the shop, but go talk to them now is your best bet.

Working over the weekend so the earliest would have been tuesday morning and the shop is an hour drive from my house :)
    Plus I didn't want to just go a give out over this or that without actually knowing what I'm talking about :) So I asked for your advice, lads

Thank you for your help.
    Bike is fine, cranks is what it should be. I'm going for a cycle now with me wifey an have fun

Tha

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Bought a Giant Defy back in February and a few days later realised I should have got a manual. Went back to the shop and sure enough the bag with the Manual, etc. was in the workshop.
    My bike had been on display and obviously the manual had been put aside and just forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

The link says it all...
    At the end of the day the bike runs well so I'd just enjoy it. It's really nice, very fast compared to my previous hybrid Raleigh.
    Thanks for your help.

Welcome!

That's a nice bike you have there. Enjoy it and come back and tell us how you get on.

route66 wrote: »
    Welcome!

That's a nice bike you have there. Enjoy it and come back and tell us how you get on.

Just back :) Cycling feels soo light, love it! Had to ride slower than normal as my other half needs to build up a bit. She's only started yesterday after so many years just sitting on the sofa hahahaha

25k today, didn't feel them at all. I have a target of 100k to reach over the next few weeks. The longest distance I've done so far was just shy of 60k with my old hybrid. But it feels so easy with the Defy. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Just back :) Cycling feels soo light, love it! Had to ride slower than normal as my other half needs to build up a bit. She's only started yesterday after so many years just sitting on the sofa hahahaha

25k today, didn't feel them at all. I have a target of 100k to reach over the next few weeks. The longest distance I've done so far was just shy of 60k with my old hybrid. But it feels so easy with the Defy. Delighted!

That's cool! I got the giant avail 2 and going for a spin tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The "manual" is mostly warranty information and tips on not to ride with your handlebars facing the wrong way or downhill with the quick release levers open. Honestly, you don't need it and it's not something I'd be kicking up a fuss over. It's not a DVD player, it's a bike. You get on it and turn the pedals.

As for the dirt, you say it arrived after a week but your wife's arrived after 3? In which case they had it for at least 2 weeks in the shop? They may have taken it for a ride after putting it together out of the box, or they might have had a customer come in and wanted to test ride a Defy and that was the only size available. They should have cleaned the bike, but most "new" bikes come with a bit of test mileage on them and unless the bike was dropped or scratched, I wouldn't worry.

Bikes come new in the box, sure, but they still have to be assembled and ridden to make sure they don't fall apart and gears/brakes are setup correctly. Again, not a DVD player so you will never get one totally untouched. I'm sorry to say this, but the bike shop I dealt with only treated the high end bikes with the utmost respect, entry level road bikes were not afforded the same. It's obviously not the way it should be and I'd be wary of any shop with that attitude, but it's also a case of buyer beware. They may hate you for it, but if you're buying a bike you should probably give it a good going over for scratches or signs of wear and make an issue before handing over cash.

Anyway, enjoy the bike and forget about this, but if you were unhappy with the shop then just don't go back there. Plenty of decent ones around.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I bought a new Defy 3 late last year. I asked if there was manual with the bike and the guy in the shop said bikes don't have manuals anymore. He then said he would see if he could find an old manual hanging around, and he gave me a manual on my next visit.

The manual came in a bag, but as mentioned by a Dirk it is mainly warranty and ridiculous safety information. The bike did not come with reflectors or a bell.

Also, after my first ride or two I noticed the paint had been damaged on the inside of the crank arm. I'm certain that I could not have done it, but there was no way to prove this, so I didn't bother mentioning it to the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

That's cool! I got the giant avail 2 and going for a spin tomorrow :)

Are you the "other half":D

Happy Cycling.;)

Bike is doing just fine.. Just the usual tweaks when you get something new.
    Done 105k charity cycle today Loved it

Advertisement