Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riots in Turkey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

No but I am sure it will be better than the riot in Portmarnock.

Let us know when you hear some more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Anyone else hearing about these riots in Turkey?

Apparently, it was instigated by a crowd of cocky people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And its not even christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Yeah I was at them. Police went a bit ape-shít using teargas constantly throughout the day, there's reports that some people died and a lot of injuries. It will probably come out clearer in the news tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/cemadrian/status/340584024479248384/photo/1

^^ This is the top of the main shopping street in Istanbul, the equivalent of Grafton St. in Dublin so to speak - tens of thousands of people walk through here every day. The cylindrical metal containers are empty gas canister shells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Peanut wrote: »
    Yeah I was at them. Police went a bit ape-shít using teargas constantly throughout the day, there's reports that some people died and a lot of injuries. It will probably come out clearer in the news tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/cemadrian/status/340584024479248384/photo/1

^^ This is the top of the main shopping street in Istanbul, the equivalent of Grafton St. in Dublin so to speak - tens of thousands of people walk through here every day. The cylindrical metal containers are empty gas canister shells.

Do you think that the Halk TV reports of 1000 police & 15 chiefs of police resigning are true?

• Advertisement

Do you think that the Halk TV reports of 1000 police & 15 chiefs of police resigning are true?

No idea really since there have been a ton of rumours mostly on Twitter, such as the phones being jammed, twitter being blocked (?), TV chiefs resigning because they weren't allowed to broadcast coverage.

Only thing I can say for certain being here is that this was unlike any previous protest in the level of police response and general recklessness, putting tourists and the public at risk as well as the protesters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Ahhh, spring is in the air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

old_aussie wrote: »
    Ahhh, spring is in the air.

if that's in reference to the Arab spring,you do realise that turkey is in fact a republic right?

Just went to the corner shop there to get some water and still got a blast of tear gas in the air @ 4.30 am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

That's the result of Erdogan and his 12+years in power-authoritarian and nationalist and pushing an Islamization of the country. Increasing divide between the secular west and conservative east.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/01/world/europe/police-attack-protesters-in-istanbuls-taksim-square.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

• Advertisement

The suggested Islamist tendencies of the AKP are certainly a worry for a lot of people, however I think what has sparked the current upset is the constant pressure on free speech and media, increasingly heavy-handed reactions to protests, and the suspicion that the gov. is perpetually in cahoots with the wealthy and big business sector over the interests of local people.

There is a feeling of helplessness when those affected are faced with these prospects, since the ruling party still enjoy widespread support due to a relatively strong economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

pmcmahon wrote: »
    if that's in reference to the Arab spring,you do realise that turkey is in fact a republic right?

A republic with what is starting to look like an eternal leader...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

That's the result of Erdogan and his 12+years in power-authoritarian and nationalist and pushing an Islamization of the country....

A nightmare scenario for any free minded person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair, if Turkey can collectively ignore the armenian genocide, they can probably forget about a riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Islam worldwide needs a few more Kemal Ataturk's & less credence given to cleric's & mullahs.

Just got back from spending the evening in the center, the mood in the city is anarchist street party.

The police have completely pulled out of the central area so everywhere that was previously off-limits is now filled with people, although there are reports that they've targeted some other areas instead.

A lot of shop windows are broken, everywhere has been graffitied with anti-Erdogan slogans, and a number of buses and police cars have been destroyed and upturned.

On the other hand, these chaps seemed to be enjoying themselves outside the U2 pub...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Just got back from spending the evening in the center, the mood in the city is anarchist street party.

The police have completely pulled out of the central area so everywhere that was previously off-limits is now filled with people, although there are reports that they've targeted some other areas instead.

A lot of shop windows are broken, everywhere has been graffitied with anti-Erdogan slogans, and a number of buses and police cars have been destroyed and upturned.

On the other hand, these chaps seemed to be enjoying themselves outside the U2 pub...

Thank you Peanut, our resident foreign affairs correspondent. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Wasn't there talks of Turkey joining the EU at some stage? I can see how they have so much in common with Dublin!

I've uploaded the photos I took this evening here - http://imgur.com/a/iDYmV#0

The police had decided to leave just shortly beforehand so this is the aftermath of some of the rioting. Also, the park has been re-occupied but I don't think anyone knows what will happen now - presumably the gov. don't either having been caught unawares at how events unfolded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Never visited Turkey but always had a great desire to go to Istanbul.

A lot of very negative feeling in Ireland for Turkey's accession to the EU, if a staw poll of my work colleagues can be believed.

Peanut, are the riots against increasing Islamification of the country, or can it be that simple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Saw the story on Euronews yesterday and today. Apparently one protester lost an eye and another suffered a brain hemorrhage. The Police seemed to wildly over react to peoples legal right to protest over the destruction of this park. Erdogan has done a good job on the economy according to their report but has started passing contentious bills on alcohol and such like. It is supposed to be a secular republic based on Ataturks principles which is something he should remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

cml387 wrote: »
    Peanut, are the riots against increasing Islamification of the country, or can it be that simple?

I'm reading that in a lot of places (mostly Western sources), but I honestly don't think so.

I think it's a bit of a lazy interpretation that's an over-simplification of the situation, coming from a neurosis in the media for focusing on a religious vs. secular angle whenever possible.

The best article I read recently about it was from the Guardian, this one

You can understand from that that the riots mostly revolve around the figurehead of the PM and his unilateral approach to decision making and governance, e.g. on replacing the park with a shopping mall/faux-historical style re-creation (the 3d render here trying to incorporate commercial units looked terrible) -
    "They can do whatever they want," he said. "We've made our decision, and we will do as we have decided," he said.

Nice way to win friends and influence people?

Then after the initial police reaction to the protestors (and anyone else nearby), one of his mates in AKP chips in with the classic line,
    "It looks like some people needed gas."

Basically they stopped giving a shít about any kind of consensus, knowing that they have the support of the majority of the electorate. The graffiti over Istanbul this evening translates into personal insults at Erdogan, son of a bítch etc. and more colourful Turkish phrases :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

As unemployment in Europe rises, rioting will become the new passtime for a generation who see little prospect of enjoying the lifestyle their parents had - eventually, the current system will have to change in order to create employment. And yes, i know the Turkey/EU situation, I'm just pointing out that riots are going to be a big feature of the next ten years - might not be a bad thing either, you have to breeak some eggs to make an omlette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I've uploaded the photos I took this evening here - http://imgur.com/a/iDYmV#0

The police had decided to leave just shortly beforehand so this is the aftermath of some of the rioting. Also, the park has been re-occupied but I don't think anyone knows what will happen now - presumably the gov. don't either having been caught unawares at how events unfolded.

Probably ran out of gas.

Nice pics, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

Just another reason why Turkey's EU bid should not be entertained.

Occupation of Cyprus, Armenian genocide denial, excessive force used on peaceful protesters, increasing Islamization of the country, poor human rights & press freedoms, etc. shows that Turkey is nowhere near EU standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

And it's not part of the Arab World...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

brimal wrote: »
    Just another reason why Turkey's EU bid should not be entertained.

Why? Because some of the public protested?

We all have the moral right to protest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

Why? Because some of the public protested?

We all have the moral right to protest

Did you fully read my post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Don't care.

and yet you posted to subscribe to the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They should apologise to the state of Armenia before anything. It's comfortable how the world forgets what these Turks tried to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

I've been to Istanbul a few times (Wife is from there) and Taksim is a great part of the city. I can understand them wanting to protect any square inch of greenery in Istanbul, it's a serious concrete jungle.

The case of the park being turned into the shopping centre is the preverbial backbreaking straw, as the government/PM are rubbish. I have no first hand knowledge of what's going on myself, but had a long chat with a Turkish friend yesterday, he said the only updates he's getting are from facebook/twitter, as there's nothing about it on the Turkish news TV stations or websites.Corruption in this Government is ripe (incumbent government apparently got 50% of the national vote), and it's known that they hate Ataturk. Ataturk is regarded as a demigod over there.

It's definitely a step backwards culturally for them, and won't help their attempts to join the EU.

AFAIK the public are currently hoping for a military revolution, where the army essentially boot the government out of office and take over until a new bunch are voted in. Happened 3 or 4 times in Turkey since it became a republic, most recently in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

pmcmahon wrote: »

You are joking, aren't you?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They should apologise to the state of Armenia before anything. It's comfortable how the world forgets what these Turks tried to do.

Shocking how little attention it gets relative to the Nazi holocausts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Your pun was too obscure my friend. I think it went over most people's heads. Either that or they just thought it was shit.

But I appreciated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

According to Wifey there's a meeting of Turkish people in Dublin at the GPO today. Might be on the news this evening.

• Advertisement

Update today. It's colder and overcast here but that hasn't stopped tens of thousands of people coming out to the main Taksim/Istiklal street area.

The police are still nowhere to be seen in the centre, and it's mostly like a street party scene now, although the anti-Erdogan slogans and damage from the riots is everywhere. ATM machines were an especially favourite target.

A number of shops have re-opened though and there isn't any sign of trouble or looting. There's a lot of solidarity with all kinds of people cheering, chanting slogans and loudly blowing whistles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

I can think of many now respectable European countries that have a murky past if you go back 100 years. Or 70 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

That's the worst attempt at humour I've ever seen.

Update today. It's colder and overcast here but that hasn't stopped tens of thousands of people coming out to the main Taksim/Istiklal street area.

Fair play to them - I was little anxious after I found weather reports and this news on RTE: "Clashes subside in Turkey as rain dampens protests". I hope they will follow protests and the pressure will generate some positive changes to this half-democratic country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭halkar

Gweedling wrote: »
    AFAIK the public are currently hoping for a military revolution, where the army essentially boot the government out of office and take over until a new bunch are voted in. Happened 3 or 4 times in Turkey since it became a republic, most recently in the 80s.

Many of the generals of the army with the b@lls are in the jails right now. Akp took care of them long time ago.

Just back from Taksim there now. The crowds have dispersed a little but the protesters remaining are more serious and determined.

There are now organised groups of people creating makeshift roadblocks from any debris they can find. They've used bits of rubble, metal and even managed to move some of the destroyed cars and buses to block the connecting roads.

http://i.imgur.com/eBkGSbH.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/q1N6e78.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/bZBHvEA.jpg

(I tried to take photos of the other barriers but was told something in Turkish so decided to quietly back off..!)

The atmosphere is fairly ominous since the police, currently engaged in nearby Besiktas, are thought to arrive at some point during the night.

I listened to an educated Turkish guy in his 20s explain to a Jordanian tourist why he was there helping out tonight.

The tourist seemed a bit put out that his visit to Istanbul had been marred by tear-gas and destruction, and suggested that it was counter-productive to destroy ATM machines and demonstrate in such a central area.

The Turk replied that the only way of getting media attention was to protest in a symbolic place such as Taksim. Also, there are more cameras present and the risk of the police badly beating people might be less.

He described how he had been planning to go to different parties this weekend, but ended up bringing people to hospital. He thought at first that he should just get on with his studies, but then the excesses of the police response had changed his mind.

He said that at first they were using normal teargas, but now he had seen a situation where someone exposed to possibly a new type of gas had started bleeding from their nostrils.

When the Jordanian asked what he should do now, the reply was - "Go back to your hotel. They (the police) are coming."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Thanks for your on the spot reports Peanut.

Keep them up.

Thank you Peanut for your informations. Take care of yourself and hopefully let us know how situation is..

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Thanks zom and Míshásta :)

Seems like the police didn't dare try to re-take control of the square overnight, perhaps the powers that be finally realised that provoking the situation again would just further count against them. Either that or they haven't a clue what to do next..

Taksim square and the Gezi park area are jam-packed with crowds right now. There seems to be a lot more people out this evening that perhaps wouldn't have come out during the weekend. Many people are wearing face-masks now due to some enterprising street-vendors selling them at 2 for a (Turkish) fiver. There is the constant whirr of a helicopter with spotlight overhead.

There is still no sign of the Police here, at least in uniform. I walked past a police station in the center where at first it looked like it was just some guys hanging around but it turned out to be the police in plain clothes, without any of their gear visible.

The gov. seem to have been well and truly caught out this time and I can't see how they can do much except to hope that the whole thing blows over given time. But even if that is the case, people who might have given their assurances and justifications the benefit of the doubt in the past will surely not do so now.

The problem for them now is that the longer the protesters hold out, the more the gov. lose face, and being sporting losers is an entirely new concept for them. This might force a confrontation again at some stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement