Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More sequels please

• 01-06-2013 4:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

So call of duty has them.assasins creed, Grand theft auto, gran tourismo , need for speed etc
    What games do u wish had more
    For me it'd be red dead redemption ( I know undead came out but didn't like it. Don't like zombie games) and more gears of war
    What bout u?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Once Rockstar continues to make sequels of GTA i'm in. Just waiting for GTA6 Ireland and the little Islands off the coast aran Islands with the boats and fooker friendship aircraft with the gardai chasing you in the choppers and then back into cork and dublin with a serious chase-set to belfast man that would rock.

I did contact rockstar last year as to, would they do a new GTA in Ireland and they just said that it sounds interesting but it's not in their working pipe-line at the moment, damn shame.

Once they keep making GTA as a sequel then it's all good. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Half life. ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stalker :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Just re-make Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and I'd be extremely happy

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Mirror's Edge, hopefully being made at the minute.

It had its flaws but was still a great game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Less sequels please. True, gameplay mechanics can be iterated and improved upon much easier than making a sequel to a purely narrative book or film, but the amount of once great games now wrapped up in endless franchising is depressing. Things like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy should just be put out of their misery and have the resources poured into developing new ideas without the weight of expectation around them. We should be more willing to see a franchise retire peacefully, rather than die slowly in an assault of irrelevance and saturation, and be satisfied with what we did get (after all, there's probably more deeply disappointing sequels than completely satisfying ones). Not that that's ever going to happen given the financial viability of half-hearted yearly updates and the like.

Still, there are some games out there that do have potential for a revisit. Mirror's Edge is indeed a good example. The first felt like a prototype or draft - the mechanics were there, but the level design wasn't. Something like that probably deserves the opportunity to build upon the foundations established and the potential realised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Wouldn't say no to an updated Gitaroo Man.

A racing-focused Burnout game with fixed tacks and the ability to skip crash replays.

A proper sequel to 2001's Frequency - I didn't care for Amplitude, and Rock Band Blitz seems very different as well.

Jet Set Radio Future: Future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just reading about Prey 2 this morning and realizing how disappointing it will be that no one will ever get to play that game it was amazing. Arkane look to be working on the project now but they are building a new game from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I always say it but I wish Crytek would make a new Timesplitters game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Just reading about Prey 2 this morning and realizing how disappointing it will be that no one will ever get to play that game it was amazing. Arkane look to be working on the project now but they are building a new game from scratch.

Yeah, from all accounts that game was looking very promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

More new IP please. Things are getting stagnant in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I completely agree with what Johnny Ultimate said above, more original titles would be fantastic. Sure, I'd love to see another Legacy of Kain, Killer Instinct and whateverelse, but I'd much rather see some fresh ideas. It seems all I see coming to consoles is sequels- another CoD, another Fifa; and to be honest, it's tiring and uninspiring. Just look at most of the stuff we were shown at these next gen release gigs. The bulk of them were just more sequels to long running franchises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Alan Wake and Darksiders so as to complete the story.

Mirrors Edge for a revisit to the concept with some more refined level design.

Aliens: Colonial Marines. Reboot, sequel or whatever. Just do it right this time. Does that count?

Then there are some quirky games from a couple of years back that I'd love to see revisited on modern hardware, not necessarily in pure sequel form I guess. Giants: Citizen Kabuto and M.D.K being two prime examples.

Outside of those specific cases, I'm also with johnny_ultimate on preferring more original games being developed rather than focusing on safer sequels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A trilogy is about the right length for any story to be told and very often the second and third games are much better. With most games taking a min of 2 years, that ends up being 3 games in 6 years. That's fine, it's when they start franchising it in to parts 6-7 or 8 things get silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Less sequels please. True, gameplay mechanics can be iterated and improved upon much easier than making a sequel to a purely narrative book or film, but the amount of once great games now wrapped up in endless franchising is depressing. Things like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy should just be put out of their misery and have the resources poured into developing new ideas without the weight of expectation around them. We should be more willing to see a franchise retire peacefully, rather than die slowly in an assault of irrelevance and saturation, and be satisfied with what we did get (after all, there's probably more deeply disappointing sequels than completely satisfying ones). Not that that's ever going to happen given the financial viability of half-hearted yearly updates and the like.

Still, there are some games out there that do have potential for a revisit. Mirror's Edge is indeed a good example. The first felt like a prototype or draft - the mechanics were there, but the level design wasn't. Something like that probably deserves the opportunity to build upon the foundations established and the potential realised.

Resi really started losing it after 3 but ye can't say Final Fantasy was anything other than downright fantastic up until X. Even x-2 wasnt bad. They got at least 15 class games out of it (including tactics and such) When you are churning out success after success fire away at it. (a lá MGS) but some games you are right, simply don't merit sequels yet they get them anyways. Depends on the company and whether or not theres a palpable demand imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So you strongly want less sequels, but you do want sequels for games...
    A lot of new IPs come out, which had great new and fresh mechanics, but those are not safe from flows too. Sequel is always a chance to polish out shortcomings and improve new mechanics. Just because some franchises are milked to feck, does not mean sequel is a bad thing.

I want more BioShock, Stalker, Walking dead, Dead space ( proper survival horror though ), X com, Jagged alliance, diablo, StarCraft, Allice, Clive Berker's Undying, Metro, Monster hunter and list goes on and on.

Yes, we need original IPs, but a lot of good IPs deserve good sequels too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

17 post and not one mention of shenmue 3

you all make me sick :(

I'd love it if they made a Monkey Island 5. Not the Telltale ones, but an actual proper sequel, preferably in the same style as the third game. Same goes for Grim Fandango.

They really shouldn't make another Gears of War. I didn't play Judgement and, while I've heard it's good, the third one had an ending that should have wrapped up the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Vagrant Story please, although I imagine the stop/start battles would need a little re-imagining. Loved the story and lore in the game.

Don't think I'll ever get bored of the Uncharted Series. 2 was better than 3, but 3 was a great game all the same (pity about the shipyard level).

I'd love it if they made a Monkey Island 5. Not the Telltale ones, but an actual proper sequel, preferably in the same style as the third game. Same goes for Grim Fandango.

They really shouldn't make another Gears of War. I didn't play Judgement and, while I've heard it's good, the third one had an ending that should have wrapped up the series.
    But Grim Fandango had an ending that perfectly wrapped up the story too. :)

I think this is the issue with "sequels" and how people judge which games deserve them or not. Is it that folk want sequels of similar quality and style to their predecessors or ones which just attempt to continue the story or focus on the same characters. Take Dead Space for instance. Would people prefer to see Issac stuck on yet another derelict space ship with necromorphs or would they just like to see another high quality atmospheric sci-fi survival horror game?

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    But Grim Fandango had an ending that perfectly wrapped up the story too. :)

I think this is the issue with "sequels" and how people judge which games deserve them or not. Is it that folk want sequels of similar quality and style to their predecessors or ones which just attempt to continue the story or focus on the same characters. Take Dead Space for instance. Would people prefer to see Issac stuck on yet another derelict space ship with necromorphs or would they just like to see another high quality atmospheric sci-fi survival horror game?

I would like to see a sequal of dead space, with Isaac or even other character. They got a very cool awesome Universe made and it would be a shame to scrap it and make some other new space IP.
    I am not saying I would not like to see New IPs, I am saying that there is no need to bury good universes.
    Feck it, might as well scrap Starwars IP. How many sequals and spin offs we can have of that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Alan Wake and Darksiders so as to complete the story.

Mirrors Edge for a revisit to the concept with some more refined level design.

Aliens: Colonial Marines. Reboot, sequel or whatever. Just do it right this time. Does that count?

Then there are some quirky games from a couple of years back that I'd love to see revisited on modern hardware, not necessarily in pure sequel form I guess. Giants: Citizen Kabuto and M.D.K being two prime examples.

Outside of those specific cases, I'm also with johnny_ultimate on preferring more original games being developed rather than focusing on safer sequels.
    MDK 3 would be really sweet, but I think that ship has sailed :(

I would like to see a sequal of dead space, with Isaac or even other character. They got a very cool awesome Universe made and it would be a shame to scrap it and make some other new space IP.
    I am not saying I would not like to see New IPs, I am saying that there is no need to bury good universes.
    Feck it, might as well scrap Starwars IP. How many sequals and spin offs we can have of that...
    Oh no, I agree. I'm not saying they should be scrapped but in the case of Dead Space we've seen further iterations in the series yet with each one they've strayed further from what made the initial game special in the first place. I guess a more valid question in this instance is whether people would prefer to see another Dead Space which veers further from the series roots or a new IP which taps into that atmospheric survival horror gameplay the first had.

On a similar note, I'm not sure I find the Star Wars comparisons valid. That universe is so expansive that you can easily have multiple genre types (and indeed story arcs) legitimately using the licence/universe without fear of being accused of milking it. Dead Space is very much Dead Space though and we've seen via (core) fan and even some critical reaction that they didn't take too kindly to the original formula being messed with.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    MDK 3 would be really sweet, but I think that ship has sailed :(
    I guess there's always Overhaul who can continue the franchise but it'd be a fairly big risk given the rather oddball nature of the series so far. :o

Oh no, I agree. I'm not saying they should be scrapped but in the case of Dead Space we've seen further iterations in the series yet with each one they've strayed further from what made the initial game special in the first place. I guess a more valid question in this instance is whether people would prefer to see another Dead Space which veers further from the series roots or a new IP which taps into that atmospheric survival horror gameplay the first had.

On a similar note, I'm not sure I find the Star Wars comparisons valid. That universe is so expansive that you can easily have multiple genre types (and indeed story arcs) legitimately using the licence/universe without fear of being accused of milking it. Dead Space is very much Dead Space though and we've seen via (core) fan and even some critical reaction that they didn't take too kindly to the original formula being messed with.

I guess there's always Overhaul who can continue the franchise but it'd be a fairly big risk given the rather oddball nature of the series so far. :o

Aye, Starwars was thrown in more in a Sarcastic or ":pac::pac::pac:" way. Its a lot bigger universe and tone done, wheres DS universe is quite mature and gritty. I love DS universe and I would LOVE to see more of it. I would love to see Ishimuras death from some other crews member eyes. Maybe we could see some sort of prequal like those awesome Comix/videos we had ( its a shame i cant find those anymore :( ).
    I know a lot of people found DS2 a bit more actiony, but I will say that it had fantastic enviroments! The living quarters, nursery, school etc. It was not just going from engineering bay, to engine bay, to "alot of mechanical crap" bay. Damn, I would even love to get some sort of spin off, where they make game before **** hit the fan. It could be some sort of stealth game, where you try to infiltrate the "church" it self.

Bottom line is: there are some amazing universes that need sequels. And sequel is not a bad thing. Its great. Look how awesome Uncharted 2 was!

Someone reuploaded it! Found it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

An improved Alpha Protocol would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AzN

New kingdom hearts and mirror's edge and i'll be happy for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Birth of the Federation 2 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

A new Age Of Empires on the P.C?

Aye, Starwars was thrown in more in a Sarcastic or ":pac::pac::pac:" way. Its a lot bigger universe and tone done, wheres DS universe is quite mature and gritty. I love DS universe and I would LOVE to see more of it. I would love to see Ishimuras death from some other crews member eyes. Maybe we could see some sort of prequal like those awesome Comix/videos we had ( its a shame i cant find those anymore :( ).
    Did you not watch the movies? In this case, Dead Space: Downfall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

For me it would be Dark Messiah, first person fantasy games like Skyrim still haven't surpassed it's fighting mechanics
    World in Conflict just to continue the great story of the first one

Advertisement