Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help I need advice

Options
  • 01-06-2013 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Several years ago, on my return from holidays, I found that my immediate supervisor (supervisor A) had been sent to another department,on a temporary reassignment.

Being the most senior member on the team after him, I stepped up to the mark and rand the team while he was away.

After a year of this, it became obvious that supervisor A was not returning, but as it was still a temporary position, I got appointed to temporary supervisor, by manager A.

This continued for another year, with no sign of either mine or supervisor A's positions being made permanent, but manager A had been replaced by manager B. Niether had told me of any issues with my performance

Then supervisor B resigned and his job was advertised. As I was doing it in a temporary capacity for supervisor A anyway, I applied for it.

Four of us went for the position. Round 1 was conducted by manager B and I was eliminated. the only one at this stage, after doing the job for 2 years at this stage.

Round 2 was conducted by manager B's superior, with input from Manager B with supervisor C being picked.

I stepped down as temporary supervisor as I felt that since he eliminated me in the first round, manager B had put me in a difficult position, even though I was replacing supervisor A, and it was actually supervisor B that Supervisor C had replaced. That I think was probably the biggest mistake I made in this affair.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I was talking to supervisor C today and in the course of the conversation he was giving out about the job and let slip that manager B had come to him and asked him to apply for the job first day......

Does this not invalidate the whole selection process as it seems now that manager B always meant for me not to get the job by taking out supervisor C's only real competition....Me

I'm really annoyed about this and am wondering what should I do about this information.
    Can I even do anything about it at this stage as it happened over four years ago?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Very little you can do. I'd just let it be. I've rarely seen people in long term temp supervisor positions do well. I was once put in a similar situation and told my manager I was taking the position or I wasn't simple as. (This was after a suitable lead in time of about six months where I had been preparing for the role).

It wasn't a pleasant conversation; but I was respected for standing up for myself. These things are very difficult to judge. Have you moved up in the last four years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Tough one, but lots of these jobs are earmarked for someone before they even become available..

Take it on the chin and move on.. Maybe ask for feedback if its really eating you up..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Does this not invalidate the whole selection process as it seems now that manager B always meant for me not to get the job by taking out supervisor C's only real competition....Me

I'm really annoyed about this and am wondering what should I do about this information.
    Can I even do anything about it at this stage as it happened over four years ago?
    You can do nothing and I've done the same in the past and will in the future as well.

The reason I'd approach someone is because I think they are suitable (and ready) for the position but they have not applied for what ever reason or may not be aware. Hence I'll have a chat with them and say that I think they should apply and if they do great; if not so be it. Either way though no matter if I speak to the person or not all candidates have th prove that they are the most suitable during the process (and I've decided not to select persons simply because they did not perform well during the interviews even though I was quite sure they could handle it) and beat the other candidates.

Advertisement