Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco 12c Noodles

Options
  • 01-06-2013 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Are they horrible? Or would they compare to the Koka noodles (I quite like the curry flavour of Koka ones, so would the Tesco curry ones be similar?)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I know this isn't the diet and nutrition forum, but beware of calories in them! We were buying cheap noodles from Aldi, until I looked at the nutritional info on them and discovered there was over 700 calories in a single pack!

Other than that, I haven't a clue, sorry :). But at 12c a pack, I'm sure you can try them out and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

700 calories? Jaysus, that's insane!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

there are 287 calories in a 500g serving of koka noodles and 260 calories in the tesco pack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

On a thrifty shop I bought some of the Tesco normal brand instant noodles the 40cent/pack ones thinking they would compare with koka noodles. No such luck, while the noodles themselves were fine the chicken seasoning smelled dire and tasted as much.

3/10 would not eat again

So I wouldn't say the value ones are any better unfortunately. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Are they the ones that are made in China. I once found a thick dark black hair in mine once and I have brown hair. I dont Chinese factories have the strict hygiene like European ones

• Advertisement

koka noodles are made in singapore. not sure about the tesco ones

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Faith wrote: »
    I know this isn't the diet and nutrition forum, but beware of calories in them! We were buying cheap noodles from Aldi, until I looked at the nutritional info on them and discovered there was over 700 calories in a single pack!

Can't be right, surely?

Perhaps 700 kJ (about 170 Calories) per pack?

fleet wrote: »
    Can't be right, surely?

Perhaps 700 kJ (about 170 Calories) per pack?

not sure of the exact product but i think these have 260 calories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

gowley wrote: »
    not sure of the exact product but i think these have 260 calories

I think that's for what they call a serving ( half a pack) so 500 plus cals per packet. Calorie wise I don't think there much off a difference between them or any other type of noodle, all about the same. All very high in salt too.

Flavor wise as mentioned above, the cheaper ones dont taste as nice for me. Saying that I dont eat them very often so others may disagree

* sorry the above is based on the 20c aldi noodles rather than the 12c tesco noodles which Ive never tried. I think you can get 2 packets of supernoodles for a €1 in the bargain shops if your looking to save OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I would rather eat someone elses toenails. 12c worth of nutritionally dead noodles with a sachet of MSG doesn't sound very appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think that's for what they call a serving ( half a pack) so 500 plus cals per packet.

Yep, the Aldi ones specifically quoted a 'serving', which turned out to be half a packet.

Edit: it's actually 600 calories per pack http://mobile.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/aldi/instant-noodles/1-2-packet. Still a huge amount for what it is - a snack for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

Thanks for all the replies. I don't really eat noodles all that often, was just wondering as I just saw that the el cheap-o Tesco ones can be bought in Ireland. I thought that you could only get them in the UK.

I shall let ye know if I buy them how yummy or not they turn out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

They are pretty horrible tbh.

However I have used them when making homemade chicken noodle soup, I think that's their best use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The trick is to ditch the cheapo flavourings, go down the local Asian supermarket and stock up on sauces & powders and add your own.
    gowley wrote: »
    there are 287 calories in a 500g serving of koka noodles and 260 calories in the tesco pack
    As Faith said this is probably half packs.
    rubadub wrote: »
    A lad in work was telling my he was on a diet and "watching what he ate", I would see him sit down to a 1000+kcal lunch, a full pack of noodles as a side dish, convinced he was eating better than before.

I saw loads of noodles in my sisters kitchen once, again she said she was "dieting", and gave them all to me when she saw the caloires!

Batchelors supernoodles the full pack is 536kcal, and 12grams sat fat. 10.5WW points in a full pack of Bacon supernoodles.

They quote a half pack, I have never eaten a half pack, I used to eat 2 at a time!

536kcal is more than most microwave ready meals. A big mac is only 490kcal.

There are very low calorie noodles out now, but they are very expensive.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056591038

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

hfallada wrote: »
    Are they the ones that are made in China. I once found a thick dark black hair in mine once and I have brown hair. I dont Chinese factories have the strict hygiene like European ones

Horsemeat in beef burgers :rolleyes: :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The Aldi noodles are wrote off. Got the curry ones and the seasoning is like a dark ash kinda colour(and taste).

Nothing compares to Koka really, might do as the other poster said. Get the cheap 12c ones and get your own sauces/powders.

Advertisement