Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birdies

Options
  • 01-06-2013 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey folks,new to this so please bear with me!
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea whats happened to the 3 buzzards that were flying around the Glen? Vanished a few weeks ago. A few gone from Kilcoole too. Any ideas?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

id say with the warm weather that has come in recently they're off hunting,
    they fly and hunt in warm air using less effort so they end up travelling further than normal

• Registered Users Posts: 9 babser doyle

oh thanks maybe thats it. Hope it is!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

They're still about. Saw them last week and one around farankelly on thursday.

ok thanks everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

There was a very large bird circling above our house in charlesland wood this afternoon. By the time i got my canera ready it had gone. Dont know what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Jimjay wrote: »
    There was a very large bird circling above our house in charlesland wood this afternoon. By the time i got my canera ready it had gone. Dont know what it was.

Kites have been seen recently.by myself over charlesland..they hang around the top of the farankelly road alot.white under the wings is a give away.buzzards also reported around..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Jimjay wrote: »

probs a buzzard,often seen close to Charlesland,above the field on the left (coming from charlesland)before the Gogym roundabout,good little hunting ground it seems.

probs a buzzard,often seen close to Charlesland,above the field on the left (coming from charlesland)before the Gogym roundabout,good little hunting ground it seems.
    Saw him fly across the road one day swinging a rat from his talons. Incidentally I saw a bar owl over that same piece of scrub.

thats geat news.Think I saw one myself this morning in the Glen. I'm nearly sure it was one. I'm glad they haven't gone away:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

thats geat news.Think I saw one myself this morning in the Glen. I'm nearly sure it was one. I'm glad they haven't gone away:cool:

The kite was directly over the main green in charlesland today lunch time getting divebombed by crows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 rik 0 shay

Im new[ probably more shiny than bright]
    I have been watching a pair of Buzzards in Windgates but they also have vanished in the last month. I worry as through ignorance in this country, we have a habit of shooting or poisoning anything that moves!
    We could learn a lot from our nearest neighbours who cherish there enviroment much more than we do.
    Its lovely to find people who do care!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Are you refering to our neighbours across the Irish sea?
    Nuclear power station has been leaking radioactive waste - Daily Mail
    Enough said.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

rik 0 shay wrote: »
    Im new[ probably more shiny than bright]
    I have been watching a pair of Buzzards in Windgates but they also have vanished in the last month. I worry as through ignorance in this country, we have a habit of shooting or poisoning anything that moves!
    We could learn a lot from our nearest neighbours who cherish there enviroment much more than we do.
    Its lovely to find people who do care!

Don't worry, in my experience they always return and in some cases with a youngster or two in tow..:)

I worry as through ignorance in this country, we have a habit of shooting or poisoning anything that moves!
    !
    Would concur with that view. Yes as you say they are lying low. One may be on the nest. Saw one at Newtown exit yesterday and a pair over charlesland last week. They were very active whilst courting. That is normal. I know one was hit by a car near Bray last winter which is a shame however at least around here, I dont think any have met any deliberate harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

The Wexford lads love the birds alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

There's a lone Gannet I see cruising and occasionally diving off the South Beach. Wonder where it 'roosts' as I'm not aware of any local colony's in the area. Think Irelands Eye has a colony - perhaps there.

Yep, we get them here all the time especially when the water warms up. The Greystones birds seem to come from the south and are therefore birds ex gt Saltee. I think we'll see them on Bray head before long.

I see Gannets off bray head regularly. Was watching a pair diving on Sunday.
    I used to go to Irelands Eye as a kid. Can you still go there or have health and safety done for that as well? Any info appreciated.

AFAIK no problem. Boats from Howth. Dalkey island also and Saltee if you go south is no problem.Gt Saltee well worth doing.

Hey folks,new to this so please bear with me!
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea whats happened to the 3 buzzards that were flying around the Glen? Vanished a few weeks ago. A few gone from Kilcoole too. Any ideas?:)
    Your three Buzzards were over Kilmac this morning at 10am

• Advertisement

I know its great to see them back! They used to be here every day and hover around the tops of the trees for hours. Now I see them maybe every second day so they're obviously very busy this weather! :D

Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled

Spotted a buzzard yesterday on Cooligad Hill [Kindlestown Wood] so thats good news.
    Im facinated by the Barn Owl sighting! Ive never seen one in the wild.
    Hope it wasnt nesting in the old mill at Killencarrig as the powers that be removed all the ivy from it right in the middle of the nesting season!
    How sad!
    love to know where I could see a Barn Owl locally?
    Nice to know that there are people who care! Thanks!:)

Thanks for the information! I knew about the Saltees.Irelands eye and Dalkey Island would be lovely. Fancy a row?
    Thanks!

Barn owls are probably the easier of our nocturnal owls to see. Being white and active late evening or dusk. I wouldn't like the task of finding one as they are just such a chance sighting. That area of scrub around Globogym is a good spot as it has its share of rodents and there are many suitable buildings nearby. Maybe take a few walks up there these long evenings.

Ive seen Long eared owls in Newcastle nature reserve. They fly during the day quiet often. The release programme for Barn Owls is a well kept secret for obvious reasons.
    Its possible to put up nesting boxes in woodland for them. I would be happy to get involved in that.
    They are such beautiful creatures and were nearly hunted to extinction in times past as they were assoiated evil.
    Thanks your for your advice! Ill go looking over there.

Barn owls are probably the easier of our nocturnal owls to see. Being white and active late evening or dusk. I wouldn't like the task of finding one as they are just such a chance sighting. That area of scrub around Globogym is a good spot as it has its share of rodents and there are many suitable buildings nearby. Maybe take a few walks up there these long evenings.
    ive called in a cpl of barn owls while on fox control at night over the years,one night i nearly had to get a second pair of jocks,we were scanning the lamp and using a rodent caller when this pure white owl appeared from behind us flew just over our heads and hovered about 8 feet in font of us and about 4 feet off the ground,

Ive seen Long eared owls in Newcastle nature reserve. They fly during the day quiet often. The release programme for Barn Owls is a well kept secret for obvious reasons.
    Its possible to put up nesting boxes in woodland for them. I would be happy to get involved in that.
    They are such beautiful creatures and were nearly hunted to extinction in times past as they were assoiated evil.
    Thanks your for your advice! Ill go looking over there.
    You sure about that Rick? Short ear is your more diurnal bird. Winters every year in Newcastle . Biggish owl usually low to ground. There are long ears there but they are very nocturnal
    Didn't know there was an owl programme
    The real reason for decline is habitat and secondary poison. Even the silliest farmers have regard for them as rat controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

.243 wrote: »
    ive called in a cpl of barn owls while on fox control at night over the years,one night i nearly had to get a second pair of jocks,we were scanning the lamp and using a rodent caller when this pure white owl appeared from behind us flew just over our heads and hovered about 8 feet in font of us and about 4 feet off the ground,
    Shooting foxes, now that is something I really don't agree with. Barbaric. And before you start they take damn all lambs.

FirstIn wrote: »
    Shooting foxes, now that is something I really don't agree with. Barbaric. And before you start they take damn all lambs.

Not a hunter myself but they are out of control, pretty destructive and need to be culled. It's not lambs. One fox could pretty well wipe out the Kilcoole ternary in a couple of nights. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing them but they were never meant to live in the densities that they do.

• Advertisement

FirstIn wrote: »
    if you dont agree with it thats your opinion,
    but if you are going to come to that conclusion please edcucate yourself with ALL the facts on the subject,
    what i do is painless and instant,
    what other guys do with chasing them with dogs running them into the ground and digging them out is barbaric,(know the differences)
    ill give you a little test,
    what i do is in second place to the amount of foxes that are killed in this country,
    whats in first place ????
    answer that correctly and i might give you a liitle more credit,than to your your first response

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement