Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birdies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

It is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Foxes take damn all lambs (actually it's the birdies that do more damage).
    As for the terns, the ones that nest on the beach. That is very much an exception.

This country has lots of rednecks shooting foxes, having convinced themselves that they're doing some good. What a joke.

It's barbaric. It's not pest control. It's a horrible perverse way to get ones kicks. So to are lots of the other so called country activities, hare coursing, badger baiting etc. Backward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

FirstIn wrote: »
    It is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Foxes take damn all lambs (actually it's the birdies that do more damage).
    As for the terns, the ones that nest on the beach. That is very much an exception.

This country has lots of rednecks shooting foxes, having convinced themselves that they're doing some good. What a joke.

It's barbaric. It's not pest control. It's a horrible perverse way to get ones kicks. So to are lots of the other so called country activities, hare coursing, badger baiting etc. Backward.
    ignorance is bliss !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

But nobody mentioned lambs. You did! There is a hunting forum. I don't know if theres an anti hunting one? Facts speak for themselves. There are many foxes in Greystones and every other town and townland in Ireland. There are no hares between here and Bray head or sugarloaf for example. Not even in the Kilcoole reserve. rabbits are scarce as are most large ground nesting birds outside of the reserve. Some balance needs to exist. Shooting is probably the most effective way to control foxes humanely. It has nothing to do with torturing animals a la badger baiting. Poison (the other option) has many side effects on the foodchain. Badger, Buzzards, kites, eagles have all been affected by this.
    We would all love a world where everything and everyone got on and ate lentils but it's simply not practical. Conservation is not an emotive subject. Sometimes hard decisions need to be made to address imbalances.
    As i said, I don't shoot or hunt but have found that in my experience most shooters love wildlife and enjoy being amongst it and most understand balance.
    I'm peed off with myself now for getting drawn into this.

What rubbish. The damage foxes do pales in to insignificance compared to modern farming practices.
    Rabbits? I find it very hard to believe there's a declining number of them. Unless of course the myxomatosis is still working well. And if we weren't running about shooting all the foxes they (nature) would have kept the rabbit numbers in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rik 0 shay

I do think we need balance. I havent seen a fox in Greystones for the past 3 years. I think native species should be preserved. Magpies are a non native species and kill so many of our native birds.They were introduced by the victorians and should be exterminated. Also the American mink which has destroyed so much native wildlive.The Dodder river is now barren because of their predation and of course the Grey squirrel which has all but wiped out our native Reds.
    Trouble is, where do you draw the line? its difficult and I do no many people who shoot and do love wildlife.
    As long as people are prepared to debate it, it means that we are aware and thats a good thing!

• Advertisement

rik 0 shay wrote: »
    I do think we need balance. I havent seen a fox in Greystones for the past 3 years. I think native species should be preserved. mink which has destroyed so much native wildlife.The Dodder river is now barren because of their predation and of course the Grey squirrel which has all but wiped out our native Reds.
    Trouble is, where do you draw the line? its difficult and I do no many people who shoot and do love wildlife.
    As long as people are prepared to debate it, it means that we are aware and thats a good thing!
    Theres an earth at the top of Farrenkelly road where it joins the n11 north. Theres heaps about. I've even seen them in the village in daylight. Magpies arrived in Ireland about 1676 as an invasive species due to population explosion. A bit like the collared dove did in the sixties. So not introduced.It is a problem though and I'd support a cull. Mink are a nuisance but the Dodder is far from barren. It now has a salmon and sea trout run, otters, kingfishers, dippers to name a few. Red squirrels are making quite a comeback as have Pine martens. there is growing evidence that the Martens are eating the greys and preventing the same invasion that britain has had. Reds are quite plentiful in Wicklow. mink are an ecological disaster and need to be exterminated no question. the last 50 years has seen an explosion in fox numbers as they adapted well to modern urbanisation. Wheely bins have halted them a bit but there are still far too many of them. There are some noteable exceptions but in general, wildlife in around Dublin/Wicklow is doing better now than when I was growing up. Have a look at the blackboard the lads have drawn up down at the ternery. Theres lots of stuff around.

What rubbish. The damage foxes do pales in to insignificance compared to modern farming practices.
    do you come from a farming background ?

Theres an earth at the top of Farrenkelly road where it joins the n11 north.
    if its the one on the upper side of the bridge under the gorse you mention,its actually a badgers set (a good indication of badgers is rubbish wrappers and heaped mound outside the earth,they like to refresh their sleeping quarters regulary,to where a fox will just bring the food itself)

Yep, they co habitate sometimes and have seen foxes just outside but never the badgers. But yes, it looks like a Sett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Yep, they co habitate sometimes and have seen foxes just outside but never the badgers. But yes, it looks like a Sett
    Theres a huge set in the fields on the right at the top of fk road..not the ones ye are on about..ive fed a fox up there too.(sorry)and i found a set in the la touche woods..magpies.mink and cats do the most damage i.m.o

• Advertisement

Maudi wrote: »
    ive fed a fox up there too.(sorry)
    you seem to mean well maudi by feeding them,but its dangerous

Very dangerous , especially when .321 and his pals are sneaking about trying to shoot them. Innocent people have been mistakenly shot by these countryside heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

.243 wrote: »
    you seem to mean well maudi by feeding them,but its dangerous

How do you mean dangerous?getting to brave etc.

Theres a huge set in the fields on the right at the top of fk road..not the ones ye are on about..ive fed a fox up there too.(sorry)and i found a set in the la touche woods..magpies.mink and cats do the most damage i.m.o
    No need to apologise for liking animals. We all do. I like to watch lambs. And they are also nice with gravy and mint sauce. I agree re all those pests. Mink are just killing machines and feral/non native. i remember after that kid was mauled by a fox in hackney, there was a report on the numbers killed over the next few nights by hunters in the neighbouring gardens. the numbers would surprise you. Foxes exist in staggering densities sometimes but it's not obvious during the day. Like the mink, they lack that switch off/overkill button. When they get into a henhouse or bird colony....carnage. They have a place, are beautiful creatures but need control. Thats all.

Very dangerous , especially when .321 and his pals are sneaking about trying to shoot them. Innocent people have been mistakenly shot by these countryside heroes.
    You still haven't answered my previous question i put to you,
    And the above justs shows how little you know about the countryside life,

How do you mean dangerous?getting to brave etc.
    In a way yes,they get used to humans and then associate humans=food,
    It has happened where people feeding foxes over time try to feed them off hand,
    They are an opportunist hunter and will snatch and run given the chance to take food, normally its a hand thats holding back the food
    Next thing its off to A&E
    The intentions may be genuine but nature sees what it sees differently

"what i do is painless and instant," So you manage a clean kill every time? , bs. Some of the foxes you shoot run away to die a slow painful death from the wounds you inflict.
    Some of the foxes you shoot have cubs that are then left to starve and die.

What you do Mr .321 is barbaric and cruel. Yes , we see plenty of foxes killed on the road, but that is not intentional. What you do is very intentional.

"what i do is painless and instant," So you manage a clean kill every time? , bs. Some of the foxes you shoot run away to die a slow painful death from the wounds you inflict.
    Some of the foxes you shoot have cubs that are then left to starve and die.
    And you know this how ????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Right guys, this has gone somewhat off topic now and to be honest the whole thread belongs in the Nature & Bird Watching forum anyway.

Nature & Bird Watching

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement