Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start - so confused!

Options
  • 01-06-2013 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Basically I am a self-employed professional who provides a service. For the last number of years I have been renting a space, I file annual tax returns and pay rent.

Recently, I have been offered a much larger space with a few sub-contained spaces.

What I would like to do is contract other professionals who work in my area offering similar services (but ones which I am not qualified to provide) to sub-rent the extra rooms.

However, even though I have plenty of interested people, I would like to give the entire place (sub-spaces included) one business name but I don't know how to go about this. I was worried that if I registered a Business Name at the address then I would have to form a company and I don't want that.

What would you suggest...I can provide further details if required.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Registering a business name at the address is separate to incorporating a limited company at the address. It's up to yourself which route you go down, but if just registering a business name, you are a sole trader and have unlimited liability. The fact that you are looking to sub-let and have others operating under your business name, would make me think that a sole trader setup isn't for you.

Why don't you want to form a limited company?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

A friend of mine has a similar type of set up. He owns a business name eg "food central" or "p c repairs hub". He rents the office in the business (company) umbrella name but then rents out the desk space to others. All of them, including himself, are self employed. All add value to the overall business name and work as a unit within the brand. They are free to form their own business and can come and go as they please as long as the work gets done. There is also a type of board room table in a seperate area for team meetings and brain storming.

Its working very well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You can call the building/ office suite anything you like. It does not have to be a registered business name , it is an address name ... Ballygobackward House or The Geek Building of if you are mad. St Luke's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

ImDave wrote: »
    Registering a business name at the address is separate to incorporating a limited company at the address. It's up to yourself which route you go down, but if just registering a business name, you are a sole trader and have unlimited liability. The fact that you are looking to sub-let and have others operating under your business name, would make me think that a sole trader setup isn't for you.

Why don't you want to form a limited company?

I've since figures out that I can register a business name without registering as a company. I don't want to register as a company because I want to be the sole owner, I don't want directors, shareholders or employers and I don't want to have to file accounts with the CRO each year.

Do you think my above situation is possible even if it may not be ideal?

Also, to give slightly more info, my ideal senatio is to rent out the sub-spaces and charge commission on the services provided by the people who rent the spaces from me. Is this legal or has it got a business term - I thought it was called sub-contracting but I see now that in business terms that phrase relates to meat processing and construction.

I know what I want to do but I don't know how to do it or if it's even possible. Thanks for your help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

I've since figures out that I can register a business name without registering as a company. I don't want to register as a company because I want to be the sole owner, I don't want directors, shareholders or employers and I don't want to have to file accounts with the CRO each year.

Do you think my above situation is possible even if it may not be ideal?

Also, to give slightly more info, my ideal senatio is to rent out the sub-spaces and charge commission on the services provided by the people who rent the spaces from me. Is this legal or has it got a business term - I thought it was called sub-contracting but I see now that in business terms that phrase relates to meat processing and construction.

I know what I want to do but I don't know how to do it or if it's even possible. Thanks for your help so far.

Using phone, apologies for brutal spelling (predicted text) and can't edit either. I meant employees rather than employers above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement