Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discounted Theatre Tickets

Options
  • 01-06-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there's anything similar in Dublin, to the half price ticket booth in Leicester Square, which offers discounted, unsold theatre tickets for that evening's shows.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Absolutely not. Bizarrely Irish theatres prefer to run shows half empty than fill the seats. Don't do day tickets either like they do in London/NY (limited number of discounted seats for that day available to people queueing at the theatre).

It's worth following the theatres on FB/Twitter as they sometimes post specials. The daily deal websites occasionally offer theatre discounts also, I find Rewarding Times, the Irish Times deal site, to offer the most theatre discounts, though once every few months at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll definitely follow them up.

Asked if they did stand-bys at The Gate ticket office this afternoon and they looked at me like I'd just asked them to pose naked at the foot of The Spire.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

I've only ever heard of this during the theatre festival. I guess some of the smaller independent theatres might be open to offers but the major theatres don't seem to do it.

I suppose your best bet would be to follow them on twitter and keep an eye out for any offers.

It's a damn shame most cultural places don't do it. I've been to the NCH a few times this year cos a mate works there and they needed bums on seats. The place may have been a 1/4 full at best. Surely it makes sense to offer half price tickets on the day knowing people going will have a drink or two once there?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Max001 wrote: »
    Asked if they did stand-bys at The Gate ticket office this afternoon and they looked at me like I'd just asked them to pose naked at the foot of The Spire.
    :rolleyes:

Crazy isn't it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

amdublin wrote: »
    Crazy isn't it

Dublin has too much of a small audience. If they did cheap prices for unsold tickets they would never sell anything until the night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Max001 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's anything similar in Dublin, to the half price ticket booth in Leicester Square, which offers discounted, unsold theatre tickets for that evening's shows.

Cheers :)

Usually shows will have discounted tickets for the first few days before the official 'Opening Night', sometimes for up to a week before the show officially opens. Obviously you'd have to keep on top of what is coming up and what you want to see. Also places like Project Arts Centre sometimes do a specific cheap night, maybe a MOnday but it varies from show to show. Saturday matinees in Abbey and the Gate are less expensive than evening shows.

Of all the theatres in Dublin, I think the Gate is one of, if not the most expensive and the least likely to give any discounted rates or special offers unfortunately. I rarely go unless there is something I really want to see or a friend has a spare ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The Gate is a very small theatre compared to the likes of the Abbey or the Gaiety. It's shows would sell out far quicker and far easier than those in other theatres. I don't think I've ever been to a play or show there that wasn't full, so its not surprising really that their shows are not discounted or put on special offer all that often, if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Not much difference in size between the Abbey and the Gate about 120 seats, Gaiety 4/5 times bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

nudger wrote: »
    Not much difference in size between the Abbey and the Gate about 120 seats, Gaiety 4/5 times bigger.

A quick google search begs to differ - Abbey 492 Gate 317 so 50% bigger.

The Abbey sometimes do two for the price of one tickets, particularly on shows that aren't selling well, but I think as pointed out if it becomes a regular occurrence people just won't buy in advance and take a chance.

Keep an eye on www.toutless.com it's not just for gigs, plays and ballet tickets often come up there, sometimes you'll be able to pick up tickets for less than face value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

A quick google search begs to differ - Abbey 492 Gate 317 so 50% bigger.

The Abbey sometimes do two for the price of one tickets, particularly on shows that aren't selling well, but I think as pointed out if it becomes a regular occurrence people just won't buy in advance and take a chance.

Keep an eye on www.toutless.com it's not just for gigs, plays and ballet tickets often come up there, sometimes you'll be able to pick up tickets for less than face value.

Do your Google search again, 371 Gate and 492 Abbey =121.

Advertisement