Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I safely delete the 'SaveAs' program? (Win XP)

Options
  • 01-06-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Howdy

Trying to free up some disk space on my trusty 'aul Latitude D620 - nearly 8 years and she's still motoring :)

Did a bit of research into it and it seems mostly related to dealing with long file extensions for use with Autocad?? Or something...

I certainly don't use Autocad and I'm unlikely to unless I get an honorary degree in Architecture / Engineering?

Windows tells me I 'rarely' use it. However I did use it in December of last year - which is reasonably recent obviously. That set off some alarm bells so I'm wondering what the implications of deleting it would be?

It takes up a whopping 10 gigs...oh to be able to free that up!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So it's a program called 'save as'? This hasn't anything to do with the save as option you get in some programs. As long as it's not a system file or core program or anything, go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Howdy

Trying to free up some disk space on my trusty 'aul Latitude D620 - nearly 8 years and she's still motoring :)

Did a bit of research into it and it seems mostly related to dealing with long file extensions for use with Autocad?? Or something...

I certainly don't use Autocad and I'm unlikely to unless I get an honorary degree in Architecture / Engineering?

Windows tells me I 'rarely' use it. However I did use it in December of last year - which is reasonably recent obviously. That set off some alarm bells so I'm wondering what the implications of deleting it would be?

It takes up a whopping 10 gigs...oh to be able to free that up!

Thanks in advance.

I'm a little confused by your post, but if its an Autocad file and you dont use Autocad, delete away. What is the actual name of the file you're talking about? Maybe post a screenshot for us so we can be sure its not an important file?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

@5uspect yes its called 'SaveAs' - to be honest I'm just sure about is being something important like you say...

@PropJoe10 screenshot attached (hopefully)

Hope that helps

saveasp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That disk space indication is almost certainly wrong. An installer can write what it wants to in that field.

Use something like TreeSize to find out where disk space is actually being used and don't trust figures in Add/Remove Programs.

@5uspect yes its called 'SaveAs' - to be honest I'm just sure about is being something important like you say...

@PropJoe10 screenshot attached (hopefully)

Hope that helps

saveasp.jpg

Hmm. To be honest, I'm not sure what that is exactly. I did a quick Google on it and all I could find was a program called SaveAs that tracks your internet usage - its a piece of adware. As the last poster said, i wouldnt necessarily go by the disk space indicator there - it can often be wrong. I would think you'd be safe enough to remove that, but it probably wont free up as much disk space as you think it might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

OK so I had a look at the program files via TreeSize - and it turns out it only takes up 0.7MB !

And in a cruel twist of irony this is about 3MB less than the size of TreeSize :)

Worth installing though obviously.

Thanks for your help - how in the name of jaysus does Windows come up with those file sizes??

edit: I gather its the installer that gives those filesizes...

OK so I had a look at the program files via TreeSize - and it turns out it only takes up 0.7MB !

And in a cruel twist of irony this is about 3MB less than the size of TreeSize :)

Worth installing though obviously.

Thanks for your help - how in the name of jaysus does Windows come up with those file sizes??

edit: I gather its the installer that gives those filesizes...

Yep, its a sure sign of the person who wrote the program acting the bo**ix. Just in case you havent got it installed, and want to free up some disk space, try CCleaner. It'll clear the cache, temporary internet files etc, and should free up some space. I ran it on an old PC i have at home a while back, and it freed up around 3GB of space. Just be aware it also empties the Recycle Bin, so make sure there's nothing in there that you deleted by mistake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you try CCleaner, leave in the most recent SystemRestore point. The rest can go, you'll prob freea few GB just on that.

Advertisement