Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self-funding postgrads

Options
  • 01-06-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

When i tried to discuss with my supervisor the matter of working, she laughed and said it was impossible that i would ever be able to do that.

So, self-funding people, how and what are you doing to pay for fees and living?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

missdisco wrote: »
    When i tried to discuss with my supervisor the matter of working, she laughed and said it was impossible that i would ever be able to do that.

So, self-funding people, how and what are you doing to pay for fees and living?
    Really depends in what postgraduate course you're doing to be honest. I did a self funded thought masters last year in science. I was able to work weekends while I was doing it. But no way in hell would I be able to do it with a PhD in the area. There's not enough hours in the day to get the research done and work part time

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I'm doing an MSc in Marketing full time and worked 20 hours a week throughout semester 1 and 2 to help pay back my loan. It was very tough, especially because I'm aiming for a first. But I live at home so only pay my parents a very small amount of money each week.

At the moment I'm doing about 25 hours a week in work because of people taking time off for holidays. It's crap because I have little time for anything else and my dissertation is stressing me out a lot at the moment, which doesn't help. But I have to work, I need the money to pay back my loan. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

It really depends on the course you're doing, amount of hours and your aim (1.1 etc.).

I've just after finishing my postgrad, I didn't work myself but I had a few friends who worked. One worked around 4 nights a week and found it though. Anything more than 20 hours would be pushing it. The University and our course coordinator recommended no more than 16 hours as well.

Advertisement