Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone fiber

• 01-06-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

So i got connected up yesterday, i was getting about 26mb download and 12 upload (wireless) on 70mb package tried it later on and got slower 6mb down 12 up crazy. This morning was about same speed so googled it and then changed coupleof things on the router page changed channel number got it back to 24mb download and 12 upload, then i plued Ethernet cable in and was getting 50mb download and 9mb upload.
    I rang vodafone tech while ago was told wireless is always slower and that in evenings with other people using the internet that it will slow down i thought that this fiber broadband wouldn't slow any time or is every person in the country using my wireless router? Tech person told me she has 150mb upc and wireless only gets 20mb this to me sounds bit isnt wireless suppose to be as fast if not faster its only sending signal around to my devices how can it slow down in evening because of other people using the internet.
    Surely i wouldn't be losing half my speed just using wireless? any help on matter would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

It's true, you do loose alot of speed over wireless, im on upc 150mb too and the max i can get on wireless with wireless N is about 35-40mb. wireless speed tests cannot be trusted, they are never going to show the max speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

think of wireless as sound. 2 people in a room can talk very easily. add a load more people and its alot harder to hear each other. the amount of things that can affect a wireless signal is surprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Surely i wouldn't be losing half my speed just using wireless? any help on matter would be great.

Yes you will "lose" most of the speed if you use wifi especially G type wifi it could go as low as 10Mbs or even lower...(I get 3/3, properly measured a lot of the time on wifi)

Depends on a number of factors...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kodi

That's what I was afraid- Vodafone is selling fast pipe to the local exchange and cannot cope with traffic. I don't care if half the country is watching Youtube atm, in the evenings I would like to sit down, and watch something without waiting 5 minutes to buffer 3 minute clip. Can anyone with Eircom or Magnet "fibre" confirm the observings?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

kodi wrote: »
    That's what I was afraid- Vodafone is selling fast pipe to the local exchange and cannot cope with traffic.

where did you get that from?
    then i plued Ethernet cable in and was getting 50mb download and 9mb upload.

speed was fine with the cable connection, there is no issue with the vodafone network

• Advertisement

kodi wrote: »
    That's what I was afraid- Vodafone is selling fast pipe to the local exchange and cannot cope with traffic.

Eh what? Voda have nothing to do with wifi...

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Had 8mb before this was getting 6mb down through wired and wireless so didn't have any loss there so can't understand the drastic loss that I have now, ever thing in house was off when I was checking speedtest only me and laptop. Thought we had a new age of superfast broadband but obviously it wil depend if ur the last man on earth and U don't stick on the kettle in case it interferes with wireless connection

Had 8mb before this was getting 6mb down through wired and wireless so didn't have any loss there so can't understand the drastic loss that I have now,

Maybe your neighbours got a wifi router recently too..who knows. You can find out easily enough if they are on the same channels as you or you could go N wireless if your laptop can handle it.

Once you get full speed wired then there's nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Can see what router they have and went through all the channels some were worse down to 6mb download but fastest was still 25 next door is with eircom and is due to upgrade 10 of this month so will be going in for a look when they get set up tried it late last nite next doors router off no change in speed

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kodi

Baneblade wrote: »
    where did you get that from?
    speed was fine with the cable connection, there is no issue with the vodafone network

"I rang vodafone tech while ago was told (...) that in evenings with other people using the internet that it will slow down"
    bealtine wrote: »
    Eh what? Voda have nothing to do with wifi...
    I know Vodafone has nothing to do with WiFi, OTOH on 5GHz same room I'm getting easily 200Mbps+ to my NAS via WiFi. The issue is - currently I have "up to 24Mbps" which is connected at 9.2Mbs and in the evenings max download speed even from Vodafone test server goes down to 1-2Mbps. I live about 100m from the green box, and easily in the VDSL max speed range. But when I was calling Voda tech support I got exactly the same answer as the OP - "in the evening more people are using Internet, so it's slower", even when they claiming there is no bandwidth sharing any more on one of their marketing campaigns. So I'm just wondering if I switch to Voda's fibre offer I will have perfect ping to the nearest exchange and then again 1-2Mbps in the evenings, because "more people are using Internet".

OPs problem source can be one of the following:

a) noise
    b) interference from other sources (another N router 100m from you that will just barely interfere can cause significant speed drop)
    c) <n device in the vicinity (if the a/b/g support is not turned off)
    d) crappy router that has not enough processing power to crypto the traffic and route it (easily to check - if your ETH cable speeds are ok, try to disable encryption temporarily on the best channel available and see if it will increase the speed)
    e) poor sensitivity

• Advertisement
Advertisement