Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Geography Sample Answers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Would anybody have a river rhine essay please?

I remember doing that last year, I will have a look to see if I still have it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

anybody use the book exam skills by sue Honan , got very good sample answers

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

Anyone got any sample answers for culture & identity?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

sample answer on isotasy??PLEASE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    sample answer on isotasy??PLEASE

It has already been posted in thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Anyone have a good Geothermal Energy as a Human Interaction with the Rock Cycle answer with negative aspects too?

Oh and an answer on the karst landscape of the Burren! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 leavingcert_13

Hi guys!
    Does anyone know of what may come up in the geoecology section? and any tips on regions ? struggling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

Hi guys!
    Does anyone know of what may come up in the geoecology section? and any tips on regions ? struggling!!

Characteristics of a brown earth soil :)

Hi guys!

What most people are saying
    characteristics of a biome
    human impact on a biome.
    for soils characteristics of brown earth soils
    and formation processes of soils.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    What most people are saying
    characteristics of a biome
    human impact on a biome.
    for soils characteristics of brown earth soils
    and formation processes of soils.

The chances of human impact on a biome being the only biome essay again are low, aren't they? I really hope it doesn't come up :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Any brown earth soil essays?

EvM wrote: »
    The chances of human impact on a biome being the only biome essay again are low, aren't they? I really hope it doesn't come up :P.

There supposed to be 2 biomes, 1 soil question this year so you should be fine :)

peekachoo wrote: »
    Any brown earth soil essays?

I have one but not with me at the moment :/ it's pretty easy to get srps in I will try and have it by tonight if possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mundungus portfolio

meleanor wrote: »
    Anyone have a good Geothermal Energy as a Human Interaction with the Rock Cycle answer with negative aspects too?

Oh and an answer on the karst landscape of the Burren! :)

The Irish landscape development I have studied is the limestone pavement in the Burren, Co. Clare.

The landscape is formed by carbonation i.e. rainwater absorbs carbon dioxide to form carbonic acid. This reacts with calcium carbonate to become calcium bicarbonate. It is then carried away by solution. The carbonation of the limestone produced a landscape of pavements, terraced hills and dry valleys.

Limestone pavement has exposed flat rock composed of clints and grikes. The grikes (fissures) are widened by carbonation and range from 3-6cm width and 2m depth. Soil deposits in the grikes are a life source for vegetation including hazel and ash. The clints are marked by depressions called karren. These are weak points dissolved quickly by the carbonic acid. Water gets held in the hollows which speed up carbonation.

In the valley of Ballyvaughan there is a river that disappears into a swallow hole to form a dry valley. They form where rainwater flows from impermeable shale onto limestone which is permeable.

Underground, the bedding planes are enlarged and passageways are formed through the limestone rock. Corrasion and carbonation enlarge the channels to form caves and caverns. e.g. Ailwee.

Calcite rich water seeps through the fissures in the cave roofs. The water reacts with the air so it evaporates. Deposits of this can be found on the roof and these are called stalactites. It may also form on the cave floor and these are known as stalagmites.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shanel262

Would you have any essays on characteristics of a biome please?

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    There supposed to be 2 biomes, 1 soil question this year so you should be fine :)

Oh that would be fantastic, then I wouldn't have to touch soils either ^^.

The Irish landscape development I have studied is the limestone pavement in the Burren, Co. Clare.

The landscape is formed by carbonation i.e. rainwater absorbs carbon dioxide to form carbonic acid. This reacts with calcium carbonate to become calcium bicarbonate. It is then carried away by solution. The carbonation of the limestone produced a landscape of pavements, terraced hills and dry valleys.

Limestone pavement has exposed flat rock composed of clints and grikes. The grikes (fissures) are widened by carbonation and range from 3-6cm width and 2m depth. Soil deposits in the grikes are a life source for vegetation including hazel and ash. The clints are marked by depressions called karren. These are weak points dissolved quickly by the carbonic acid. Water gets held in the hollows which speed up carbonation.

In the valley of Ballyvaughan there is a river that disappears into a swallow hole to form a dry valley. They form where rainwater flows from impermeable shale onto limestone which is permeable.

Underground, the bedding planes are enlarged and passageways are formed through the limestone rock. Corrasion and carbonation enlarge the channels to form caves and caverns. e.g. Ailwee.

Calcite rich water seeps through the fissures in the cave roofs. The water reacts with the air so it evaporates. Deposits of this can be found on the roof and these are called stalactites. It may also form on the cave floor and these are known as stalagmites.

Dripstone is tipped for this year

I have a question about the wording of regional questions. If it says "account for the development of primary activities in a region you've studied", do I have to mention 2 and split the SRPs between them? I'm doing the Paris Basin for my European region, and the only primary activity I'm doing is agriculture. Would I lose marks if it says activities and I only mention one?

For agriculture in Paris Basin, my two factors would be physical (land,soils,climate) and human (age and skill level of farmers, availability of markets, well developed transport system).

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Those essays he was posting are Yeats College Essays.

I should know.
    Parents pay 6,900 euro to have their children go there and learn off notes.... This Che Guevara Lad is very generous.!!

Is That You Evan? The lad who always wears the Che Guevara T-Shirt?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

Dapics wrote: »
    Those essays he was posting are Yeats College Essays.

I should know.
    Parents pay 6,900 euro to have their children go there and learn off notes.... This Che Guevara Lad is very generous.!!

Is That You Evan? The lad who always wears the Che Guevara T-Shirt?!!!

Well in response to your question no I'm not Evan and I wasn't aware that these are Yeats College notes as I've never actually been there. These notes are a combination of notes given to me by my teacher, my own notes and notes from Sue Honan's book.

• Advertisement

EvM wrote: »
    I have a question about the wording of regional questions. If it says "account for the development of primary activities in a region you've studied", do I have to mention 2 and split the SRPs between them? I'm doing the Paris Basin for my European region, and the only primary activity I'm doing is agriculture. Would I lose marks if it says activities and I only mention one?

For agriculture in Paris Basin, my two factors would be physical (land,soils,climate) and human (age and skill level of farmers, availability of markets, well developed transport system).

The 2 factors which have influenced the development of agriculture in this region are physical conditions and acces to to markets or human intervention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Not entirely relevant bit could someone tell me how detailed the sketch maps should be? I find getting the shape right hard enough, but putting in the squiggles and such is just impossible.

Not entirely relevant bit could someone tell me how detailed the sketch maps should be? I find getting the shape right hard enough, but putting in the squiggles and such is just impossible.

The shape is only worth 2 marks, when drawing Italy make sure it's at a tilt..you don't need to go over the top spending 10 minutes drawing something that is worth 2/20m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Cool fanks. Do they care much abut the cracks and such in the borders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Anyone have about 8/9 SRPs on the composition of an aridisol soil. I have just an essay on the characteristics but I seen the composition and characteristics came up in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Our teacher didnt do soils with us properly, claiming we'd be grand with just biomes. Opinions??

meleanor wrote: »
    Our teacher didnt do soils with us properly, claiming we'd be grand with just biomes. Opinions??

Well that's what I'm doing so I certainly hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mrkhan

anything on <Examine the positive and the negative impacts of colonialism on a developing country
    that you have studied<
    please please

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

I had completely forgotten about this :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 YMCA

Hi all,

I am currently doing my investigation on transportation and deposition in a river and just wondering what aims other people are doing. I think you need to have 5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement