Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone for 12 year old

• 01-06-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have an old iPhone 3GS which I no longer use as have an iPhone 4

I'm considering giving my 12 year old his first phone & giving him this iPhone 3 is an option but would need a SIM card.

Any advise on what to do to get a SIM card - is it as simple as going into a store and buying one for one of the networks eg Meteor.

Anything else I need to consider/watch out for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I have an old iPhone 3GS which I no longer use as have an iPhone 4

I'm considering giving my 12 year old his first phone & giving him this iPhone 3 is an option but would need a SIM card.

Any advise on what to do to get a SIM card - is it as simple as going into a store and buying one for one of the networks eg Meteor.

Anything else I need to consider/watch out for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yep a regular sim should work just fine, just in case its network locked you'd be best getting one on the same network you are on e.g. Three, vodafone etc ..

Other Advice: Don't link your credit card to his itunes account - EVER, if he want to buy a game or something get an itunes voucher or one of those prepaid credit cards.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/26/apple_settles_itunes_class_action/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flantheman

I was on Vodafone but all his friends are on Meteor so can I will probably buy a Meteor prepay sim.

Also, silly question but do I need to unlock the phone before or after i buy the Sim card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

More then likely, phones of that era were sill sold locked to a specific network. You can always jailbreak it anyway and unlock it that way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Vodafone will more than likely unlock it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Your best sim to get for him is 48. Its 48.ie €10 a month for unlimited texts, 100 mins and some data. The network is good 98% of the time and its on the o2 network masts. You might want to get an App if there is oen available to block websites you dont want your child to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

hfallada wrote: »
    Your best sim to get for him is 48. Its 48.ie €10 a month for unlimited texts, 100 mins and some data. The network is good 98% of the time and its on the o2 network masts. You might want to get an App if there is oen available to block websites you dont want your child to see

Not possible with an app from the AppStore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Three.ie has a filter on network level so he won't be able to see anything bad online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

biko wrote: »
    Three.ie has a filter on network level so he won't be able to see anything bad online.

As do Vodafone. Vodafone blocks Boards.ie !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I personally think an iPhone is an unsuitable thing for a 12yo. Sorry to be a prig - just a father of 21yo. No control over web access and social network access among other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Vodafone don't block boards, that'd be very silly of them. I browse regularly on mine using vodafone.

You can disable a whole bunch of things by using 'restrictions', available by tapping settings, general and then restrictions. You enter a master pin and then you can turn off apps like safari, and prevent access to the app store, in-app purchases etc. That said, if you do restrict the apps and access to the internet you will reduce the experience of the device.

Good luck, great gift to pass to him. A little chat on net safety and dodgy sites etc, and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Like the others said - you can block the default safari app - here is a list of kid safe web browsers you can install instead - some free.

http://www.bewebsmart.com/ipod-ipad-iphone/kid-safe-browsers/

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

ozmo wrote: »
    Like the others said - you can block the default safari app - here is a list of kid safe web browsers you can install instead - some free.

http://www.bewebsmart.com/ipod-ipad-iphone/kid-safe-browsers/

I don't want to push my point at all - just to reply to this point. How would you stop him downloading Chrome or any other browser ? and using Facebook or other social network apps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Piliger wrote: »
    I don't want to push my point at all - just to reply to this point. How would you stop him downloading Chrome or any other browser ? and using Facebook or other social network apps ?

Websites can be blocked using those free alternative kid safe browsers - so facebook can be blocked.

And downloading new apps is one of the things you can block - so no chrome.
    Password can be acquired from the parent to download new stuff on a case by case basis.

The block is pretty secure (its only 4 digit password however) - requiring a complete phone reformat (or a jailbreak) to reset it if you dont know the pin.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

12 year olds are smarter than you think and will find a work around no matter what you put on it.

Its the same as an ipod touch which kids many years younger have.

Let the child be a child, if they want to see or do something they are going to do it anyway. Whats the point in giving them an iphone if you cant use nothing on it.

Just buy them a ****ty nokia

Buzz killingtons in the house

Advertisement