Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What socket is installed with Eircom/Vodafone fiber and can I extend it

• 01-06-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd like to know what type of socket is installed when upgrading to eircom fiber. I cant find any explicit description on either eircom or vodafones website or with google. My problem is at my parents home I've run an extension cable from the hallway where the phone socket is located into the living where the nearest electrical socket is available. This allow me to power the wireless modem.

My fear is that if eircom or vodafone come to install there will be a problem with extending using the existing cable. My dad is very slow to change things so i need to be able to know so i can explain things to him and possibly help him out when i call down. Is it going to be an ethernet socket or the same old phone socket. Can I use an ordinary phone extender etc. etc.

Vodafone offer an extension service for 60 euro, but i don't know why i'm paying 60 euro for what is essentially an extension lead.

thanks in avance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

FatBeard wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd like to know what type of socket is installed when upgrading to eircom fiber. I cant find any explicit description on either eircom or vodafones website or with google. My problem is at my parents home I've run an extension cable from the hallway where the phone socket is located into the living where the nearest electrical socket is available. This allow me to power the wireless modem.

My fear is that if eircom or vodafone come to install there will be a problem with extending using the existing cable. My dad is very slow to change things so i need to be able to know so i can explain things to him and possibly help him out when i call down. Is it going to be an ethernet socket or the same old phone socket. Can I use an ordinary phone extender etc. etc.

Vodafone offer an extension service for 60 euro, but i don't know why i'm paying 60 euro for what is essentially an extension lead.

thanks in avance.

Have a look through this thread -
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056555985/362/#post84878494

Edited to add, the extension is Cat5e cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

phog wrote: »
    Have a look through this thread -
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056555985/362/#post84878494

Edited to add, the extension is Cat5e cable.

Thanking you. I tried searching boards but didn't find that thread

Advertisement