Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People in history questions!

• 01-06-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

The junior cert is fast approaching and is anyone VERY worried about history?
    How many people in histories do you have learned off?
    How many should we have learned?
    So far I've learned Éamonn De Valera, James Connolly, Columbus and Martin Luther, which was a massive struggle! Haha my history teacher wasn't the greatest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

I've learnt quite a few:
    Luther
    Columbus
    Monk in a Christain monastery
    Life in Rome
    Lady of a Medieval castle
    Washington
    JFK in Cuban Missille War
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

_ReyRey_ wrote: »
    The junior cert is fast approaching and is anyone VERY worried about history?
    How many people in histories do you have learned off?
    How many should we have learned?
    So far I've learned Éamonn De Valera, James Connolly, Columbus and Martin Luther, which was a massive struggle! Haha my history teacher wasn't the greatest.
    Learn a person living in ancient Rome and a person living in neolithic Ireland. That should cover you for Q4.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭_ReyRey_

Learn a person living in ancient Rome and a person living in neolithic Ireland. That should cover you for Q4.

Yeah I think I'll try learn those and the monk, since that comes up nearly every second year. History is not fun!

Yeah I think I'll try learn those and the monk, since that comes up nearly every second year. History is not fun!
    History is one of my favourite subjects :rolleyes:. Have a visit at the "Junior Cert Prediction" thread if you want to know in greater detail what to study in history.

History is one of my favourite subjects :rolleyes:. Have a visit at the "Junior Cert Prediction" thread if you want to know in greater detail what to study in history.

I wish I felt the same, the only bit I know really inside out is Irish history because I drilled it into my brain watching documentaries on it. Thanks, will do :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I wish I felt the same, the only bit I know really inside out is Irish history because I drilled it into my brain watching documentaries on it. Thanks, will do :-)

Congrats you are the only student doing history for the JC who knows the Irish history :p
    I know:
    Archaeologist
    Neolithic Farmer
    Monk in Early Christian Ireland
    Slave/Child/Solder in ancient Rome
    Lord+Lady of Castle
    Medieval Manor
    Leonardo da Vinci
    Rembrandt
    George Washington
    Martin Luther
    Columbus
    Young person in Nazi Germany/Jewish person
    Person In London during Blitz
    American Solder in D-Day
    I think I'll be grand :D

Oh and The Cuban Missile Crisis, can't forget that it's predicated to be on the paper!

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Congrats you are the only student doing history for the JC who knows the Irish history :p
    I know:
    Archaeologist
    Neolithic Farmer
    Monk in Early Christian Ireland
    Slave/Child/Solder in ancient Rome
    Lord+Lady of Castle
    Medieval Manor
    Leonardo da Vinci
    Rembrandt
    George Washington
    Martin Luther
    Columbus
    Young person in Nazi Germany/Jewish person
    Person In London during Blitz
    American Solder in D-Day
    I think I'll be grand :D

Oh and The Cuban Missile Crisis, can't forget that it's predicated to be on the paper!

Wow, well done!:eek: I'd say you're looking forward to that exam to show off how much you know! I better get learning, my teacher didn't even finish the course with us so we didn't get to the cuban missile crisis. I suppose I'll be teaching myself hahaha :confused:

Wow, well done!:eek: I'd say you're looking forward to that exam to show off how much you know! I better get learning, my teacher didn't even finish the course with us so we didn't get to the cuban missile crisis. I suppose I'll be teaching myself hahaha :confused:

Nah I'm just really worried if I go in and I don't know an exam question. If you're teaching yourself don't bother doing "Northern Ireland 1920-1997" it never comes up

Nah I'm just really worried if I go in and I don't know an exam paper. If you're teaching yourself don't bother doing "Northern Ireland 1920-1997" it never comes up

Nah you'll be grand, just by knowing you're people in histories you'll know most of the course already! Thanks for letting me know, I was putting that one off. Would you happen to know the most important events in ww2? My teacher just went through the blitz then left it.

Nah you'll be grand, just by knowing you're people in histories you'll know most of the course already! Thanks for letting me know, I was putting that one off. Would you happen to know the most important events in ww2? My teacher just went through the blitz then left it.

D-Day, Hitler's rise + the Nazis- that's it really

• Advertisement

D-Day, Hitler's rise + the Nazis- that's it really

Thanks a million, hopefully I'll get most of it done before the exam:confused:

Thanks a million, hopefully I'll get most of it done before the exam:confused:

Ah sure you'll be grand, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get through the majority of the exam without having to do a 3rd year history question

Ah sure you'll be grand, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get through the majority of the exam without having to do a 3rd year history question

Thing is, I had that teacher for 2nd year too. I done well in the mocks though, with a B but I think that was a total fluke. Ah well, when it's over I'll be wondering why I was worrying at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

If u had to learn 5 people in history what would u pick

examstress wrote: »

Five that I haven't already learned?

Luther
    Colombus
    Ancient Roman/Greek/Egyptian
    Robespierre
    Person in London during the Blitz

Luther
    Washington
    Roman Citizen
    Plantation Person
    Neolithic Person

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

examstress wrote: »

The ones in 2011 (except the 3rd year one) since every second year since 2006 all the questions repeat them every second year.

- A person living in a named ancient civilization OUTSIDE of Ireland.

- A monk in early Christian monastery in Ireland

- A named religious reformer at the time of the Reformation

- A named leader on a voyage during the Age of Exploration.

- A native Irish landowner in a named plantation during the 16th or 17th centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

I got 91% in the mock in history without studying and to be honest I'm worried that I won't get the A in the real thing. (Mainly worried about the P.I.H. Essays) What essays are you guys predicting to come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

I learnt the Ulster Plantation from the book. How do I tweak that to describe a native Irish landowner in a plantation? Anyone got samples?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I learnt the Ulster Plantation from the book. How do I tweak that to describe a native Irish landowner in a plantation? Anyone got samples?

My name is Paddy. The English and Scottish soldiers came and took my land. I heard the English king gave the land to them for good service. They are bringing in new ways of farming and their religion and language. I had to move to the forests with my family. They call us woodkern. Every so often we raid our old farms and steal things.

etc.

Advertisement