Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Will anything ever happen to that Crown Plaza site or whatever its called? Passed it there last week for the 1st time in ages, had forgotten all about it!
    A bit happening in July so might get going there yet. http://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-builder-takes-legal-action-former-crown-control-site-mervue/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bearclaire wrote: »
    Not Really Unfortunate, The project should be built But not by Barrett, he owes millions and a lot of people very nearly lost there jobs.
    The Project is Sound, Barrett However isn’t

But it's the project that's subject to the appeal that was launched not the individual.

The development of that location should not be held to ransom just because some people might hold a grudge against any individual(s).

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Will anything ever happen to that Crown Plaza site or whatever its called? Passed it there last week for the 1st time in ages, had forgotten all about it!

Yes.

I have no idea what or when. But lets hope that whatever it is, they are forced to consider and plan for the traffic issues. It would have been horrendous if what was planned for there had been completed - especially the way the roads in the area were when the project was started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Yes.

I have no idea what or when. But lets hope that whatever it is, they are forced to consider and plan for the traffic issues. It would have been horrendous if what was planned for there had been completed - especially the way the roads in the area were when the project was started.

Have to say the plans looked impressive but ya the traffic would have been chronic as a result. Would be great if something gets the go ahead though. Such a waste as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well if a viable solution was put forward for Galways obsession with single person vehicle occupancy(something I'm guilty of as well) then traffic might not be as big an issue but that's for another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,623 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It was very much open for business today. Looks like they’re having their sign re-painted.

Ah I was wondering if it was that simple. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Guy who runs Mr.Waffle has bought Arabica in Salthill in the aquarium unit, closed for a week and reopened Monday the 11th of December as Ground and Co

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bored of Canada

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The infamous "Claddagh Bank" to be refurbished for offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The infamous "Claddagh Bank" to be refurbished for offices.

Why infamous? What was wrong with it?

I thought I saw fisheries offices or something in it recently? It looks occupied and recently refurbished.

Added after edit: I always thought the Claddagh Bank was the building to the right of the Piscatorial School, now I see it’s not. It’ll make some office building; the view from the top floor will be amazing!

• Advertisement

I'd say you're thinking of a different place. Almost everyone who grew up in Galway in the '70s and '80s served their time at the Claddagh Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'd say you're thinking of a different place. Almost everyone who grew up in Galway in the '70s and '80s served their time at the Claddagh Bank.

Yep you’re right, I just edited my post. I always thought it was the building to the right of the Piscatorial. But why infamous?

And to be clear, its the old school which is being refurbed as offices.

Personally I'm not sure how many offices the area needs .... can't help but think it should be residential.

Chopped salads place has opened in eyre square centre downstairs. Same as the place in lower Newcastle.

Former Hostys on Bohermore has been refurbed and opening soon as Harrys of Waterlane. Rumour mill says it's Harry formerly of Harry Fitz chipper.

Former Brogans is being refurbed. Has a "licensed premises to let" sign outside and new branding "O'Malleys" over the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Chopped salads place has opened in eyre square centre downstairs. Same as the place in lower Newcastle.

Former Hostys on Bohermore has been refurbed and opening soon as Harrys of Waterlane. Rumour mill says it's Harry formerly of Harry Fitz chipper.

Former Brogans is being refurbed. Has a "licensed premises to let" sign outside and new branding "O'Malleys" over the door.

Twas O'Malleys in the late 90s if i remember correctly.

Yep. The person who married into the O'Malley business was still living upstairs up to last year. I presume he's still there.

The new pub Harrys in Bohermore is being run by Harris formally Harmack development.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

There is a planning notice on Eason in Galway SC, they want to extend into Unit 10, which is the Ashfold Collection Store, so they are perhaps recolating at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

There is a planning notice on Eason in Galway SC, they want to extend into Unit 10, which is the Ashfold Collection Store, so they are perhaps recolating at some point.

Hopefully extending, that has to be the tightest unit in the whole centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

westgolf wrote: »
    Hopefully extending, that has to be the tightest unit in the whole centre.

Perhaps I was unclear, Eason seems to be expaning into the Ashford Collection un it, so Ashford Collection must be relocating perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Perhaps I was unclear, Eason seems to be expaning into the Ashford Collection un it, so Ashford Collection must be relocating perhaps.

Not unclear at all. I think Easons is ridiculously tight, always reminds me of a 5000sq ft shop forced into a 4000sq ft space. Pity they didn't go in where Tiger is.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Twas O'Malleys in the late 90s if i remember correctly.

There used to be a great reggae night in there. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Vinnys Takeaway on Munster Ave seems to be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fargel

paconnors wrote: »
    Vinnys Takeaway on Munster Ave seems to be gone

The pizzeria one? In fairness, tough competition neabry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Sign on the door of I supply in Sea Road, says they have an internet cafe above the shop.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    Sign on the door of I supply in Sea Road, says they have an internet cafe above the shop.

Not new - been there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

lol i was up there bout 2 years ago +assumed it was their offices or where they designed stuff!

1 thing the city needs are internet cafes, even though ppl hav wifi+mobiles its still handy to
    go in sumwhere on a proper computor and do business or print out stuff like tickets etc. Often when Im in the city I do have to wait for buses or lifts, I used to kill time dossing online in 1 near the kingshead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Bredabe

When I looked online and asked here earlier this year, no one mentioned it.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

lol i was up there bout 2 years ago +assumed it was their offices or where they designed stuff!

1 thing the city needs are internet cafes, even though ppl hav wifi+mobiles its still handy to
    go in sumwhere on a proper computor and do business or print out stuff like tickets etc. Often when Im in the city I do have to wait for buses or lifts, I used to kill time dossing online in 1 near the kingshead.

There were quite a few 10 years ago, but number have gone down as demand changed.

Ones I know about now are listed here: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2011/08/internet-cafes-in-galway-city.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I used to love the one down the alley beside the Kings Head, spent hours in there, it was so cheap and relaxed, saved me a fortune compared to spending that time in pubs aswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement