Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Gannet Fishmongers have closed their Eyre Square outlet. Their others are unaffected.

And the butcher next door now has a big sign saying "Supplied daily by Galway Bay fisheries"

Sh*te!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

An Púcan opened last Friday for those that don't yet know. Very impressed with what they've done with the place - if anything I'd be a bit concerned with the amount of money they're putting in but I know they're not short of a few bob so hopefully it takes off. Pints aint exactly cheap in there either!
    Gannet Fishmongers have closed their Eyre Square outlet. Their others are unaffected.

And the butcher next door now has a big sign saying "Supplied daily by Galway Bay fisheries"
    Which one is this? Bottom floor of the shopping centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Intifada wrote: »

Yup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

An Púcan opened last Friday for those that don't yet know. Very impressed with what they've done with the place - if anything I'd be a bit concerned with the amount of money they're putting in but I know they're not short of a few bob so hopefully it takes off. Pints aint exactly cheap in there either!

How much for a pint?
    People wont pay for expensive pints in that part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

€4.30 a guinness and I believe the price goes up after 11 or 12. What is "that part of town"? None of the pubs on Eyre Square are cheap.

Was very busy on Fri/Sat, although I know a lot were investors etc and obviously people coming in for the look.

They'd want to sort out the TV projector and stick the sound on for the football - for the WC at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Was a decent amount of work going on in the townhouse last two days. Anyone know how close they are to reopening?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Little Teapot bakery opening up in the liosban industrial estate beside liosban furniture. Not finished yet so dunno when its opening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

€4.30 a guinness and I believe the price goes up after 11 or 12. What is "that part of town"? None of the pubs on Eyre Square are cheap.

Was very busy on Fri/Sat, although I know a lot were investors etc and obviously people coming in for the look.

They'd want to sort out the TV projector and stick the sound on for the football - for the WC at least.

4.30 for a guinness, they can keep it. We will see how long they will last in the winter when the tourists are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think Java John's coffee shop is now up and running across from the Abbey on Francis Street, at least it looked open when I passed by today.

And The Salthill Hotel is in receivership apparently, but still operating as normal for the moment.

Had organised meetings for work in the Salthill Hotel recently. If the service is normally that bad i cant say i'm surprised

Sweetie Pies going into the unit next to Bueno Appetito, where Vanda art gallery was. (Vanda now across the road).

Dough Bros opening a pop-up shop in the cafe downstairs from the nightclub(s) on Upper Abbeygate St, which was Dylans for a while. Still work going on inside now, might be a day or two yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Little Teapot bakery opening up in the liosban industrial estate beside liosban furniture. Not finished yet so dunno when its opening

Oh I'll have to go there! Must check out my namesake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

deisedude wrote: »
    Had organised meetings for work in the Salthill Hotel recently. If the service is normally that bad i cant say i'm surprised

Waiter service in the bar area is appalling. The staff are pleasant but can't seem to get their act together. We usually spend our whole visit trying to catch someone's eye to get a menu, order food, order drinks, get the bill etc but 9 times out of 10 end up having to get up and chase after them. Ruins what was supposed to be a relaxing night out. We always wait ages to pay another visit, thinking it can't be as bad as the last time but it's always the same. I would hate to see the business go under though, it just needs to up its game.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Yeah they're moving to Upper Abbeygate Street, re-opening Tuesday.

So that old premises is empty since the Amnesty shop closed around Xmas time. Is that a viable location for business to start up in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

newkie wrote: »
    I noticed a new hoarding in place around the long closed Boston shop next to Aldi westside. I've often wondered why someone else hasn't set up shop there.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.277123,-9.072679,3a,75y,120.2h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s3b7YMo5BNqskQld0t1_QSQ!2e0!6m1!1e1
    Aldi was closed for two days whilst it was finished off. They did not even give out 'sorry we are closed' money off vouchers - how cheeky :cool:
    I'd wager that Aldi is now busier than Dunnes across the way

Stevolende wrote: »
    So that old premises is empty since the Amnesty shop closed around Xmas time. Is that a viable location for business to start up in?

I'm not quite sure what question you're asking there?

Sweetie Pies seem to like moving - have been in at least 4 places since opening.

The former Amnesty shop building would be a good place for the right business - needs to be a destination, rather than replying on passing foot traffic though. Sweetie Pies drew people in by having people giving out cake nuggets on the street. No idea what the rent is like though, and it's quite a big space to be paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I'm not quite sure what question you're asking there?

Sweetie Pies seem to like moving - have been in at least 4 places since opening.

The former Amnesty shop building would be a good place for the right business - needs to be a destination, rather than replying on passing foot traffic though. Sweetie Pies drew people in by having people giving out cake nuggets on the street. No idea what the rent is like though, and it's quite a big space to be paying for.

Nail on the head there Mrs O'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Siopa an Pobal (aka SuperValu Inverin) closes tonight at 9pm.

Reopens on Friday as Joyces Supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Siopa an Pobal (aka SuperValu Inverin) closes tonight at 9pm.

Reopens on Friday as Joyces Supermarket.

Source ? ?

Westgolf

westgolf wrote: »
    Source ? ?

Westgolf

No sign up, but Staff are telling customers, but I misstated slightly, Change of ownership is tomorrow night, not tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

The Polish shop beside Centra in Doughiska has closed down.

• Advertisement

westgolf wrote: »
    Source ? ?

Westgolf
    • Most/All the External SuperValu Signage is now removed
    • Most SuperValu Products have been removed from the Shelves
    • There is a large box in the centre on the Shop, full of Joyce Fleece Jackets and the existing staff are trying them on.
    • Some "new" staff are wearing "Joyce" name tags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Does anyone know what part of the city Siopa an Phobail is located?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Most/All the External SuperValu Signage is now removed
    • Most SuperValu Products have been removed from the Shelves
    • There is a large box in the centre on the Shop, full of Joyce Fleece Jackets and the existing staff are trying them on.
    • Some "new" staff are wearing "Joyce" name tags.

So ...No pictures or anything....

OK, will take one in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

The soon to be Joyce's Inverin is staying open during the change over.

Some unhappy over online comments from the new owners saying not to expect Supervalu prices and don't ask for credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

You'll find it mentioned in here:

https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune?hc_location=timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭martini1

Located in Indreabhan

snubbleste wrote: »
    Does anyone know what part of the city Siopa an Phobail is located?

The Western Suburbs.

Which is a little further west than all of the West, Westside and the west side of the city. :))

jh79 wrote: »
    The soon to be Joyce's Inverin is staying open during the change over.

Some unhappy over online comments from the new owners saying not to expect Supervalu prices and don't ask for credit.

I would frequent both stores occasionally and never found that much differences in "normal/regular" prices with either of them, but never did much scientific analysis of the prices.

I don't think Siopa an Pobal did much credit since they went into receivership last year, but i never asked.

• Advertisement

The Western Suburbs.

Which is a little further west than all of the West, Westside and the west side of the city. :))

but not as far west as Baile na hAbhann/Ros an Mhíl/An Cheathrú Rua

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement