Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Passed the old Renault garage site on the tuam rd this morning and there was a big clean up of the forecourt going on with some activity happening in the office.Does anyone know whats happening there?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Applegreen have applied for permission to demolish and rebuild, dont know the status of the application.

westy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Where did you see that? I can't see anything in planning for that site.

Never mind, found it.

It's going ahead after an appeal was withdrawn.

Here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

topcat77 wrote: »
    "The fisherman" Salthill prom

Tried this place out on Sunday and the food was great!!! We did have problems with the service (lost our order!). but once we'd pointed out we hadn't had our drink order served this was soon remedied along with a complementary mini seafood chowder. i think the owner (husband & wife) was on site and looked to get in the way of front of house management and the kitchen (think it was the owner!!). over all i'd definitely go back as i think the service problem can easily be fixed and the food was extremely fresh and expertly cooked.

Agreed with this, had an incredible meal there the other day, but the service was very meh, the waiting staff were very inattentive, we had asked for a desert menu but was then promptly forgotten about, couldn't seem to get their attention at all and eventually had to go up to the little bar to get them to take our order.

The food? absolutely fantastic! Would gladly go back again, but the waiting staff need a good kick up the bum so to speak, very inattentive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Looks like Hynes' shoe shop on Abbeygate Street is re-opening. Spotted notices on the window today that they're looking for full and part time staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

huggs2 wrote: »
    Passed the old Renault garage site on the tuam rd this morning
    westgolf wrote: »
    Applegreen have applied for permission to demolish and rebuild
    So, from Cemetry Cross to Monaghan's Motors - a distance of about 2km - we're going to have four filling stations (Topaz, Applegreen, Top and Esso).

Will there be business enough for them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Looks like Hynes' shoe shop on Abbeygate Street is re-opening. Spotted notices on the window today that they're looking for full and part time staff.

Hynes arent reopening they are gone out of business. There is another shop going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

JillyQ wrote: »
    Hynes arent reopening they are gone out of business. There is another shop going in there.

What shop? The notices say that Hynes' are hiring staff...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

What shop? The notices say that Hynes' are hiring staff...

The owners havent put up there own name then yet i'm not going to put it up here then.

http://new.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/19712-hynes-shoes-castlebar-goes-into-voluntary-liquidation

There is the link on Hynes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

serfboard wrote: »
    So, from Cemetry Cross to Monaghan's Motors - a distance of about 2km - we're going to have four filling stations (Topaz, Applegreen, Top and Esso).

If it bring competition and cheaper fuel prices then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

There used to be two more Esso stations - one beside the Omniplex, one at Bradleys, as well as a Burmah where Windsors is now (all closed for a long while), as well as this one.

I'm trying to remember if there were more about, for some reason I think there were pumps at Western Motors (now DHKN) and in the GSC where Bodkin Point is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JillyQ wrote: »
    The owners havent put up there own name then yet i'm not going to put it up here then.

http://new.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/19712-hynes-shoes-castlebar-goes-into-voluntary-liquidation

There is the link on Hynes.

Indeed the signs do say that Hynes are re-opening, that they're looking for FT and PT staff who must be experienced - and to put CVs under the door (very professional looking indeed - NOT).

Someone else posted on here that another independent Galway shoe retailer purchased the building. What's not clear is if they actually purchased the goodwill associated with the business, or if they're just chancing their arms giving the outlet the same name. 'Cos really the name is just a brand.

antoobrien wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember if there were more about, for some reason I think there were pumps ... and in the GSC where Bodkin Point is now.

Bodkyn Point - is that another name for Headford Point? 'Cos there are still pumps there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Bodkyn Point - is that another name for Headford Point? 'Cos there are still pumps there.

No that's where the Pillo Hotel is.

I'm talking about the former/current Chinese (I think) restaurant where Kates used to be (which may be before your time in Galway, but I give up trying to follow the renames).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Bodkin Point is where the All you can eat buffet was (Now closed down) used to be Kate's Bar waaay back in the day.

It was called Bodkin point because the roundabout there was the Bodkin roundabout which is now a traffic light junction without a name.
    Bodkins were one of the 14 Tribes of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well if there isn't I reckon the TOP will be first to go. Really awkward to get in and out of since the lights went in, especially outbound.

It does seem absurd. On one stretch of road you'll have Topaz on the top of Bohermore on the junction, Applegreens on the tuam road, Monaghans on the end of same, and Centra just across the junction!

It does seem absurd. On one stretch of road you'll have Topaz on the top of Bohermore on the junction, Applegreens on the tuam road, Monaghans on the end of same, and Centra just across the junction!

But if you're in Renmore or Doughiska, you're some distance away from a petrol station, and have to think twice about where to find one. I know people who have to go a fair bit out of the way of their usual journeys just to get petrol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

O'Beirns chemist on Henry St has been emptied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

snubbleste wrote: »
    O'Beirns chemist on Henry St has been emptied.

I noticed that yesterday, all right. Is it closing altogether, does anyone know?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's closing.

Source; a member of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

It's closing.

Source; a member of staff.

There was an article about the closure in yesterday's City Tribune, too.

Ladies clothes shop going into the unit where Bank of Ireland used to be in Galway SC.
    3 weeks

Aldi east has two guys in hi-vis outside the store presumably to deal with wayward parking - I assume this is because Aldi west is temporarily closed..

Aldi east has two guys in hi-vis outside the store presumably to deal with wayward parking - I assume this is because Aldi west is temporarily closed..
    I saw that today they were doin feck-all when I saw them so they're just security for the store they have the PSA armbands.
    And don't worry if someone parks waywardly Patsy in the carpark will let them know fairly lively

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I was there today (peak time), saw those guys, but it didn't seem to me that any "wayward parking" was occurring.

Why would the security be on the road outside the store?
    When i saw them they were moving motorists along from the entrance area

Eh? Aldi east - does this mean the one on Headford Rd?

• Advertisement

Eh? Aldi east - does this mean the one on Headford Rd?
    Yaw loike.
    East of Corrib.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement