Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Think they need to open another Aldi in the city west.

Hopefully Aldi will get the go-ahead for the Millar's Lane site, especially now that Lidl was refused planning permission.
    I know that there were objections saying that a discount store would hurt local business, but I honestly think that the Aldi Westside would feel it most. Loads of people from Knocknacarra are shopping there and would be only to happy to avoid the car park debacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Called into the re-opened Aldi in Westside yesterday - the new layout is awful. You're forced to walk to the end of the shop to get around the first isle, then the main store is mostly long isles with no central division to cut across like the old Aldi (and most shops). If you forget something from the first isle (like bread, which I did), you have to go back to the corner of the shop to walk up the length of that isle, then you don't have access to the tills from there and need to walk back down to the corner of the shop and back up to the tills.

Shop here at least 3 times per week so will have to get used to it, but much preferred the old Aldi.

They've also two security guards at the door which seems excessive.
    Me too, I'm in there every Sunday and it had become a miserable experience the last year or two due to it's insane popularity and the fact that they are always restocking and hogging up the aisles. It had become a claustrophobic experience as you inched along stuck behind a woman with 8 kids. I rate shopping there just behind Monkey Business on a busy day for most accurate depiction of hell on earth.

But the savings!

I didn't find it any better, but hopefully it's just the initial surge with the reopening. There was still at least 3 pallet trucks operating on the shop floor blocking up the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The layout is designed to get you in & out quickly! The stuff will always be in the same place and people will get used to it instead of backtracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

J o e wrote: »
    They've also two security guards at the door which seems excessive.
    Was I there briefly this morning and I think there was just the one else guard.

Heard the guy on the till saw to the person in front of me that it was only for a little while to keep an eye on the parking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

J o e, I'm with you about that first aisle. Since the first thing I usually want to get is beer, I have to do a circuit of the entire shop to get to it. I know I'll get used to it. At least they don't periodically move things around in Aldi, like other supermarkets do.

When I was there, the security guard was mostly telling people which door to go in, as it's the other way around from what it used to be.

I notice that they re-painted the arrows in the car park, but people are still ignoring them, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Was in the new Aldi yesterday, man all the changes made me slow. Everything is different, they even switched what door you enter and exit. I'll give it credit that the aisles are wide and I wasn't hemmed in like I normally was. But the new layout really threw me and when I realized at the end I forgot pita bread I had to walk up, over, and down the whole aisle to get it. So another in favour of a middle aisle. I found it odd that the produce was at the end. And what's with the weird "annex" section to the side of the registers? The whole layout makes it hard to simply go up and down each aisle to get the shop done. I guess I'll get used to it.

The girl at the register said the Knocknacarra Aldi would open in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

They'd be better off implementing revolutionary ideas like baskets and having tills open rather than changing the layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Intifada wrote: »
    They'd be better off implementing revolutionary ideas like baskets and having tills open rather than changing the layout.

They do have baskets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Went shopping in Aldi Westside yesterday. Felt like I was in a warzone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Intifada wrote: »
    Eeden wrote: »
    They do have baskets.

... and they also have had all 6 tills open every time I've been in since they reopened. Mad busy since the refit.

One of the guys at the checkout was being trained in when I was buying my shopping a few months back. He was told if the queue goes to 2 people beyond the belt, ring the bell for someone on the shop floor to open a till. If the queue drops to nobody behind the belt, put out the divider to close your till and get back to sorting stock/shelves.

I've always used this to my advantage since;
    1. Keep an eye for 1 person behind till
    2. Join that queue
    3. *DING* New till opening....
    4. First in line at the new till. Works a treat. :)
    keep an eye for 1 person behind the till

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Must be a new policy, I haven't been in since the refit but practically every other time I've been there have been huge queues because only 1 or 2 tills are open. Pretty much rules out the prospect of popping in for one item, although I suppose that isn't their market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Oh, I had this to say about The Fisherman on first visit:
    Links234 wrote: »
    Agreed with this, had an incredible meal there the other day, but the service was very meh, the waiting staff were very inattentive, we had asked for a desert menu but was then promptly forgotten about, couldn't seem to get their attention at all and eventually had to go up to the little bar to get them to take our order.

The food? absolutely fantastic! Would gladly go back again, but the waiting staff need a good kick up the bum so to speak, very inattentive.

Now, I would like to report, the staff seemed to have definitely improved hugely, they were very attentive and quick with seating us, our orders and everything. I'd say the place has gone from 4/5 to 5/5! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭martini1

liked the fisherman very much at weeked, fish was very fresh, but chips were greasy, and the dessert menu needs more choice.

The starter menu, however, is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

The previous la salsa premises on main guard street being re done and looking for staff
    no idea what it is thou.

and MareBlu - a fish and chip shop opening beside fahys travel.

*pics attached*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The crepe/ice cream place at the corner of the market has opened yet again under a different name. Can't remember what it's called but it's As Gailge.
    It got off to a bad start yesterday as they couldn't turn off the alarm for ages.

The crepe/ice cream place at the corner of the market has opened yet again under a different name. Can't remember what it's called but it's As Gailge.
    It got off to a bad start yesterday as they couldn't turn off the alarm for ages.

Sweet Retroo?

Sweet Retroo?

Yep. But Sweet Retroo is retro now lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

An outdoors/camping store is now where Sliderobes used to be in ballybane.

Outback Jacks

https://m.facebook.com/outbackjacksireland?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Foutback-jacks.camping-and-outdoor-shops.sport-leisure.galway.tel%2F&_rdr

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yep. But Sweet Retroo is retro now lol.

Ya, looks like it's called "cup of coffee" in Irish.

Think it's a bit pidgin Irish tho, or maybe it's just the font.
    The whole sign/colour scheme wouldn't really attract me if I was a stranger to town.
    Best of luck to them though. I'll probably have a proper look at them during the week when I'm off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ya, looks like it's called "cup of coffee" in Irish.

Cupán Caifé like?

I'd say Cupán Tae are thrilled :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cupán Caifé like?

I'd say Cupán Tae are thrilled :pac:

Looking properly now:

An Pota Caifé.

Currently they have young teenage girls handing out free sandwiches. Definitely new people running it, I'd guess a family business.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

New shop front going into the former peter walsh electrical premises in foster street, looks more like a boutique type shop enterance.

westgolf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

westgolf wrote: »
    New shop front going into the former peter walsh electrical premises in foster street, looks more like a boutique type shop enterance.

westgolf
    Its called Lloyds pharmacy, the one next to Fibbers is going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Blacoe Jewellers on Mainguard Street has closed down. There's a sign on their window announcing the closure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Blacoe Jewellers on Mainguard Street has closed down. There's a sign on their window announcing the closure.

Just had a look at the fb page and it said it's moving temporarily to their other branch in eyre square centre.. Phew, thought my watch was gone!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

D Trent wrote: »

Looks like they are just sports therapy from their facebook.

La Fine Bouche on Sea Road is gone. Pity, it was a nice place

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

La Fine Bouche on Sea Road is gone. Pity, it was a nice place

What?? How do you know? I talked to the owner last week and they said they were renovating.

• Advertisement

It's up for let on Property.ie anyway. Hadn't heard she was closing either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement