Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

The Anglo Irish building turning into a hostel subject to planning.

another hostel? there seems to be loads of them popping up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

The demise of the Sentinel is a real shame, a really good read and loads of news and sport, a pity an online edition even wasnt considered . I dont know if the era of snippets and news headlines on social media twitter fb only is a good thing or not , give me a paper and some decent articles anytime...!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

another hostel? there seems to be loads of them popping up.

Indeed. They've applied for PP for 200 beds. If granted, it would be the 3rd new hostel to open in Galway since 2007.

In unrelated news, the Central Bar in Woodquay closed on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

In unrelated news, the Central Bar in Woodquay closed on Saturday.[/quote]

Like fahy foto another business closing which has been a part of their area for a very long time.

westy

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

westgolf wrote: »
    In unrelated news, the Central Bar in Woodquay closed on Saturday.

That'll cause a fight to break out somewhere in the world.

• Advertisement

That'll cause a fight to break out somewhere in the world.

Well yes.

But a trustworthy source says that the previous owner (now RIP) stipulated that the building / business is to be sold on the open market.

Given what sometimes happens with family businesses, it may be that this approach is in fact stopping fights happening.

NOTE: I have no specific knowledge about this particular case. The first paragraph is true (based on my source). The second is an observation about human nature in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Superhoops

New Apple Green Petrol station opening on the former Renault car showroom. Also Burger King will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »

There have been lots of articles about this, as it applied for and got planning. Latest returned by a quick Google is here:

http://connachttribune.ie/applegreen-create-20-jobs-galway-filling-station/

Other Applegreens around the country include BK, Spar and Costa outlets. And Others I can't remember I'd guess we'll see the same brand combinations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

biko wrote: »

They have a sign up on the site, I pass by it on the way to work every day, if traffic is stopped tomorrow will try and get a pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Yes. Burger King will be there. 25% of the sign is Applegreen. The rest says Burger King coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

b.gud wrote: »
    They have a sign up on the site, I pass by it on the way to work every day, if traffic is stopped tomorrow will try and get a pic

Not great but this was the best I could do this morning
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/672063/329835.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Cant wait, should sort out the cartel here in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Superhoops wrote: »
    New Apple Green Petrol station opening on the former Renault car showroom. Also Burger King will be there.

Car showroom is still there, now Dacia and Renault.

The Petrol station is opening on the buildings that were beside the showroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Think it's only been open for a few weeks, but Jamaican Joe's on Abbeygate Street.

Tasty out Jamaican food and really, really good Blue Mountain coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aquane69

Does anyone know when is the Aldi in Oranmore (behind Tesco) suppose to be opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

aquane69 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when is the Aldi in Oranmore (behind Tesco) suppose to be opening?

It was originally meant to be open in November, so they're overdue.

Still a lot of work to be done, but the entrance from the Castle Road side is looking close to completition, so they'll probably open while works on the Tesco side continue (which doesn't look great at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They need to tidy up that whole area, been a building site look to it for years at this stage when it should be a nice inlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

heard two guys in the gym (one of whom working on the site) reckon it will be January before it opens. Not exactly the most reliable source of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Zombee

The Finishing Touch on Cross St will be closing: http://www.finishingtouchgalway.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Curiosity shop for SVDP is opening soon in Oranmore where the Bank of Ireland Oranmore used to be.

G-stop cafe (part of the g-counter from Wellpark) have opened a coffee-and-biscuits takeaway in the lower floor of Eyre Square Centre, where the fish-shop used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

sgthighway wrote: »
    Yes. Burger King will be there. 25% of the sign is Applegreen. The rest says Burger King coming soon.

They're now advertising for staff for the new BK on Tuam Road on jobsireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

ongarboy wrote: »
    They're now advertising for staff for the new BK on Tuam Road on jobsireland.ie

Can you post a link for the ad, I can't seem to find it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was glad when HMV cameback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Decided to order a takeaway from Tamarind in Salthill this evening. We usually order by phone and pop in to collect it. When we couldn't get an answer on the phone we thought maybe there was a problem with their phone line so my OH said he'd go over to see what the story was. Unfortunately the place was in darkness and judging by the amount of post and free papers visible on the floor behind the door, it hasn't been open for some time. I doubt they are closed for a holiday as presumably if they were they'd have put a note to that effect on their website and front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

Decided to order a takeaway from Tamarind in Salthill this evening. We usually order by phone and pop in to collect it. When we couldn't get an answer on the phone we thought maybe there was a problem with their phone line so my OH said he'd go over to see what the story was. Unfortunately the place was in darkness and judging by the amount of post and free papers visible on the floor behind the door, it hasn't been open for some time. I doubt they are closed for a holiday as presumably if they were they'd have put a note to that effect on their website and front door.

Maybe they have closed down,wouldn't surprise me.its always a disadvantage to try and get people to go upstairs for a restaurant apparently. Also there is plenty of restaurant options in salthill.
    wonder would it have done better in a different premises in salthill,there are a few empty buildings out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

howyanow wrote: »
    its always a disadvantage to try and get people to go upstairs for a restaurant apparently.

High Cafe seem to manage alright? I recon it was more location than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 10,416 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

New management coming again to the chipper opposite LIDL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

New management coming again to the chipper opposite LIDL.

A fool and his money...........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement