Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

donfers wrote: »
    There's a little coffee hut built into a giant sign in what used to be an ATM - how long has that been there or am I going bonkers? Near IMC cinema

Been there since last June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Sofa King wrote: »
    Driving pass Eyre Square earlier I noticed the 'Eyre Square Shop' next to Fibbers.

They didn't seem to have a lot of stock or a deli instore.

Hope it works well for them.

hopefully they'll get the Leapcard loading facility there soon, I'd be very handy for loading the card

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Tamarind in Salthill was such a disappointment so I'm not surprised it's gone. Went there twice and it was bad on both occasions so I never went back. Some of the staff from the original Tamarind (Spanish Arch) are in Lime and it's much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Passed the spinaker this evening and there is a "site gate" type barrier being constructed at the side where you access the car park. Couldn't decide if it was for building purposes or just to secure whats left of the building.

westy

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I wasn't in it for a long time, but it seemed extremely expensive.

Maybe I just think sandwich places are expensive in general, but their prices did seem a bit much for what it was.

Maybe others disagree, but I thought it would always be difficult to compete because of that.

I would have to agree with you , have been in O Briens in Maynooth, with my son recently we got 1 cappuccino (sml) 1 Americano (sml) & a ham and cheese toasted sandwich each and it came to E16.00 wasn't great either have gotten cheaper and better elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭what_traffic

jkforde wrote: »
    hopefully they'll get the Leapcard loading facility there soon, I'd be very handy for loading the card

FYI. Centra beside Garveys on the corner have Leapcard facilities. Think that is the nearest to the Bus Station / Eyre Square

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The former Health & Fitness on Raven Terrace (between McGuire's and The Salt House) has been let and is getting a fit-out. No idea who's going in there yet, but I hope whoever does has good flood protection, as this contributed to the previous encumbent's (business) demise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

serfboard wrote: »
    The former Health & Fitness on Raven Terrace (between McGuire's and The Salt House) has been let and is getting a fit-out. No idea who's going in there yet, but I hope whoever does has good flood protection, as this contributed to the previous encumbent's (business) demise.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I heard someone mention it was going to be a pet grooming parlour?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Kelly's bar closed for renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Heard around Xmas that they were closing to change the concept/gimmick in there alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wetherspoonerisation, do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 zeitner

Franchised places are more expensive that independent cafes. All to do with nominated suppliers from head offices and franchise fees. Impossible to compete with dunnes and centra offering sandwiches for 3 and 4 euro.
    I wasn't in it for a long time, but it seemed extremely expensive.

Maybe I just think sandwich places are expensive in general, but their prices did seem a bit much for what it was.

Maybe others disagree, but I thought it would always be difficult to compete because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Id be very surprised as theyve not announced it on their site and they announce well in advance when they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Heard around Xmas that they were closing to change the concept/gimmick in there alright.

Heard talk of this when in Kellys about a month ago so think it's a planned redesign.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Former G Bar reopening as Nova sometime next month. Has been trading as 'the pub' in recent times.

Nah. Local stuff. Don't think it's common knowledge yet so I'll say nowt.
    I used find it handy for a sneaky pint when I was in a grumpy mood and just wanted to escape around the corner for an hour.

Former G Bar reopening as Nova sometime next month. Has been trading as 'the pub' in recent times.

That place has has gone through the weirdest of names over the last few years. And it's catching up with Snatchers in the most renamed pub in Galway league.

What's the latest theme I wonder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That place has has gone through the weirdest of names over the last few years. And it's catching up with Snatchers in the most renamed pub in Galway league.

What's the latest theme I wonder.

It's going to be a bar and grill however that will work.. Least that's what the newly set up fb page says.. There was a job in advertiser recently for mixologist which I believe was related.

It's going to be a bar and grill however that will work.. Least that's what the newly set up fb page says.. There was a job in advertiser recently for mixologist which I believe was related.

Interesting. Hope they install a good dumbwaiter. I would envy any wait staff able to negotiate those stairs with plates in their hands no matter where the kitchen is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

No there was something in one of the papers about this, it's the current owners/operators. Apparently they were refused permission for their new exterior on something weird.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

zeitner wrote: »
    Franchised places are more expensive that independent cafes. All to do with nominated suppliers from head offices and franchise fees. Impossible to compete with dunnes and centra offering sandwiches for 3 and 4 euro.

Centra is a franchise though (Musgrave). They would have economies of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr. G wrote: »
    Centra is a franchise though (Musgrave). They would have economies of scale.

It's not fair to compare cafes and convenience stores - totally different experiences.

If I just want a coffee + sandwich, I'll go to a centra.

If I want to sit somewhere pleasant while I have them, and hopefully read a (provided by them) newspaper at the same time, I'll go to a cafe.

The franchise cafes are always more expensive than the independents: the bulk buying discounts don't nearly make up for the franchise fees.

In my experience, O'Briens is no more expensive than Insomnia, Mocha Beans, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Kelly s was recently sold I believe to the same crowd that run the cellar so their probaly putting their own stamp on the place .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Well disappointed to hear the Galway Hospice have shut the flower shop Forget Me Not. Was doing well and hadnt even gotten into the peak flower selling time (Vday/Easter/Mothers Day/wedding season) Real shame.

Not sure what will go into that spot now in Renmore

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

It might not be the right place to ask(Mods, please let me know if it isn't), but does anyone know whats happening with the building between lally menswear and former subway on abbeygate street? Seen it walking by the other day, still empty, been empty for a while now can't remember what it was before. I know the subway building is being sold(sale agreed), just curious what's happening with the one beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

That empty unit is owned by Zerep shoes. Zerep have closed all of their shops but still own their premises. They still own the shop where Compu B Apple store is.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    That empty unit is owned by Zerep shoes. Zerep have closed all of their shops but still own their premises. They still own the shop where Compu B Apple store is.

Thanks for the info ErnieBert, I would have never thought Zerep still owned the buildings, I wonder if they are gonna put it up for rent or for sale. I'll be nice to see new businesses going in there and the former subway unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

O2 Shop on Shop Street gone today. Three must not be renewing the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

New ladies boutique opening on Market Street.

• Advertisement

O2 Shop on Shop Street gone today. Three must not be renewing the lease.

I thought Three would move in there, rent must be very high.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement