Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

dan hibiki wrote: »
    Is Mizzonis closed as well??

Seems to be, I called their yesterday evening and it was closed.

An odd place but the pizza was tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nunchuks

buzz11 wrote: »
    Seems to be, I called their yesterday evening and it was closed.

An odd place but the pizza was tasty!

God damn it, it's my favourite pizza place. Anyone know if it's permanently closed or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

nunchuks wrote: »
    God damn it, it's my favourite pizza place. Anyone know if it's permanently closed or what?

I always found it to be hit and miss to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

nunchuks wrote: »

No Idea. They knew my usual order off by heart. The pizza was way less greasy than Dominos or 4-star, and their mozzarella balls were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

QikBax wrote: »
    New restaurant going into Shop Street. I think where Lynch's is

http://www.56central.com/

If you like eating in a BLACK CAVE you will like 56.As a regular visitor to Lynch's I was disgusted with the changes when I went in this morning for breakfast.We decided to have some food,which was good,maybe they kept the chef from Lynch's,prices have also gone up.Someone should have done their homework before they ruined a perfect place to have some food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

If you like eating in a BLACK CAVE you will like 56.As a regular visitor to Lynch's I was disgusted with the changes when I went in this morning for breakfast.We decided to have some food,which was good,maybe they kept the chef from Lynch's,prices have also gone up.Someone should have done their homework before they ruined a perfect place to have some food.

Unfortunately I totally agree, i'm a big fan of 37 west but the darkness in the makeover is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Im guessing its not aimed at Lynchs clientele though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Im guessing its not aimed at Lynchs clientele though.

It would seem like a silly move though as the place is definitely big enough to cater to everyone and to even have differently styled areas. The new menu is pretty broad too, much wider appeal that 37 West so I wouldn't say they aimed to isolate anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It would seem like a silly move though as the place is definitely big enough to cater to everyone and to even have differently styled areas. The new menu is pretty broad too, much wider appeal that 37 West so I wouldn't say they aimed to isolate anyone.

No but i doubt they are catering to the carvery lover in there.

From the photos i see on Twitter it also looks really nice in there, no longer stuck in a carpeted time warp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Tried out 56 yesterday. Horrendously overpriced for very very average food. Decor is ok but wouldn't be mad about it, black cave does spring to mind!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

d-gal wrote: »
    Tried out 56 yesterday. Horrendously overpriced for very very average food. Decor is ok but wouldn't be mad about it, black cave does spring to mind!

<bit personal there, mod.>

I tried it and thought it was gorgeous, as did the other 5 people with me.

Only fault was that it was too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's get back on track folks. Do feel free to recommend places but if you have a problem with an establishment - take it up with them, not the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Back in 2012 we noted:
    foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    24 Hour Subway and Londis opening across from The King's Head. Happy happy days! Finally somewhere other than Gala in town.

It's either gone, or have serious renovations. The whole interior is being worked on, and I spotted tonight that the Londis name has been removed from the outside of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

It's either gone, or have serious renovations. The whole interior is being worked on, and I spotted tonight that the Londis name has been removed from the outside of the building.

It's going to be 100% Subway.

The Londis part was not performing as well as Subway, which is flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

A lot of people including locals didn't know it was 24hr (when it was 24hr. That stopped a while back). They didn't help themselves by not having much of the basics like milk, butter and water at night originally. The main trade was the downstairs deli and smokes.
    If they have the go-ahead to make it all food it should do alright if they can persuade certain local 'characters' to stop hanging around the doorway.

Former subway on upper Abbeygate St turning into a Spanish? place.. Taqu...something. See pic for details, including jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Former subway on upper Abbeygate St turning into a Spanish? place.. Taqu...something. See pic for details, including jobs.

Mexican :)

https://www.facebook.com/tucosmex?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Tuco. Looks like a another burrito/Mexican place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Tuco. Looks like a another burrito/Mexican place
    Just what Galway needs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Boojum is good for casual style Mexican. La salsa is good but it's just a glorified chipper at times and cactus Jacks was gone very bad last time we ate there.

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »

What is it about the eateries on that street?? It's already got seven 5* reviews and it hasn't even opened yet!

What is it about the eateries on that street?? It's already got seven 5* reviews and it hasn't even opened yet!

They probably all use the same social media marketing consultant who's short on clues.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

went to Central 56 , had a lovely breakfast , manager asked me for my comments which I thought was good, I will go back again

Friend is complaining that they don't do French Toast for breakfast like they do in 37 West. They told her they may do a bit of rejigging with the menu though.

Friend is complaining that they don't do French Toast for breakfast like they do in 37 West. They told her they may do a bit of rejigging with the menu though.

Valid complaint IMHO.

Ideally with bacon and bananna.

Valid complaint IMHO.

Ideally with bacon and bananna.

No bacon for this wan lol. We'll have to start a campaign. Never had ft myself but she has me craving for it since 56 opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Someone gave it a 1* star review as well now!

Damage limitation? Doubt a legitimate business would publicly diss another one that's not even a competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Former bar eight premises on the docks seems to be getting some sort of refurb or refit.

westgolf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

aw wrote: »
    New place called 'Tribeton' opening somewhere in Galway.
    Looks like a pub/restaurant/venue.

http://tribeton.ie/

Any ideas as to where?

Would it be what's going into the old Stage Door?

This is going to be upstairs in the old McDonagh Building on Merchants Road.
    Upstairs over where Meadows & Byrne and the Woollen Mills are.

Stroke of genius or pure folly? I am undecided.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement